Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Anyone here hunt big game with a handgun (any type)?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Welcome XP!

XP Hunter's host Dick is a person I hold in very high regard.

Dick is an extremely humble and generous gentleman who lives in south east Idaho, and is quite frankly at the very pinnacle of handgun hunting sportsmen.

If he decides to join here, and share handgun hunting stories we would all be better for it. He is a true "DIY" type of typical Idahoan/Western family hunter, except that he uses handguns, (primarily standard revolvers like .44s and .45s) and has been doing so for decades. He has literally killed more deer, elk and bear with a handgun, than most sportsmen will do in their lives with rifles. He is also a gifted storyteller.

I have been suggesting for probably 7 or 8 years to get him to write a book, or at least comprise all his short stories into one journal.

Cheers!

LR.
    Well said!
    Both Dick and Ruth Ann are great people. I enjoyed being with them.
    I didn't get to meet his son in town, as he was off getting pig feed when we had some downtime.
    Keep prodding him on that book.
    We have loose plans for Dick to head my way and do some doggin in my area.
    He is also wants to come to WY-SHOT in the future.
    Don't be surprised if you see him shooting a SP with a muzzle brake and a rifle scope on it in the future

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    About a week or so before you started this thread, I saw an XP-100 in 221 Fireball at a Cabelas and though it would be neat to play around with. I don't think I'd ever seen one in a store before.
    They are fun to play with and can be extremely accurate...Buy It!

Plan on doing some pd shooting tomorrow afternoon with my 357 Magnum Franken-Ruger, and some other handguns (6.5 Creed Dominator and 6x45 XP-100).
    Probably a clone Charger in 22lr will see some action as well.
    Bi-pod and Bog-Gear will be the field rests.
    Ernie
    "Helping Others Accomplish What Many Consider Impossible With Handguns"

Thursday afternoon there was prairie dog mayhem and carnage in a short period of time. 3 dogs with the 357 FR and one with Chris Rhodes customized S&W 44 Mag, and then around 50 with my 6x47 XP-100/70 Nosler NBT's.

I killed that small prairie dog standing, offhand, with no artificial support, at 125 yards with Chris's S&W Model 29DX that both Chris and Ken Kelly has done work on.
    I don't shoot iron sighted handguns off-hand without support very often...But when I do, I sometimes get lucky!

Being near-sighted and wearing my glasses, presents problems for me shooting irons. I'm just past mid-50, and my eyes will not focus through the magnification for things up close, like front sights or reading. I take my glasses off for reading and computer work. If I would have shot with safety glasses on, I would have been able to focus on the front sight just fine, but I wouldn't be able to see the pd good enough or at all (he was a little one).
    If I can see it clearly, dot sight or scope, I can hit it. I don't do that much off-hand practice, but shooting is shooting. Chris's revolver was easy to shoot.

I think the longest shot with my Franken Ruger was around 150 yards or so. I kind of sighted in the Franken Ruger while I was shooting at prairie dogs.

The longer shots I made with my XP were around 300 yards or maybe a little bit further than that, but nothing longer than 350 yards.
    This was all close range killing shooting off the bog Gear-with the PSR top. Once I put down the revolvers, I knocked off those 50ish pd’s in less than 2 hours with the XP from the seated position.

It has been awhile since I have done close range pd’s with my XP’s. Had a great time.
    Chris was killing stuff with the S&W 44 Mag, His SA 22lr revolver (iron sights), and his Dominator in 357 Bains and Davis. Chris is absolutely deadly with his Dominator!

We didn’t even start to gather up all of the dogs for pics.
    Ernie

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    It was a nice day for it. Clear from NV to IA.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    It was a nice day for it. Clear from NV to IA.
    It was a beautiful day on Thursday or sure, very little wind to boot!
    Ernie

User Tag List