Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Thread: Springfield XD-E??

Site Supporter
    I would give one, or another xds, a try. *IF* a non ambi mag release could be made for them.

at ~800 rounds the pistol was exhibiting failure to lockback on empty. turns out wasn't operator error but rather the magazine follower was failing to engage the slide stop. the mag follower was jumping up above the slide stop and getting stuck on it. requiring the magazine to be pulled out of mag well. removal of the slide showed a tiny amount of engagement surface between the follower and slide stop. a little nudge on the magazine with my finger and the follower would jump above the slide stop...so there's the answer. definitely an issue with pistol as the problem occurred with 3 mags and most ammo types.

the pistol is now back with springfield getting repaired. the issue has been discussed on the springfield forums. my understanding is that springfield replaces the trigger bar to basically keep the magazine from migrating to the R side of frame (and thus away from the slide stop). hopefully this "solution" won't gum up the trigger.

Springfield XD-E back from repair, new trigger bar installed

received the XD-E 9mm back from SAI today. they clearly know about this issue as they've installed a new trigger bar that has a bump keeping the mag from moving rightward. it appears that when the trigger is pulled to the rear this bump moves forward on the trigger bar and thus pushes up against the magazine body. no doubt it's a bandaid solution but the trigger feels unchanged and I can no longer bump the mag follower up over the slide stop, so it should be GTG. if any of you own an XD-E I would check to confirm it has this newer trigger bar with circular bump on it. I will get to the range this week and see how she runs.

Why Springfield Armory Discontinued the XD-E

Lucky Gunner 🍀 01/21/2022

"Last month, Springfield Armory discontinued the XD-E -- just three and a half years after its release. As the only small single stack 9mm on the market that's DA/SA, it filled an important niche. So why did it fail? We don't know for sure, but we've got some pretty good guesses."

Last edited by BCG; 01-24-2022 at 07:35 PM.
    Yippee ki-yay

I thought it was a neat design, it reminded me of my old USP, and why I liked that gun so much.

2022 is the year I dip toes into the modern-micro-nine. Without factory support, count me out of this one.

That LG video was as excellent as they always are, and I think Mr. Baker hit the three key problems right on the head: 1) not a "semi-double-stack", so low capacity compared to competitors, 2) sized for .45 ACP meant it was oversized for a 9mm, and no one in today's market wants a .45 that size, and 3) Wrong model name, the XD name is not good in circles that carry guns.

I'd like to think a "semi-double-stack" version, appropriately sized for 9mm, and without the XD name baggage would be a more successful gun. Would it be "more successful" enough? I dunno.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    I thought Chris made some good points as well. The .45 dimensions gave it an ungainly feel in my hands. I tried it twice… just didn’t like it. I would have definitely bought one if it felt better. Though I can’t agree that the manual safety function was a big reason serious DA/SA fans passed on the the gun. I mean, that’s how USPs work… and that’s like the quintessential operator pistol.

Another hypothesis/theory/quasi-informed musing…

I don’t think gun companies know how to talk about DA/SA to consumers. “Double Action” and “Single Action” are cryptic techno babble that essentially means nothing to most gun buyers. It was to me when I was first getting into guns. I think if you could translate the functional benefits of two trigger modes—one for carry/reactive shooting, one for accuracy—into layman’s terms… people would be into it. Springfield just focused on the fact it had a hammer… and no one cared.

Quote Originally Posted by BCG View Post
    Why Springfield Armory Discontinued the XD-E

Lucky Gunner 🍀 01/21/2022

"Last month, Springfield Armory discontinued the XD-E -- just three and a half years after its release. As the only small single stack 9mm on the market that's DA/SA, it filled an important niche. So why did it fail? We don't know for sure, but we've got some pretty good guesses."

I guess there will be no more TJIAB that I have been signed up for back in stock, notifications for a couple years.
    Also, those I know who were most interested in them, would :
    1. Prefer to have either a decocker only, or a safety only model, depending on the person.
    2. Thought the Langdon models were overpriced, as a couple years back, they were on sale multiple places, from memory, around $400, with a 5 magazine deal going on.
    3. Look at another single stack gun, such as the M&P EZ 9. Which seems to be a bit preferred by some smaller stature and older people, that have handled my examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    ... sized for .45 ACP meant it was oversized for a 9mm
    I used Handgun Hero to compare the 8 round XD-E to a 15 round P-07. The XD-E is 3oz lighter, only about 1/4" shorter in height, and 0.15" slimmer (HGH lists an incorrect width for the P-07).
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List