Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: VP9SK

I picked up a new VP9sk, with night sights and three mags for $575, during a weak moment, and got to the range with it this afternoon. I shot 120 rounds, mostly PMC 115 and 20 Gold Dot 124+P. No stoppages, great shooting pistol, with very soft recoil. I wasn't using a timer, but I shot six Garcia dots from 7 yards, and all shots were in. Sights are drive the dot, or a few inches below POA at 25 yards.

The 3x5 is a 25 yard offhand group with Gold Dot, that a quick measure shows about 2 1/4 inches. The eight inch circle is five shots at 25 and five shots at 50 yards, all offhand. About a five inch group with the "flyer" taking it to about six inches.

Name:  IMG_2579.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  22.9 KB

We live in the most amazing time for handguns. The VP9sk is great, the P10C is great, and a buddy just got a Beretta APX and FN -- gushing about them, too.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I am constantly thinking of my next gun it seems, but just don't think I will find something I like as much as the VP9SK. It fits perfectly in my hand. I can conceal it easier than any pistol I've ever owned. It conceals easier than my former carry gun the G26. I really enjoy shooting it and expect to pass 1000 rounds with zero failures tomorrow morning. I do wish it had a gadget bc I'd like to AIWB with a bit more confidence. Also- unlike my glocks- I've not done one thing to the gun. No stipling, no new sights, nothing at all. IMO if you are looking for an amazing gun that is a bit bigger and easier to shoot than the G26, but conceals better than a G19- this is a great option.
    Last edited by holmes168; 07-28-2017 at 10:36 PM.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    We live in the most amazing time for handguns. The VP9sk is great, the P10C is great, and a buddy just got a Beretta APX and FN -- gushing about them, too.
    So true! When I bought a Sig M11-A1 last week I handled the HK VP9 while I was waiting. Oh my God Almighty...I've never hand a pistol that completely melted into my hand like it did. I can't think about anything else now! My FN's are such amazing pistols to shoot that they make me forget that I am a self profest 1911 nut. We truly are living in a time of amazing pistols. By the way that M11-A1 is so strangely accurate I thought someone else was shooting it.

For two somewhat similar pistols, it is interesting how different the VP9SK and P-10C are.

The CZ is like a steak and baked potato, compared to the HK being like a fancy French restaurant. CZ grip is basically straight, where the HK is rounded, has a ridge on the bottom at the front of the magwell, and magazines that continue the grip. That lip on the HK falls in the wrong spot for my wife's smaller fingers, as her small finger wants to fall on the lip. I really need the finger groove magazine, as with flat base plates the edge hits my small finger in a bad place. Here she is holding it:

Name:  IMG_2580.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  58.0 KB

Started my session this afternoon, shooting the VP9SK. It is crazy accurate for a little gun. I shot one group at about 30 yards, and four shots were 1.5 inches, and the fifth no doubt me, dragged the group out to about 2.5 inches. That was with PMC 115 ball, which I don't think of as an "accuracy load." Shot a bunch of arrays, and it is extremely soft shooting for a compact pistol.

My wife shot it some, thought it was fine, but pronounced it was not a contender to replace her G26.

What is nice with the LE package, is add a holster and you basically are ready to go between magazines and tritium sights. It fits perfectly in my JM George for the VP9 full size. My only nit, is I wish the sights were tip of the front sight instead of drive the dot, and the trigger while good, has a bit of grit after the wall, which I only notice in 50 yard type shooting.

Think of this gun as a P30SK with a good trigger.

Started my session this afternoon, shooting the VP9SK. It is crazy accurate for a little gun. I shot one group at about 30 yards, and four shots were 1.5 inches, and the fifth no doubt me, dragged the group out to about 2.5 inches. That was with PMC 115 ball, which I don't think of as an "accuracy load." Shot a bunch of arrays, and it is extremely soft shooting for a compact pistol.

My wife shot it some, thought it was fine, but pronounced it was not a contender to replace her G26.

What is nice with the LE package, is add a holster and you basically are ready to go between magazines and tritium sights. It fits perfectly in my JM George for the VP9 full size. My only nit, is I wish the sights were tip of the front sight instead of drive the dot, and the trigger while good, has a bit of grit after the wall, which I only notice in 50 yard type shooting.

Think of this gun as a P30SK with a good trigger.
    I was reviewing the JM website- based on your experience today- would you recommend getting a VP9SK holster or holster for the VP9 and swap each pistol. I have enough in the budget this month for one pistol. With it being summer in Texas- I am pretty sure that I will be in short sleeve t-shirts for a few more months. My current holster is from DSG Arms and is for the VP9. The SK fits perfectly though.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    I was reviewing the JM website- based on your experience today- would you recommend getting a VP9SK holster or holster for the VP9 and swap each pistol. I have enough in the budget this month for one pistol. With it being summer in Texas- I am pretty sure that I will be in short sleeve t-shirts for a few more months. My current holster is from DSG Arms and is for the VP9. The SK fits perfectly though.
    Ask Tony, as he is the expert!

Ask Tony, as he is the expert!
    Not Tony, but I would default to running the full size length holster if going AIWB... the extra length will add comfort and reduce the tendency of the gun to want to spill over top the belt with movement.

I didn't intend it to be, but my practice session today was almost all VP9SK.

Here is the good. No stoppages, and I am through about 500 rounds. It hucks the brass out and just feels reliable. It is a very accurate pistol. I went one for one on eight inch steel to 80 yards, and then was 5/5 support hand only, on an eight inch plate at 40 yards. You do not feel like you are shooting a compact pistol when engaging targets at distance. I shot Gabe's test at the turbo level from concealed AIWB and open carry.

Here is the less good. Gun handling suffers from being a compact pistol. Draws take more attention, and are a bit slower and easier to screw up, compared to a full size grip pistol. Reloads for me, are like a monkey humping a football.

Anyone put a gauge on the trigger -- I am guess 5.5 pounds?

I didn't intend it to be, but my practice session today was almost all VP9SK.

Here is the good. No stoppages, and I am through about 500 rounds. It hucks the brass out and just feels reliable. It is a very accurate pistol. I went one for one on eight inch steel to 80 yards, and then was 5/5 support hand only, on an eight inch plate at 40 yards. You do not feel like you are shooting a compact pistol when engaging targets at distance. I shot Gabe's test at the turbo level from concealed AIWB and open carry.

Here is the less good. Gun handling suffers from being a compact pistol. Draws take more attention, and are a bit slower and easier to screw up, compared to a full size grip pistol. Reloads for me, are like a monkey humping a football.

Anyone put a gauge on the trigger -- I am guess 5.5 pounds?
    I am almost at 1,000 rounds know with only one stoppage- that was with my own reload- so can't say it was the 9sk. Funny you mention the reloading aspect- I spent 15 minutes working the paddles on my VP's against a G19. I found that using my index finger on the paddle was faster/easier than using my thumb on the 19.

BTW- my wife loves your Alaska journal- if we knew about finding work up that way- we would seriously consider it once the last kid is out of the house in 21 months and 3 weeks (but who's counting).

User Tag List