Thread: Check you thumb piece nut

Check you thumb piece nut

Learned a valuable lesson tonight. Pulled my 442 out of a pocket holster and the thumb piece and thumb piece nut went flying. It never occurred to me to check for a loose thumb piece. Will make a point to check routinely from now on.

Uh huh, iv learned that the hard way. Twice.

I now have a spare thumb piece and 2 nuts in the spare parts bin. At least it's not a show stopper and the gun is still usable without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Little finger nail polish on the threads and your good

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggin View Post
    Little finger nail polish on the threads and your good
    Thanks Hoggin. I'll have to try that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    Learned a valuable lesson tonight. Pulled my 442 out of a pocket holster and the thumb piece and thumb piece nut went flying. It never occurred to me to check for a loose thumb piece. Will make a point to check routinely from now on.
    Thanks for the reminder. Haven't checked my 442 since '13 when I bought it.

I used to keep a small Craftsman 4-way flat screwdriver on my key ring; nice and flat, just the right fits for several screws important to my daily existence. One of those screws was, of course, the S&W revolver cylinder latch screw. I never had one come close to falling out, as gently checking the various screws on a regular basis became a habit. Switching to mostly Ruger revolvers enabled me to become lazy about checking for loose screws and ejector rods, and I stopped carrying that 4-way screwdriver.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I used to keep a small Craftsman 4-way flat screwdriver on my key ring; nice and flat, just the right fits for several screws important to my daily existence. One of those screws was, of course, the S&W revolver cylinder latch screw. I never had one come close to falling out, as gently checking the various screws on a regular basis became a habit. Switching to mostly Ruger revolvers enabled me to become lazy about checking for loose screws and ejector rods, and I stopped carrying that 4-way screwdriver.
    One of the most useful multi-tools I have ever seen is a Leatherman Micra. I keep one attached to a set of keys using a tiny S-biner so that I can easily detach it for use. My wife and mother in law have them as well.

Thanks for the reminder. We all get complacent and (at least in my case) forget previously learned information unless it is a painful. Far better to get a helpful reminder from someone else.

User Tag List