Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone here hunt big game with a handgun (any type)?

During big game season I normally rifle hunt. That said, over the years I have shot a fair number of big game animals simply for the fact that I almost always have a handgun on me.

What I truly enjoy though is using large bore handguns to hunt small game after the big game season is over.

Rarely is anyone else out, it keeps your skill sets sharp, and is good exercise.

Plus the winter scenery can be truly fantastic.

So while many others are yelling at their TVs, I roam the high desert, shoot guns and enjoy the view.

I used to hunt deer with a scoped Thompson Center Contender in .357 Maximum.
    Shots were hard to come by and I should have had the gun in hand one rainy day
    instead of in the shoulder holster. Got it drawn and almost aimed and the doe
    (I had a permit) spooked. Saw several other deer that day but they were all
    moving and I couldn't catch up to them.

Have a eight and three eighths inch Smith M657 .41 Magnum. I was all set to use it in an early
    antlerless season the year I bought it. The DNR didn't hold the season that fall and
    never has again.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    During big game season I normally rifle hunt. That said, over the years I have shot a fair number of big game animals simply for the fact that I almost always have a handgun on me.

What I truly enjoy though is using large bore handguns to hunt small game after the big game season is over.

Rarely is anyone else out, it keeps your skill sets sharp, and is good exercise.

So while many others are yelling at their TVs, I roam the high desert, shoot guns and enjoy the view.

Holy Hasenpfeffer!

Site Supporter

That beats the hell out of watching football and basketball on TV! What guns do you use on those jacks?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    That beats the hell out of watching football and basketball on TV! What guns do you use on those jacks?
    More often than not I use revolvers. Mainly because I simply enjoy the heck out of them, and because I don't have to search for brass. Trying to recover brass in deep snow is a bear! N Frame .44s and light to medium loads make for hours of fun.

Obviously we could kill larger numbers of Jacks if we used shotguns and such, but that is not really the reason why I am in the field. I enjoy the challenge of handgun hunting, and even when the hunting is slow, it still beats being cooped up inside.

Every now and then I will use small guns, like this old .357 Blackhawk project gun that John Taffin donated the barrel and grip frame to complete.

Site Supporter
    More often than not I use revolvers. Mainly because I simply enjoy the heck out of them, and because I don't have to search for brass. Trying to recover brass in deep snow is a bear! N Frame .44s and light to medium loads make for hours of fun.

Obviously we could kill larger numbers of Jacks if we used shotguns and such, but that is not really the reason why I am in the field. I enjoy the challenge of handgun hunting, and even when the hunting is slow, it still beats being cooped up inside.

Every now and then I will use small guns, like this old .357 Blackhawk project gun that John Taffin donated the barrel and grip frame to complete.

Brother,

You are a modern day Elmer Keith! He wrote of shooting jacks in Idaho, I believe. Looks like you are doing the Lord's work!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Various semi autos gets used from time to time:

Hard to see, but the last shot on this badger was literally through the top of his head (I had previously been plinking with ball ammo). Aggressive little suckers. That was proof that you need to know how to move backwards quickly while shooting/cussing.

Always have handgun when hunting deer or out in woods farting around. Have purposefully shot a buck w my nickel 29-2 8-3/8th and does w my Liberty Model SBH and 27-2 5-in.

Will prolly have the 27-2 3.5-in. w me a lot this coming season as TN removed 4-in. Requirement.

Many squirrel, bunnies, possums, feral cats, dogs and other creatures have fallen to variety of pistols and revolvers in other calibers.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

User Tag List