Page 60 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Name:  20201029_111622.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  63.1 KB

Little bit of a rush job timed between heavy rain and going to work but grilling some swordfish and salmon for lunch. Coarse salt, St. Elmo's AP seasoning. Trying the lemon method with the swordfish.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I started a new thread the other day for this question because I didn’t know about this one.

Does anyone have experience with electric grills (not smokers) that they can share? My new place is a townhome style condo, and gas grills are prohibited on or under decks.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

My experience with electric grills has been the same as with gas grills.

Looking at the small Weber BBQ grill we had, I said to the wife "We need a bigger BBQ so I have room to cook everything at once."

"That's a good idea!", she said.

"I'm thinking, for convenience, instead of a charcoal grill-"

"No, you're not."
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Name:  20201029_114707.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  58.1 KB

Turned out really good.

I did touch the swordfish to the hot grill briefly after removing the lemons. I think I should probably cut the lemons a little thicker next time, I wasn't sure and some of the ones directly over the fire burnt up almost entirely, but the fish was fine. The ones closer to the edge were just gummy, as I'd assume they are supposed to be. I just chucked the remnants in the yard so the squirrels don't get scurvy. It didn't take long at all over a 410-ish degree fire. I used that cowboy lump in my chimney starter since it catches so fast and burns so hot, then added coals on top. I think that's the use I have for it now, a "hurry up and grill" fire starter. I then added briquettes over it in the chimney, once hot dumped them and added a layer of briquettes over the top. I had to start my chimney starter in the grill to protect it from rain, so I didn't have a layer underneath. In hindsight I could have removed the grill on the other side and had a bed ready there, but didn't think of it in time.

Touching the swordfish to the grill for many 45 seconds to a minute on both sides got rid of that white pasty stuff that results from the moisture leaving the fish and left some slight grill marks, which is probably nothing but cosmetic appeal, but I liked doing it because reasons.

The cedar plank definitely burnt this time, I may get another use out of it but one more will be it for sure. I only tried a bite of the salmon, but it was good. I'll take a piece on salad for lunch today.

Side note: I'm apparently now one of those assholes who posts pictures of food online or sends them to my friends. My hypocrisy truly knows no bounds.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 10-29-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I started a new thread the other day for this question because I didn’t know about this one.

Does anyone have experience with electric grills (not smokers) that they can share? My new place is a townhome style condo, and gas grills are prohibited on or under decks.
    I had a couple of indoor/table top grills a couple of decades ago. I found the elements did not heat enough, and thus did not heat the grate enough to sear or quickly cook meat reasonably. And I like my meats rare (RARE! in the case of red meats). How many people are you expecting to regularly cook for? A variety of protiens, or just dogs and burgers? Are you a foodie who likes to tweak things, or someone who just wants to put a meal on the table? A sous-vide and cast iron skillet and a stovetop smoker, even with a ceramic, electric, or induction cooktop will, IMHO, out do the electric grills I have experience with. Almost as good as a gas grill, but no where near as good as a charcoal grill.

I have no experience with current electric outdoor grills, but would look hard at some of the indoor grills (Ninja, Gotham, AKA:Chinesee crap...), as the TV ads tell me the tech has improved a bunch. I would even try a current indoor grill before the sous-vide/cast iron skillet/stovetop smoker combo... IF I was cooking for myself, the wife, and the two Things still at home. Hosting a bunch of dinner parties, not so much.

I realize how obliquely I am answering your questions, but this is PF, and I acknowledge that my experience may not help your experience....

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Name:  20201029_114707.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  58.1 KB
    I would reply "YUM", but I can't taste it. You tell me how good you did...(sorry, FTO with my first recruit in over a decade. For the last 10+years, all laterals/retirees...)...

Lotta love, brother. Keep at it.

pat

p.s., I have noticed no one asked me more about Smoked Salmon Cheesecake. Either everyone found the google link for Emeril's Smoke Salmon Cheesecake...or they think I am nuts, or both...or no one wants sexmagicsecretfood....It is an appetizer, not a meal....[Cartman voice]"Screw you guys, I'm going home![/Cartman voice]

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    It is an appetizer, not a meal...
    It's what you eat before you eat to make you more hungrier.

I had fugu ice cream once. Fish and dairy are strange bedfellows.

I would reply "YUM", but I can't taste it. You tell me how good you did...(sorry, FTO with my first recruit in over a decade. For the last 10+years, all laterals/retirees...)...

Lotta love, brother. Keep at it.

pat

p.s., I have noticed no one asked me more about Smoked Salmon Cheesecake. Either everyone found the google link for Emeril's Smoke Salmon Cheesecake...or they think I am nuts, or both...or no one wants sexmagicsecretfood....It is an appetizer, not a meal....[Cartman voice]"Screw you guys, I'm going home![/Cartman voice]

pat
    I personally think it could be improved on with a bit more seasoning and some thicker slabs of lemon. I think I'll cut it about 1/4" next time and see if I get more "juice steam" going. Some butter may help, but that's verboten at the moment due to post-vacation diet recovery period. Tis the price you pay for days of key lime pie. Salmon seems on point, but I only had a bite. I'll try it tonight on a salad. Probably more well done then you'd prefer, but my wife likes it slightly on the overcooked side and I don't have a strong preference, so there we are.

Family reviews were quite positive.

I don't know that I'm onboard with a savory cheesecake. Like cold coffee or warm beer, I know some people like it but it seems an unholy perversion of the natural order of things to me. But who am I to judge...

Site Supporter
    I personally think it could be improved on with a bit more seasoning and some thicker slabs of lemon. I think I'll cut it about 1/4" next time and see if I get more "juice steam" going. Some butter may help, but that's verboten at the moment due to post-vacation diet recovery period.
    You do what you gotta do..but...uh...

Tis the price you pay for days of key lime pie.
    You poor, poor soul...

Salmon seems on point, but I only had a bite. I'll try it tonight on a salad. Probably more well done then you'd prefer, but my wife likes it slightly on the overcooked side and I don't have a strong preference, so there we are.
    Not your worst argument...😝

Family reviews were quite positive.

I don't know that I'm onboard with a savory cheesecake. Like cold coffee or warm beer, I know some people like it but it seems an unholy perversion of the natural order of things to me. But who am I to judge...
    YUP. The fact that the idea is alien may not override the sensory experience... In fact it shouldn't. BUT EVERYONE THINKS THAT "THEIR" perversons are fun, and others, are...just...weird...or gross...or unholy...😜

pat

I had a couple of indoor/table top grills a couple of decades ago. I found the elements did not heat enough, and thus did not heat the grate enough to sear or quickly cook meat reasonably. And I like my meats rare (RARE! in the case of red meats). How many people are you expecting to regularly cook for? A variety of protiens, or just dogs and burgers? Are you a foodie who likes to tweak things, or someone who just wants to put a meal on the table? A sous-vide and cast iron skillet and a stovetop smoker, even with a ceramic, electric, or induction cooktop will, IMHO, out do the electric grills I have experience with. Almost as good as a gas grill, but no where near as good as a charcoal grill.

I have no experience with current electric outdoor grills, but would look hard at some of the indoor grills (Ninja, Gotham, AKA:Chinesee crap...), as the TV ads tell me the tech has improved a bunch. I would even try a current indoor grill before the sous-vide/cast iron skillet/stovetop smoker combo... IF I was cooking for myself, the wife, and the two Things still at home. Hosting a bunch of dinner parties, not so much.

I realize how obliquely I am answering your questions, but this is PF, and I acknowledge that my experience may not help your experience....

pat
    Problem is that I found our range hood doesn’t vent outdoors, and the central station alarm is *very* fucking loud. I don’t think grilling indoors is an option.

Our place is unusual in that each unit has its own privacy fenced (on two sides, plus the house) front courtyard where gas grills are allowed by code. Having something on the deck in back would be a big convenience for everyday cooking, though. I’m pretty basic when it comes to grilling.

I noticed that the Weber Q2400 I was looking at specifies a 20 minute preheat at 72F. I wonder if it would be usable in a NH winter? It would mostly be burgers and encased meats, steaks and chicken. I don’t see doing any smoking in it (I already have an electric smoker) nor anything too big.

I may just buy it from Amazon and try it out, with the plan of returning it as unsuitable if it doesn’t work out.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List