Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building shooting strength - extracted from the "Hammer thread"

Building shooting strength - extracted from the "Hammer thread"

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    I see pistol or revolver shooting as *mostly* about isometric pressure aka strength (more like a kung fu master, than a body builder) in the correct muscles for shooting, and developing independence (as well as strength) in the trigger finger. The body naturally handles that but only as rapidly as you push it. The problem is that most exercise the muscles used for shooting, in the way they need for shooting, only when they are shooting. Lining up sights is something most anyone with vision can do. The point being - 'learning the trigger pull' does take little practice, but it isn't nearly as difficult as it's thought to be or made out to be. What *is* difficult is developing the strength in the correct muscles, the correct way when the only time those muscles are truly worked out is at the range. If you develop the necessary 'shooter's strength', a 12 lb trigger isn't all that difficult nor is holding the weapon steady nor is recoil control. There's a lot one can do away from the range in that regard that makes one virtually weapon independent with only the nuances of whatever unfamiliar weapon to learn. Preparation is boring but the investment pays off - with interest. Just my take on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post

Can you elaborate? I'd be curious to hear more about other exercises.
    First off, I'm not a qualified firearms instructor. I can relate only what has worked for me over the years. This is pretty old school stuff.

It's pretty obvious and basic isometric tension for the most part. You can use a blue gun, or an unloaded weapon, or bare hands for that matter, but it's probably better, initially, to use a prop. The trick is to go all out.. crush it. Take your normal shooting stance, or hold if you want to do this seated at a desk, and then intensify this position as strongly as you possibly can. Tighten the grip, the arms, shoulders, chest and hold that extreme tension -- and at the same time, use your trigger finger to gently tap out your count in seconds. While doing this, slowly rotate your head left and right as far as you can and still be able to see the sights (relaxed trigger finger AND neck muscles are key -- no tension in either area and that most likely will take some concentrated 'letting go into relaxation' of those muscles in the beginning). Begin with however long you can hold it, say, a tap out of 10, and work up from there. If done correctly, you'll feel it.. big time.. Begin with two or three reps of this and work up to five - three times or more a day.

The ability to fully control the weapon using a lower percentage of your strength capacity is what this accomplishes.

For the trigger exercise, one of the best things to use is an old, cheap revolver that has the usual, you know, 762lb shitty revolver trigger. The exercise is exactly opposite. You want to hold the weapon(?) as lightly as you can with your hands, and concentrate moving the trigger finger only. Slowly, ridiculously slowly, pull the trigger through the break. On every 5th or so pull, stop and hold the trigger mid to late pull for a count of 10, 15, 20, whatever, making sure your hands are remaining as relaxed as possible, then continue through break, lather, rinse, repeat for say 20 pulls (whatever you can can reasonably comfortably do) at the beginning and work up from there.

This one is working on trigger finger independence and strength simultaneously. You can also use one of those hand exercisers with independent finger springs, but the key is to, as much a possible, relax the other fingers while working the index, and conversely, gently tap the index while holding the other fingers in a one handed grip.

May seem silly, but these do work. Do this for a month and you should see a marked improvement at the range as well as a reduced fatigue level. I still do this stuff, perhaps not every day anymore, but several times a week like clockwork.

I'd be interested in hearing about other exercises, perhaps some new and improved ones by you newfangled shootin' gurus, or more old school tricks that have been proven over time. Chime in.
    Last edited by critter; 04-26-2017 at 12:22 PM.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Awesome - this is similar to some exercises I've been working on but some great points there I hadn't considered.

Thanks much!
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    Awesome - this is similar to some exercises I've been working on but some great points there I hadn't considered.

Thanks much!
    Well post 'em up, man. Don't be greedy!
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Well post 'em up, man. Don't be greedy!
    Nothing terribly exciting, I'm afraid.

For whatever reason I have little upper body strength as an old guy so I've been exercising at the gym to improve that situation. (The strength part, not the old guy part - I *wish* I could work off the years!)

I use my heaviest DA pistol to dry fire a lot and I also use a hand exerciser designed for guitarists that works each finger - I alternate working on just the trigger finger and then all but that finger, focusing on relaxing the ones I'm excluding as much as I can.

Another "exercise" I've been doing more lately - I play drums (but have been away from the kit for many years) so I've been making a point to work out on a practice pad just doing semi-fast single stroke rolls until my forearms beg for mercy.

It is a slow road but I have been seeing some progress. I really like your suggestion to just crush it with a blue gun... I am incorporating that starting NOW
    "A man's character is his fate."

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Not much to add other than grip strength is huge. I didn't realize how huge until I lost a lot.

I've be toying with the idea of getting a DA or DA/SA gun with the intent of improving my Glock shooting performance. Any suggestions?
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

If you really want to do something that improves grip strength, do dead lifts.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I concur. Recently added deadlifts back to my routine after giving them up for years (they'll kill your back hype) and saw fast grip strength improvements. Faster than expected for a beaten up, 46-year old body. Just watch your form.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Particularly snatch grip (non opposed) deadlifts. Farmers walks are good too. 2" diameter bars make all of this more of a grip exercise.

For gripwork employing a cleared gun or prop gun, please be mindful of the potential for repetitive stress injuries similar to Tennis Elbow.

Farmer Carries with very heavy dumbells are good for your grip as well.

User Tag List