Page 97 of 152 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Sofa king good

Name:  B38D4F4A-C72C-4F70-9C41-1C0D8173C4AC.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  83.5 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I need to go back and read this thread.

I've eschewed gas grills now that my wonderful family got me a pellet grill. My favorites so far are 11-12 ounce New York Strips, which the meat market sells for between $5-$6 each....far better meat than anything in the grocery store. So far, only used mesquite and maple bourbon pellets. Burgers/brats/chicken have been good, too.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Sofa king good

Name:  B38D4F4A-C72C-4F70-9C41-1C0D8173C4AC.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  83.5 KB
    I LOVE those ribs. I always buy them cut as full (long) ribs, but cut your way would make for some more manageable bites. I'd eat them every day if it wasn't for the massive fat content. Serving them as morsels would be much easier on my cholesterol.

Like, Like!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter

Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    .....11-12 ounce New York Strips, which the meat market sells for between 5$ - 6$ each......
    If I could find NY strips that cheap, I might not eat anything else [emoji1]

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I need to go back and read this thread.

I've eschewed gas grills now that my wonderful family got me a pellet grill. My favorites so far are 11-12 ounce New York Strips, which the meat market sells for between $5-$6 each....far better meat than anything in the grocery store. So far, only used mesquite and maple bourbon pellets. Burgers/brats/chicken have been good, too.
    FWIW, we really enjoy the Pit Boss Competition Blend. More mellow than mesquite and more flavors than fruit wood.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-40...ets/1000332371
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Ribs today

Time to wrap!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    FWIW, we really enjoy the Pit Boss Competition Blend. More mellow than mesquite and more flavors than fruit wood.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-40...ets/1000332371
    Thanks for the heads up!
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Interesting goings on related to my new ThermoWorks Smoke.

First, I seem to have gotten the gateway to pair but not connected to the WiFi so that’s a thing I’ll have to figure out.

The other is that the Smoke probe is reporting a vastly different temp than the built- in thermometer on my smoker. I know that for a lot of people this is a “duh” but mine has historically been pretty close to accurate.

I checked the probes in booking water so I know they are reporting accurately at 212 anyway.

I’m not really sweating either thing today and I’m just gonna let it ride, but both will bear sorting out in the future.
    Revisiting this since I’ve had it awhile and used it several times.

First, the pairing and WiFi issues are basically gone. I leave the gateway plugged in nearby to the smoker, and the probes hanging out of the smoker, and when I want to cook I plug them in to the module, it pairs to the gateway, and we are off. I had still been using the traditional remote to keep an eye on things, but last week I got an Apple Watch and there’s a Thermoworks app for the watch so I tried it out.

I think I’m ready to be done with the traditional remote! My complaint with other work remotes has been that I don’t want to keep digging out my phone, but glancing at the watch is SO much easier. And you can add the Thermoworks app as a complication on the watch face to make it even easier to check.

My one minor issue is that I appear to be doing something wrong with the way I archive the cooks so I can’t seem to find my “history” but I don’t know how much I really care about that at this point.

I’ve been contemplating a pellet smoker for awhile now, and I literally like this feature so much that one selection criteria is likely to come down to whether or not they have a Watch app.

What you get when you first tap on the complication
    Name:  E74EF82F-FE4A-4154-96FC-975084EC4B9F.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  35.6 KB

What the alerts look like when they pop up
    Name:  B7121A71-CA8A-4CD3-B28E-A54A99A550B0.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  38.4 KB

This guy didn’t move from this spot all day Saturday, and for yesterday’s cook I didn’t even turn it on.
    Name:  E34CD544-4EC7-4273-9282-86DBFDE594D3.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  71.4 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

The Big Green Egg got a workout yesterday. I put 2 whole chickens on at noon, keeping the temperature at an indicated 250* using just the vents. The day before, I cleaned the chickens, and dumped a half a shaker of LaRue Dillo Dust on them. At 2, I threw some sausages on to finish up with the chicken. Checked the temp of the birds at 1600 and they were at 159*. Pulled both birds and the sausages off and stuck a couple of rib eyes. Brought them up to 105*, pulled them off the fire, opened up the bottom vent, removed the top and waited for the temperature to climb. In short order, the dome temp indicated 650*. Threw the steaks on for a couple minutes, flipping halfway through, to sear the outside. Centers were pink and 120*.

This afternoon, I fired it up again and grilled burgers and hotdogs. My only regret with the BGE is not getting an XL. But they didn’t have an XL when we bought our large one so.....l.

Site Supporter
    A beginner question here. Pretend you're talking to someone whose cooking experience is PBJ's and frozen pizza.

My Dad used to cook burgers and hot dogs a couple times a year on a charcoal grill. If I wanted to cook, say, 6 or 8 burgers at a time over a charcoal grill, what do I need? Any old cheap grill that's sold at Lowe's? And what charcoal do I want?

I'm not interested in nor do I frankly have the time to spend a day marinating this or that and making things just so. I'm frankly a caveman compared to most of you, and that is not likely to change if we're being honest. But I'd like to dip my toes into a simple charcoal grilling setup. Any tips for a beginner are welcome and sorry for the intrusion into what is probably an otherwise very upscale thread LOL!

User Tag List