Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E-Tools...

E-Tools...

Still a thing?

Any better options over the Glock version?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Still a thing?

Any better options over the Glock version?
    My fav. Carbon steel and replacement handles are inexpensive.

It has pretty much replaced machetes for me for trail clearing. I make an adjustable over-the-shoulder sling out of 1" nylon webbing with a buckle so it hangs handle down with the shovel head at 3:00 / belt level. Out of the way, discreet and accessible. Tough carbon steel. I always have one in the truck.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-92...d+steel+shovel

Name:  51qs0AiKDQL._SX425_.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  26.9 KB
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I keep my old USGI one in the truck. The only thing I use it for is tending the occasional camp fire. Pretty sure that the day I get rid of it, I'll somehow be sunk to frame and not have any way to dig myself out.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I have one of the WWII USGI wooden handle E tools that I bought in the 80s to keep in the car after a snow experience. I've since replaced it with USGI troops-folds in each vehicle. I've used them camping and they seem ok. I also have the Cold Steel shovel and it's vert sturdy

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    My fav. Carbon steel and replacement handles are inexpensive.

It has pretty much replaced machetes for me for trail clearing. I make an adjustable over-the-shoulder sling out of 1" nylon webbing with a buckle so it hangs handle down with the shovel head at 3:00 / belt level. Out of the way, discreet and accessible. Tough carbon steel. I always have one in the truck.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-92...d+steel+shovel

Name:  51qs0AiKDQL._SX425_.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  26.9 KB
    I just ordered one of these for my truck tool kit.

Site Supporter
    How's the Glock one?

Ive used the tri-fold GI shovels and the WWII wood handle ones. Both are good tools. The older one with its longer handle is more useful when digging 4' deep fence post holes or clearing out from under a stuck vehicle. With the blade sideways, its better for clearing out all the rocks you broke loose with the digging bar.

Havent used the others mentioned. As long as they hold up to hard use there may not be a lot of difference. If digging vehicles out, a longer handle is very useful. I ended up carrying a regular full size long handle round point shovel to dig myself out after several experiences in mud and snow and small shovels.

Havent had the need to dig in for cover, but after visiting the Big Hole Battlefield and seeing the remnants of the trenches of the soldiers trying to dig in with knives and canteens broken in half while under fire from the Nez Perce, I bought the WWII shovel at a surplus store. A shovel is required for camping in National Forests in any event. I havent managed to loosen up that shovel I bought in about 1987. Like a knife, spare ammo, and other basics, why would anyone go around without a shovel?
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-26-2017 at 09:07 PM.

It didn't take me long to decide an e tool was useless for digging out stuck vehicles or performing camp chores. A D handled shovel makes those tasks much easier
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-27-2017 at 01:18 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I have one of the Cold Steel tools in every car so my wife can dig up roadside flowers.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    I keep my old USGI one in the truck. The only thing I use it for is tending the occasional camp fire. Pretty sure that the day I get rid of it, I'll somehow be sunk to frame and not have any way to dig myself out.
    Physical cause and effect there.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List