Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here hunt big game with a handgun (any type)?

Anyone here hunt big game with a handgun (any type)?

Out doing some mule deer scouting today.

Inside 100 yards the 28 gets the nod.

To 350 yards the 357/44 dominator gets the green light.

Last edited by Hoggin; 04-30-2017 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    LostRiver, I never tire of your photos...especially of your landscapes and more than especially your nicely worn revolvers.

I should hunt...
    Kind words, thank you!

Cotton tail!

The full underlug Model 17 has to be the single most accurate rimfire revolver I have ever shot.

And a Jack with the same Model 17.

Last edited by Lost River; 05-01-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have harvested a caribou with a Ruger Redhawk and Garrett .44 magnum ammo at 50 yards, a mule deer with a S&W 329 and Garrett Defender ammo at 42 yards, and a hog with a Glock 23 and Federal HydraShok at 25 yards.
    I bet that 329 was pretty sporty on the recoil end with that Garrett ammo!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

The Garrett Defended ammo is optimized for the 329, and 300 something grains only doing 1,020 as I recall. I notice the smoke from that load, more than the recoil, when shooting on game.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

@Lost River,
    Keep up the scenic revolver posts. I can't get enough of them. I had to give up my 629 5" Classic a few years ago to fund a gun safe after my daughter was born, but dang I miss that thing. Your posts got me searching Gunbroker for a good deal.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Thanks for the Kudos!

If you are patient, and can stretch out a project over time, another alternative is to find a nice no-lock 629 of any barrel length. Then pick up a 6" or longer barrel (which can often be found at decent prices). Have a smith cut the extra barrel back to 5"s and set up for a DX/Classic style interchangeable style front sight, then do a barrel swap.

Speaking of scenic stuff and hunting, here are a couple of pics, and a short story. We had just come off a mountain from hunting elk, during what had to be the warmest December elk season ever. We were at the truck and I spotted a Jack. He ran off right behind a piece of sage, roughly 25 yards away. They have a tendency to hide behind sage and not move. Being cocky, I told my daughter something to the effect "easy money" and launched a slug from my 5" M29. The rabbit then ran off. Apparently I was aiming at the wrong piece of sage, as the rabbit was a good foot to the side. My smart aleck daughter snickered then says "Nice shot dad".

The Jack ran off and stopped about (if I recall right) 60 yards out, thinking he was safe. Giving me a second opportunity was not good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    If you are patient, and can stretch out a project over time, another alternative is to find a nice no-lock 629 of any barrel length. Then pick up a 6" or longer barrel (which can often be found at decent prices). Have a smith cut the extra barrel back to 5"s and set up for a DX/Classic style interchangeable style front sight, then do a barrel swap.
    I'm looking at a local 629 6" Classic for sale, however I think 4" is a sweet spot for carry and accuracy. What do you think?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I'm looking at a local 629 6" Classic for sale, however I think 4" is a sweet spot for carry and accuracy. What do you think?
    This has been my experience/breakdown:

I find the 4" guns the easiest to carry wearing a traditional belt rig, which is my preferred method. The 4" guns also have some recoil to them, and with their short sight radius, can be a real challenge to shoot precisely at extended ranges.

I do my best shooting with the 6.5" version, but find it is not as comfortable in a traditional belt rig if I am going to be getting into and out of a pickup/vehicle. If I intend to be handgun hunting, and running a 6.5" gun, I will carry it in an El Paso Saddlery Tanker rig. The 6.5" guns are very easy to shoot well.

The Goldilocks/all around barrel length has proven to be the 5" N Frame.

It carries quite comfortably in a traditional belt rig, has a nice sight radius for precise shooting, and enough barrel length to help with some of the recoil. It seems to be the perfect balance of "shootability and "packability".

There is a very good reason why the 5" guns command a premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Thanks for the Kudos!

Speaking of scenic stuff and hunting, here are a couple of pics, and a short story. We had just come off a mountain from hunting elk, during what had to be the warmest December elk season ever. We were at the truck and I spotted a Jack. He ran off right behind a piece of sage, roughly 25 yards away. They have a tendency to hide behind sage and not move. Being cocky, I told my daughter something to the effect "easy money" and launched a slug from my 5" M29. The rabbit then ran off. Apparently I was aiming at the wrong piece of sage, as the rabbit was a good foot to the side. My smart aleck daughter snickered then says "Nice shot dad".

The Jack ran off and stopped about (if I recall right) 60 yards out, thinking he was safe. Giving me a second opportunity was not good for him.

This is a great topic. Great pics and guns. What stocks are you using on your Smiths?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bill

User Tag List