Page 62 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Do you plug those in for power to run the auger and electronics? If so, just standard 110?
    Yes they need power.

The Davy Crockett is portable and is either 12v or 110v.

The Daniel Boone is 110v

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Yes they need power.

The Davy Crockett is portable and is either 12v or 110v.

The Daniel Boone is 110v

https://greenmountaingrills.com/

Bear ribs, way better than I expected. Outer layer was a bit tough, have to cook bear well for safety, but the layer around the bone was melt in your mouth juicy.
    This is half a rack cut horizontally so they are easier to handle.

Name:  IMG_20201010_184303127.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  63.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20201010_192143118.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  101.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    There's lots of good pellet smokers out there. Probably a good time of year to catch a seasonal closeout sale at Lowes or HD.
    I have a Pit Boss that has been good to me so far. Just depends on whether you want lots of fancy attachments, programmable, bluetooth, IoT conectivity, or to be able to reverse sear on the same grill (read upthread for more on that). My smoker is 5 feet from my gas grill, so, I just sear over there. Buy something built well that has the features you want and with available parts in case something breaks. IMO, you can get good results from any good smoker using good technique and pellets with a flavor you like.

I've had some great stuff cooked on a BGE. I only tried to cook on one once. A friend made us pizza on his BGE. It was delicious and cool to be able to do that outside, but, it seemed a little "techniquey" to me managing the air flow to get the temp you want. Compared to the pellet smoker.... Turn dial to on, wait 4-5 minutes for it to light, close lid, wait for temp to settle to desired (digital) setting, cook. I usually do the outside cooking.... I had to be out of town for a few weeks in September and my wife asked me to show her how to run the smoker... 5 minutes later she said "That's it?"
    I graduated to the BGE from a Hasty Bake.

The HB was awesome for tri tip roasts. Put the firebox low with a deflector and smoke it to 120, then remove the deflector, run the box to the top, slide the meat over for the sear. Seamless operation.

But not so great for long brisket cooks. Not very good air/temp control.

After a year or two the salt air took its toll.

The BGE is great for long slow smokes, especially if you get a fan regulator. But does take some set up. But with just a few hot cooks, I've destroyed my gaskets twice now and cracked the firebox into 8 pieces. I don't like tri tips on it, either have to take the meat off and wait for it to heat up for the sear, or, have a second grill ready for the sear.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I may eventually pick one up. I'm also sort of intrigued by the Redbox since the double insulation and small size might make it more feasible for me to do smaller/faster meals in winter.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL View Post
    Bear ribs, way better than I expected. Outer layer was a bit tough, have to cook bear well for safety, but the layer around the bone was melt in your mouth juicy.

Those are way more delicate than I figured bear ribs would be. Black bear?

Looks tasty.

What's the worry about bear meat? Never had an opportunity to eat any.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL View Post

Yum! (Even though I couldn't taste it...relative availability...) I have a honey hole about three hours away where I can go get bear. In fact, I have never seen so much bear sign in one place. Just gotta find the time to get into the woods with a gun and gets me some bruin.

I hate to admit to cheating (but I don't hate cheating...) but bear is a critter that begs to be cooked sous-vide, to kill the intramucular parasites, then frozen, thawed, then smoked/grilled.

Given the intramuscular fat bear ribs should be amazing, and sausage is my go-to for bear. A sous vide will allow a good crust while getting to parasite killing temp. No tough outer layer. And yeah, protoamericans didn't have a sous-vide, but they also didn't have cars and guns and other stuff we love to love. A good fat-to-lean ratio without the added bacon allows a good route to making bear sausage.

A detective-type co-worker swore off bear when he shot one with a bow. It took a while to die and laid there and howled and moaned, and then he skinned it and declared that a skinned bear looks a lot like a skinned human being...he will not hunt or eat bear any more....

I will...👹👺does that make me a bad person? (he asks already knowing the answers, hence the emojis...)

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 10-29-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Those are way more delicate than I figured bear ribs would be. Black bear?

Looks tasty.

What's the worry about bear meat? Never had an opportunity to eat any.
    Yes black bear, my son's first. As with any predator there is a possibility of Trichinosis and other parasites if not cooked thoroughly.

I have been using a Fast Eddy PG500 pellet grill. I only cook for my wife and I and didn’t need a huge one. I think I could fit 2 maybe three Boston Butt in there but really I’d only eat one and I have two other big smokers anyways. It’s smaller than others but does some things they don’t do. The hot air comes from the pellets, then over and under the meat and up the smoke stack. I can crisp chicken skin or bake a pizza in it that directs the heat. Crispy smoked chicken skin or wet you decide. Grills steaks at insane heat with its dedicated grill section that takes up space in the unit. Really need to add foil under that area though for any drippings, but it gets really hot. Still looks new after almost four years of use. Good smoke flavor. I can come home, throw a chicken on it, set to 170 for two hours smoking it, then raise it to 350 and and hour later it’s done.

I make my own rubs for smoking but the best off the shelf rub is Willinghams Wham seasoning. Most rubs are the same thing. Brown sugar, paprika, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, cayenne, and a wild card spice. Willinghams was recommended to me by a friend who competes in BBQ competitions and wins with a WSM. It’s brown sugary, salty, but with this kind of lime citrus, clove flavor. I can duplicate the flavor if I have real lime crystallized lime on hand but it’s just easier to buy this. Highly recommended. Great on pork, not so much chicken. I prefer marinating whole chickens as to get flavor in the meat or inject them.

Some things I’ve experimented with in rubs is using powdered Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, butter, tomato, and powdered white vinegar. Expensive up front, but lasts a long time.

Next Butt I cook I’m going to use homemade Cuban mojo marinade. I’ll never use bottled again.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Yum! (Even though I couldn't taste it...relative availability...) I have a honey hole about three hours away where I can go get bear. In fact, I have never seen so much bear sign in one place. Just gotta find the time to get into the woods with a gun and gets me some bruin.

I hate to admit to cheating (but I don't hate cheating...) but bear is a critter that begs to be cooked sous-vide, to kill the intramucular parasites, then frozen, thawed, then smoked/grilled.

Given the intramuscular fat bear ribs should be amazing, and sausage is my go-to for bear. A sous vide will allow a good crust while getting to parasite killing temp. No tough outer layer. And yeah, protoamericans didn't have a sous-vide, but they also didn't have cars and guns and other stuff we love to love. A good fat-to-lean ratio without the added bacon allows a good route to making bear sausage.

A detective-type co-worker swore off bear when he shot one with a bow. It took a while to die and laid there and howled and moaned, and then he skinned it and declared that a skinned bear looks a lot like a skinned human being...he will not hunt or eat bear any more....

I will...👹👺does that make me a bad person? (he asks already knowing the answers, hence the emojis...)

pat
    Hahaha, yeah I agree that a skinned bear looks kind of human like, although I haven't skinned MANY humans. This was my first time doing the ribs, I also usually do summer sausage, pepperoni and a 20% bacon grind for burgers and loaf. I don't have a Sous vide cooker but think there is one in my near future.

User Tag List