Page 69 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm working on just returning it. I don't need something that's going to be a headache and source of stress. I've got those already. Having to call the mothership 3 times in 5 hours has not left me with any trust in the QC processes. "Bad firmware shipped" and "bad control boards we are aware of" aren't confidence inspiring.
    Can't blame you. Sorry your experience is so much different than mine. If I had known I would have never recommended them to you.

I'm working on just returning it. I don't need something that's going to be a headache and source of stress. I've got those already. Having to call the mothership 3 times in 5 hours has not left me with any trust in the QC processes. "Bad firmware shipped" and "bad control boards we are aware of" aren't confidence inspiring.
    Dang, sorry to hear that too.

Interesting when I read your post about why you chose Green Mountain with one of the big things being sold by a local small shop with real people instead of a big box store.

I just purchased my first Traeger for the same reason. It was ACE Hardware, which I know some people consider a big box store. However I know the manager, owner personally. He threw in some free bags of pellets, assemble the grill and delivered it directly to my house which for them was a 35 minute drive out into the Boondocks.

Haven't had a chance to use it yet to see how well it works. Hopefully we'll get that done over Thanksgiving

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Can't blame you. Sorry your experience is so much different than mine. If I had known I would have never recommended them to you.
    Definitely not your fault, and it'd probably be fine if I just replaced the control board. I am just at the end of my rope with stuff to fuck with.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Definitely not your fault, and it'd probably be fine if I just replaced the control board. I am just at the end of my rope with stuff to fuck with.
    If I were to buy a new one, I would buy the "Choice" model without the wifi. I have wifi on the Davy Crockett and I don't find it all that useful. My old Daniel Boone works great with just the standard controller.

My buddy at work has the DB "Choice" and loves it.

Well, I'm about to divorce the Green Mountain family. The software update didn't fix it. I noticed it was making nasty smoke, checked my phone and the temp was down almost 100 degrees, I went out and it was shoving pellets in but no fan again. 5 hours of ownership, 3 calls to the mothership, and they want to send me a control board and fan to install.
    The shear possibility of this, whether with a brand new smoker or one that's getting old, is what keeps me in my charcoal smoker more than anything else. I can get the "remote control" aspect if I want it (currently just adding the remote monitoring via a new thermometer, but can also add options for automating the actual temp control) but at the end of the day the smoker itself is a metal box with a damper in it. Much less to break.

I get that lots and lots of people have zero problems with their smoker of choice and run them for decades making award winning bbq... that's just not likely to be the case for me as I seem to have a knack for getting the "bulletproof, guarantee" item and having it break anyway.

Maybe that's why I'm so loyal to Colt ARs. Probably the only thing in my life that's ever lived up to my expectations...
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    You are 4given.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    You are 4given.
    Yes I am!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    If I were to buy a new one, I would buy the "Choice" model without the wifi. I have wifi on the Davy Crockett and I don't find it all that useful. My old Daniel Boone works great with just the standard controller.

My buddy at work has the DB "Choice" and loves it.
    I didn't care about the wifi, but the prime allegedly had a better controller, two probes built in instead of one, more built in shelving and the rotisserie option. If it had been just the wifi, I wouldn't have spent the extra.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The shear possibility of this, whether with a brand new smoker or one that's getting old, is what keeps me in my charcoal smoker more than anything else. I can get the "remote control" aspect if I want it (currently just adding the remote monitoring via a new thermometer, but can also add options for automating the actual temp control) but at the end of the day the smoker itself is a metal box with a damper in it. Much less to break.
    If I ever decide to spend too much money to cook on a fire again, I'll go with a fancier offset. I have a remote temperature doo-dad from ThermPro (Amazon) and it works quite well. Actually better then the GMG, which doesn't alert you to low temperature.

On a side note, GMG customer service was great and got me a return authorization within a few hours. I'm less impressed with the dealer, who made the whole thing harder then it had to be, IMO.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Wifi seemed silly for me, but it was included in my Recteq. I've used it far more than I ever imagined. I've been out and about and got alarms, changed temps, etc.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Bone-in ribeye on the Kamado last night. Have had it for about 8 months now and it has become, by far, my favorite way to cook.

Name:  0841AE07-F968-4279-8AF7-FEA279F3C06F.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  53.8 KB
    Name:  B8ECDA2E-D719-4A6B-974E-79B190910EC2.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  92.9 KB

User Tag List