Page 92 of 152 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Looks good. We saved our bones to boil for beef stock.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

It’s getting there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Got nervous and pulled the ribs too early I think. More fat than I’d have liked. Coolered them for a couple of hours that totally should have been cooker time.

Also, kept it about 230-250 all day. Probably go hotter next time too.

The meat, however, was fantastic.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Got nervous and pulled the ribs too early I think. More fat than I’d have liked. Coolered them for a couple of hours that totally should have been cooker time.

Also, kept it about 230-250 all day. Probably go hotter next time too.

The meat, however, was fantastic.
    The last beef ribs I did were horrible, too much fat. Just like you the meat was excellent just had to trim the fat off. It’s actually been pretty hard finding good ribs that are in in 3-4 bone rack that don’t have too much fat. I’ve seen some really good single bone rib cuts in the butcher case that have really good marbling but I don’t want to pay the premium for the prep.

All finished up.

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    The last beef ribs I did were horrible, too much fat. Just like you the meat was excellent just had to trim the fat off. It’s actually been pretty hard finding good ribs that are in in 3-4 bone rack that don’t have too much fat. I’ve seen some really good single bone rib cuts in the butcher case that have really good marbling but I don’t want to pay the premium for the prep.
    I *think* that cooking hotter to a higher internal temp would be better. After my beef back ribs debacle I was very worried about cooking at too high a temp, and watching them shrink down so much on the bone led me to pull them off too early.

Next time I’m going to shoot to cook them at about 275, and not pull them off the s over until they hit 205 confirmed at multiple check points.

Here’s how this batch looked when I started slicing. Took them off the smoker about 3:30 and started slicing about 5:30 after two hours wrapped in butcher paper in a cooler. The good news is that all that resting didn’t seem to hurt the crust at all. I’m finding that wrapping in butcher paper vs foil (as I used to) makes a ton of difference in that department.

Name:  93D9FF15-4BC1-411C-92AF-6A33BC685C9A.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  3396AEB9-BE9A-4795-8CD5-EE0C6BA2EBBB.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  53.8 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I *think* that cooking hotter to a higher internal temp would be better. After my beef back ribs debacle I was very worried about cooking at too high a temp, and watching them shrink down so much on the bone led me to pull them off too early.

Next time I’m going to shoot to cook them at about 275, and not pull them off the s over until they hit 205 confirmed at multiple check points.

Here’s how this batch looked when I started slicing. Took them off the smoker about 3:30 and started slicing about 5:30 after two hours wrapped in butcher paper in a cooler. The good news is that all that resting didn’t seem to hurt the crust at all. I’m finding that wrapping in butcher paper vs foil (as I used to) makes a ton of difference in that department.

Name:  93D9FF15-4BC1-411C-92AF-6A33BC685C9A.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  3396AEB9-BE9A-4795-8CD5-EE0C6BA2EBBB.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  53.8 KB
    Damn. That looks fantastic.

In case anyone is looking to shave a couple bucks off a thermapen price and/or wants one in PF Orange before they are gone.
    https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermape...Eg01-TkkctmI6Q

Site Supporter

Those look awesome.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Name:  05BDFECA-C15F-4643-AB0C-88CFECCFEC09.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  69.1 KB

Name:  5879A0F3-7EB3-4752-A119-AE38A9F1FA38.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  54.9 KB

Nothing fancy but I was playing with my titanium Firebox I got for Christmas. I’m looking forward to taking it camping.

User Tag List