Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First home built Chinese Aircraft carrier launched

Site Supporter

First home built Chinese Aircraft carrier launched

https://news.usni.org/2017/04/26/vid...rcraft-carrier

Neat Chinese animation of its construction. Of course, folks will say it doesn't match a new Ford class or the older US carriers but it's clear China is the blue water game.

Will the Japanese be in the game? They have those large helicopter carriers. The world will be interesting.

I wonder if they serve up General Tao's on board or bring in exotic McDonald's once in a while.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    The real rule of warfare for the USA is only to fight countries that will bring new and good take out to the country. In good ol' San Antonio, I sat down for a bowl of Pho yesterday and have a favorite Middle Eastern restaurant. They are springing up all over the city.

China - fought them in Korea
    Korea - we fought them
    Mexico - we fought them
    Viet Nam - we fought them - and got Thai from our bases there.
    Middle Eastern - need I say more.

Anyway, you are diverting me from a serious discussion of the future Mahan-ian battle for the oceans. Budding Tom Clancy-oids are already writing crappy naval novels.

God help us if we fight the British again.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The real rule of warfare for the USA is only to fight countries that will bring new and good take out to the country. In good ol' San Antonio, I sat down for a bowl of Pho yesterday and have a favorite Middle Eastern restaurant. They are springing up all over the city.

China - fought them in Korea
    Korea - we fought them
    Mexico - we fought them
    Viet Nam - we fought them - and got Thai from our bases there.
    Middle Eastern - need I say more.

Anyway, you are diverting me from a serious discussion of the future Mahan-ian battle for the oceans. Budding Tom Clancy-oids are already writing crappy naval novels.
    Following that logic, I hope we fight Malaysia soon. Not enough Malay take-out here. Thai comes close, but...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Peru, we've got our eye on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I wonder if they serve up General Tao's on board or bring in exotic McDonald's once in a while.
    General Tso's Chicken? Why would they serve Mexican food on an Chinese warship?

Having a carrier doesn't mean much if they're still trying to figure out how to actually run carrier ops, IMO. The PLAN's got a pretty cool piece of hardware now, but the real key will be how long it'll take for them to master the concept of a CVBG.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 04-26-2017 at 11:08 AM.

Site Supporter
    How long did it take the Japanese? Plus they have years of experience from the USA, UK and Japan to read up on.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    God help us if we fight the British again.
    Don't like fish n chips and warm beer? WTF is wrong with you?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    The local fish and chips outfit based on a British chain folded here. Of course, the British are now fitting out two large carriers but don't really have the planes for them to be fully functional.

User Tag List