Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building shooting strength - extracted from the "Hammer thread"

Site Supporter
    The key to success with any exercise program, for any purpose, is variety. While it's good to find exercises that work well for you, you'll also benefit from doing different ones. Some of the best gains I've ever had came from exercises that I originally thought were not for me. Very importantly, always leave enough time for stretching - before, during, and after.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    If you really want to do something that improves grip strength, do dead lifts.
    I love deadlifts. I feel like I can walk down the street and rip buildings out of the ground when I'm done.

I got deep into a Glock accuracy phase a while ago, and I spent a lot of time screwing around with loads, barrels, sights, etc. I saw little improvements here and there, but once I started hitting the gym regularly, everything got better. Everything you do will help IF the form is right. I'd focus on every muscle between your your waist and your fingertips first, then on your core, then on your legs. Look at the exercises already described, plus any complex, multi-joint lifts.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    For gripwork employing a cleared gun or prop gun, please be mindful of the potential for repetitive stress injuries similar to Tennis Elbow.

Farmer Carries with very heavy dumbells are good for your grip as well.
    Good thread. I'm working on a weight training rotation developed by my trainer I can use traveling. Each session of three has a different set of exercises, and I finish with 20" of cardio at 120 bpm (I'm 58).

I told him I was carrying/lifting a 50 lb hitch stinger periodically, as well as cranking on RV weight distribution bars frequently. Since I started in January, I haven't really lost weight but I do feel much safer doing things I need to do.

I also mentioned I shoot, so for Grip strength he suggested:

- Grabbing a flat sheet of newsprint and proceeding to crumple it, using only one hand.

- Putting an X in a tennis ball and using it for a grip exerciser.

What do y'all think of these?

Thanks for the Farmer Carry suggestion. Saw a guy do that at the gym today; I now know what he was doing walking those 35 lb dumbbells around. I think I'll try that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Thanks for the Farmer Carry suggestion. Saw a guy do that at the gym today; I now know what he was doing walking those 35 lb dumbbells around. I think I'll try that.
    I'm not a real strong guy, but I'm definitely thinking like 70 or 80 lb. dumbbells.

Wrist rollers are good. by keeping the weight light and focusing on the eccentric, or unrolling portion, they are similar to the flexbar Tyler twist and are good for warm ups, cool downs and general pre/re-hab.

Farmers carry with dumbbells will work your pinch grip more than farmer's carry handles, because the dumbbells will try to roll out of your hands. The handles will work your support grip. If you only have access to light dumbbells and you have the shoulder mobility for it, I think you will get more mileage out of a suitcase/waiter's carry, work the grip on one side and shoulder stability on the other.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I'm not a real strong guy, but I'm definitely thinking like 70 or 80 lb. dumbbells.
    Cool.

For me, I screwed up my latissmus dorsi (?) I think it was carrying a old bed to the dumpster last year. Had to get 'the shot' at the Ortho Doc after chuggging Ibuprofen like M&Ms for three days lol.

I still feel it sometimes on lat pull downs and similar.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    The key to success with any exercise program, for any purpose, is variety. While it's good to find exercises that work well for you, you'll also benefit from doing different ones. Some of the best gains I've ever had came from exercises that I originally thought were not for me. Very importantly, always leave enough time for stretching - before, during, and after.
    I disagree on the notion of variety. In order to make long term gains you need to progressively increase the load in some way, and that is really really difficult to do unless each time you do the exercise it is the same besides the element you are progressively loading.

For example, lets say one week you deadlift 200lbs 5 sets of 5. If the next week you decide to do Romanian Deadlifts instead and do 4 sets of 8 at 250 pounds, did you improve? There is no way of knowing.
    Instead you might want to deadlift 210 pounds the next week, then 220, etc. Until you hit a wall.

Personally I like staying with one exercise 2-4 months before changing anything

Also I perform better if I don't stretch at all before or during a workout. I believe this is typical although YMMV.

Instead of stretching I avoid injury by working opposing muscle groups after very intense exercises. When I do anything that maxes out my grip for example, I follow immediately with Hand Extensions using a thick rubber band.

For grip farmers walks are great and can be done around the house. Currently I grab a 53lb and 66lb kettlebell and just walk around the house with them, totaling about 40 yards including upstairs and turning around. I switch hands between sets and try to do 20 sets in as little time as possible. This works every muscle in the body but especially brutalizes the grip and core, and is really intense cardio.

Another great idea is Fat Gripz. They are basically thick rubber grips which go around any barbell and make it 2"+ thick. You can use them for any pulling exercise.

My Farmers Walk was in 6 50 yard pieces with 1-2 minutes between each 50 yds. Started at the back of the house, uphill and around the house to the end of the front grass (150 yards) turn around and back down.

I use the Rogue Farmers Walk Bar with 3 handle sizes, I used the smallest. I started with 100 lbs per hand and the last training cycle maxed at 132 3/4 pounds per hand. I am 59, 6', 190lbs.

Remember to work the finger extension muscles with rubber bands.

Site Supporter
    BJJ really helped my grip strength...however, gripping some dudes Gi for dear life does rub the skin off your knuckles and I sprained my thumb last week...

Still. Highly recommend. My shooting performance has improved, along with my barehanded ass whuppun skills.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If you have a Glock you use just for dry fire you could put a NY2 trigger spring in it, or if you can actually figure out how to change the pull on a SIRT you could set that for an 8 to 9 pound pull.

Although, I will say after watching all the videos on how to adjust the trigger, and fiddled with the SIRT for hours, I still can't figure it out. I wish I had just bought a Glock 17R.

User Tag List