Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone here hunt big game with a handgun (any type)?

I've hunted hogs with my P220 (45 ACP). I still have it on my "to do list" to take a deer with my pistol as well.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    I've killed 35-40 whitetails with a handgun. Some with .44 Magnum, a couple with a .357 Magnum, one with my Glock 19 9mm carry pistol and most with a Smith and Wesson 625 Mountain Gun (pre-lock) in .45 ACP. I've also shot squirrels, rabbits, armadillos, raccoons, hogs and one porcupine, all with the above pistols, plus lots of .22 LR work. The comment not to take a rifle is a good one if you're serious. I hunt from bow blinds most of the time and getting yourself within 25 yards makes the chore lots easier and lots more fun, too.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 04-27-2017 at 03:31 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I like hunting close up, mid-range, or at distance.
    I enjoy spot-n-stalk the most, but I ground and stand hunt too depending on the terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by xphunter View Post
    I like hunting close up, mid-range, or at distance.
    I enjoy spot-n-stalk the most, but I ground and stand hunt too depending on the terrain.
    Are you the guy I PMed on THR about long distance shooting with pistols? Id enjoy a post or two about your guns (revolvers and ARs) and longer range shooting if you feel like sharing. I mentioned it to someone here in a PM, I don't think he believed it was possible to get extra-long range precision from an AR pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Are you the guy I PMed on THR about long distance shooting with pistols? Id enjoy a post or two about your guns (revolvers and ARs) and longer range shooting if you feel like sharing. I mentioned it to someone here in a PM, I don't think he believed it was possible to get extra-long range precision from an AR pistol.
    Yes, I am that guy
    I can post some stuff, but I will do it a little later on.

Are you specifically interested in the LR revolver, long range rimfire handgun, long-range AR pistols, and or LR specialty pistols?
    I like to play with all of those platforms.

The long range AR and long range revolver stuff was very interesting. I think some here may like seeing your pics and info about that, and Id enjoy seeing it again. Quite impressive results.

What long range rimfire do you do? Ive only shot the K-22 at the 300 yard plate some with irons, hugely fun, but not very precision.

What specialty pistols do you shoot? I recall in one discussion of iron sight longer range lobbing in with pistols, somebody mentioned crazy small 300 yard groups with an XP, was that you, or somebody else? That started my interest in more precision longer range pistols, like XPs or AR pistols. It slowly dawned on me that a precision AR pistol was somewhat like a self loading XP. Perhaps not as practical as a carbine AR, but sounds like more fun and more interesting, at least to me.
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-27-2017 at 07:09 PM.

I have harvested a caribou with a Ruger Redhawk and Garrett .44 magnum ammo at 50 yards, a mule deer with a S&W 329 and Garrett Defender ammo at 42 yards, and a hog with a Glock 23 and Federal HydraShok at 25 yards.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have killed about 25 whitetails with handguns, mostly does. 1 with a S&W M686 357 mag., several with S&W M629 44 mag, most with T/C Contender in 7-30 waters, 1 with a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 (over kill on both ends) at 25 to 130 yards. All with optics from a tree stand or round bale of hay rest.

Boar, deer and one black bear. S&W 29, Ruger GP-100 357mag and Ruger Redhawk 44 mag.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Deer with my 4.6" Ruger Blackhawk in .357 magnum; using Hornaday 158 gr XTP; Glock 21 as backup/self-defense piece, with Buffalo Bore 230 gr JHP.

So far, the deer have been safe...

Best, Jon

User Tag List