Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: VP9SK

Yea... but polymer guns don't really have ergonomic safeties like a 1911.

Plus the safety looks a little lacking to me and I prefer no safeties on polymer guns.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Yea... but polymer guns don't really have ergonomic safeties like a 1911.

Plus the safety looks a little lacking to me and I prefer no safeties on polymer guns.
    Not denigrating your opinion. But, M&P executed a safety on a polymer pistol very well. I'm not passing judgment on all the offerings or those of HK specifically. However, DB has opined a number of times how he preferred a LEM safety as a home defense gun. I'll say that I've not had any issues with the offerings on the USP line.

the sneak peeks of the VP9 version do appear to leave something to be desired. I'd have to hold it in hand to pass judgment.

Site Supporter
    Can anyone confirm whether the VP9SK has done away with the awful trench in the trigger guard? Online pictures indicate that it HAS, but I'm not sure.

Wayne, first let me thank you for being a significant threat to my potential disposable income...Looks like a very neat, niche-viable selection.

While concurrently running both a VP40 and a P30L V1 (also in .40), I have a couple of thoughts that may apply here:

First, despite the relatively high component count in the VPs (and the interesting architecture of some of them, that only a German engineer could come up with and love, such as the convoluted trigger return spring...), as Wayne has mentioned, in actual fielding they're very, very durable and reliable, which I say based both on my personal experience and anecdotally from people/sources that I trust (such as Wayne and DB). While the MAC tests of several VP9s still raise some concerns to me, the problem areas they experienced and raised in their evaluations do not seem to be operationally cropping up in actual use, at least to date.

Second, the VP triggerpull is at least perceptually pretty darn light-to me, while I haven't measured it, it feels like 4-4.5 lbs. That may be a characteristic of the triggerpull feel (soft and consistant to break-point, which itself is achieved fairly quickly and without a sharp perceptual wall) as opposed to the actual pull weight itself, but it's still a bit of a concern; personally, I still prefer Glocks (especially the NY1 and minus connector on a Gen 3, and the OEM coil trigger return spring and dot connector on a Gen4). The Glocks also have a faster reset point (but the HK reset is certainly quickly achieved, just not as quickly as on Glocks).

My preference because of this is to prefer the hammer-fired LEM set-up slightly over the VP, especially if any threat management with a weapon is likely to be required in encounters where the weapon is drawn.

Alternatively, I can see the merit in a VP having a manual safety/gadget or a heavier triggerpull.

Third, the HK ergos are absolutely superb, and significantly user-tailorable. While I've long been a proponent of user familiarization significantly trumping minor ergonomic inconvenience or deficiencies, especially in the long run, the reality is that out of the box most HKs feel, operate and index superbly. That's a nice plus.

These are a handy size. The previous VPs seemed to somewhat straddle the line between duty-sized and compact, skewing more towards duty-sized. While a VP9/40 is relatively easy to carry concealed, these are easier, and still have a relatively decent magazine capacity.

This has been an interesting recent period regarding manufacturer's submissions-Between these, Beretta's APX, FN's 509, and the resurgent interest in Beretta's PX4, SIG's P320 and Wilson's new semi-1911 EDC X9 compact, there are a host of what appear to be very good choices available. Its a "win" for us, but I find myself still trying to make sure than I'm not falling victim to the "squirrel" syndrome and flailing around looking for a perfect hardware holy grail solution as opposed to working on my software with some of the excellent options already in hand...(which in my personal case is predominantly Gen 3/Gen4 Glocks). YMMV.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-27-2017 at 01:28 PM.

Last edited by RJ; 04-27-2017 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Damnit Rich......

I've finally found a striker gun I really really like (VP9), and I was all set to pass on the SK due to the abbreviated ten round grip and you show me a link to a 13 round setup.....

Not cool dude

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Daddy wants those 13 rounders for the P30sk!!!!

VP9SK

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Damnit Rich......

I've finally found a striker gun I really really like (VP9), and I was all set to pass on the SK due to the abbreviated ten round grip and you show me a link to a 13 round setup.....

Not cool dude
    What can I say...I'm an enabler.

13+1 is nice. I have a USPc mag with a P2000 Xgrid sleeve I've used, but it does not look as nicely blended into the grip as these look. I heard they were coming in November. Definitely going to try and grab a sku to do a search on and see if I can order a couple of these. I assume (hope) that they fit in a P30SK.

My assortment:

Last edited by RJ; 04-27-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Isn't the factory 13 round extended option going to be later in the year? I know they have sleeves but I would want a solid one piece. I hate how the x-grip extensions slide around when not inserted into the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Isn't the factory 13 round extended option going to be later in the year? I know they have sleeves but I would want a solid one piece. I hate how the x-grip extensions slide around when not inserted into the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think I saw November.

Agree on the X Grip. I am not a fan, and carry 10+1 at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List