Page 66 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Site Supporter
    I forgot to grab a pic of the smoked ribeye roast I did on Saturday. I got a bit of a late start after smoking a bunch of turkey breast and tilapia. We were drooling hungry. The pic below was made possible by my daughter arriving late.

4.5 pound roast with ribs.
    Dry aged 3 days then rubbed with brown mustard, kosher salt and an espresso/chili rub we found at the local market. Aged 2 more days.
    Low smoked for 2.5 hours to 105'F (mix of Pit Boss Championship and Hickory pellets)
    Seared on the flat top skillet 1 minute per side, and then again over flame until it hit 115'F. Rested ~5 minutes to 122'F.
    De-boned and cut into slices.

Toppings.
    I pan fried some chunky diced onions, green chilies and pureed garlic.
    Wife made a tapenade of oven roasted cherry tomatoes marinated in fresh garlic, kosher salt and spices.
    Both were excellent.

Apologies for the rice. I love my daughter but she's still working on her acceptance of roasted Brussels sprouts with balsamic vinaigrette.

Name:  Rib.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  40.2 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I trend towards Asian flavors anyway, so I may use dehydrated soy sauce and some garlic too.
    Done that myself...

pat

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Today was the first time I had the grill AND smoker going at the same time. I did burgers, veggies, and white fish on the grill. Two whole chickens, spatchcock style, and shrimp in the smoker. I did the organ meats from the chickens on the grill just because. They cheated me a heart, or one of the chickens was the tin man. Everything is done but the chickens. They are at 154 degrees at the thigh right now.

I had to go to Home Depot this morning to pick up some paint and looked at the Traeger grills while I was there. What's the difference between Traeger and Green Mountain? I wonder if anyone will be doing a Black Friday deal on either.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Today was the first time I had the grill AND smoker going at the same time. I did burgers, veggies, and white fish on the grill. Two whole chickens, spatchcock style, and shrimp in the smoker. I did the organ meats from the chickens on the grill just because. They cheated me a heart, or one of the chickens was the tin man. Everything is done but the chickens. They are at 154 degrees at the thigh right now.

I had to go to Home Depot this morning to pick up some paint and looked at the Traeger grills while I was there. What's the difference between Traeger and Green Mountain? I wonder if anyone will be doing a Black Friday deal on either.
    I have both.
    I started out with a Traeger Lil' Tex when they first came out. That grill is old . I still use as an overflow or backup. I'm going to put the tailgater kit on, which allows the legs to fold. I think it will be great for hunting camp, when paired with an inverter and battery.

I "graduated" to a Green Mountain Daniel Boone Prime a couple years ago, which is actually runs on DC, but uses an inverter to run on 120V AC. That is really handy if the power goes out, I actually ran it off my pickup a few time.

In a nutshell, they both do the same thing, it just seems like the Green Mountain does it a bit better.
    I always tell people, the Green Mountain is everything that Traeger wanted to be.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Name:  20201109_145625.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  49.1 KB

My order from Spices Inc arrived today. If you're making your own rubs, you can usually get a pound from them for what 2-3 of the little jars at the grocery go for of any given spice, plus they have a wide variety.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Name:  20201109_145625.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  49.1 KB

My order from Spices Inc arrived today. If you're making your own rubs, you can usually get a pound from them for what 2-3 of the little jars at the grocery go for of any given spice, plus they have a wide variety.
    I will have to give them a try. The company that made my favorite blackening seasoning went out of business. Need something to replace it with.

Thanks

I’ve ordered some spices from spiceology. They have been pretty good so far and I use the Chimichurri spice mix the most on almost all veggies and potatoes.

I have a sunflower allergy that I’m not going to test since it almost killed me when I was three so I try to read labels as much as I can and actually had to remove a few spice mixes from my cart due to sunflower/sunflower oil as an ingredient/anti caking.

They do have a lot of pre mix blends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    I’m anti full bird turkey this year. Last few years it was too damn hard to carve up 3 birds with everyone in the way. Last year I did 3 turkey breasts all different seasonings/injections. This year I’m going non traditional and doing a wagyu brisket, 1 turkey breast and most likely pulled pork. I haven decided on the sides yet. Regardless it will be a long night Wednesday and a really busy Thursday morning/afternoon as I will be trying to do it all 100% on the Yoder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We did pulled pork last year. Everyone seemed to love it. It was a nice change from the other dinners and still paired well with all the sides. The leftovers keep better than turkey IMO. Vacuum seal ~2lbs of pulled pork, freeze it, and it reheats well.

This year I've been asked to do chicken instead of turkey, which I'm OK with. A simple brine with lemon and salt, then liberally season with rosemary and garlic.

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    I’ve ordered some spices from spiceology.
    I’ll check them out. The CEO of Penzey’s spammed me with a pro Biden email. Fuck him.
    Ignore Alien Orders

It's been awhile since I've done a turkey breast, so I'll probably follow along thisaway. Been pretty satisfied with following this guy in the past. I don't buy his ingredients (although I do own some of his rubs based on a recommendation earlier in the thread) but moreso just follow his methods.

Last edited by rob_s; 11-10-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List