Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield XD-E??

I like the idea of a slim, 9mm single stack DA/SA. I don't like it weighing more empty than my G19. Time will tell how this one works out, and I'll eagerly await other folks' opinions as they get more time behind this one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I think it's worth remembering that the primary job of a hollowpoint is controlling penetration. I have no problem with the idea of an FMJ punching two holes in the target, lets air in and juice out, but what about what's on the far side of the target? Those of us in more densely-populated areas can't have shoot-throughs, thus the JHP.
    This is more or less how I feel.

I subscribe to the notion that you don't need to eviscerate someone's chest cavity--or make their head disappear--to defend yourself. Over penetration is really the main concern, in my mind, with FMJ. Though I'm not sure how much of a concern that is, in real shootouts... especially those that CCW holders find themselves in. It's not like most people are going to knowingly shoot into a crowd.

Still, I usually carry JHP. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. Though my cynical side says Hornady is just trying to sell me expensive bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Except those two factors are independent of each other and controlled via different methods. A miss is a miss, regardless of if you're using JHP or FMJ, but you can greatly reduce your chances of overpenetration by using JHP instead of FMJ, regardless of you're actual percentage of hits on target. The only cost you incur for using JHP as a carry load is strictly financial (assuming it's legal in your locale), and it's not a huge one, so why not?
    I don't carry FMJ or advocate for it. I just think that the concerns about shoot throughs are greatly overstated relative to the risk they pose - especially when we look at how many rounds fired in anger miss the target completely without hitting anyone down range.

Frankly if we were to go full investigative and look over every gun magazine from the 70's onward, I suspect we'd find that the term "overpenetration" entered the collective consciousness in advertising for hollowpoints back in the day.
    Last edited by spyderco monkey; 04-28-2017 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    From law enforcement statistics on hit %, and my own personal experience with force on force, I'd be a lot more worried about the good number of rounds that completely miss the villain, then the risk of overpenetration from a shoot through.
    Right, but you can train to avoid missing; can't train that FMJ to avoid hitting Grandma when you shoot through.

There just doesn't seem to be a good reason not to carry a good JHP*

*assuming pistol is reliable with it
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    There just doesn't seem to be a good reason not to carry a good JHP*

*assuming pistol is reliable with it
    I can think of a great reason not to carry JHP, and spend most of the summer with FMJ ammo.

At some point, I will make the time to type out the conversation I had with Robbie about magic bullets, that occurred after I asked to shoot his XDs, and he directed me to grab it out of the door pocket of the same blue Raptor in the video, parked at the same place at Rio Salado, and I discovered his carry gun was full of FMJ.
    Last edited by GJM; 04-28-2017 at 10:32 AM. Reason: type better
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Right, but you can train to avoid missing; can't train that FMJ to avoid hitting Grandma when you shoot through.
    It's true we can't train the FMJ to be less penetrative, but we can train to actively manage our shot trajectories.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    It's true we can't train the FMJ to be less penetrative, but we can train to actively manage our shot trajectories.
    Cooper's rule 4, be sure of your target and what is behind it!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

So are we going to keep discussing FMJ vs JHP or are we gonnna talk about the XDE? I suggest we start a thread in the ammo section before hijacking this any further.
    Shoot more, post less...

There's ALREADY a thread in the ammo section about FMJ vs JHP (which I thought we'd left behind in the 9mm vs 45 days). It would be awesome if all this talk could migrate over there, and keep this thread clean for talk about, I don't know, maybe the GRIP ZONE?

User Tag List