Page 54 of 152 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Did a reverse sear prime ribeye and one that was grassfed for the wife, along with a batch of poppers on the smoker. Steaks were amazing as expected. Poppers were better than I thought they'd be. Did the reverse sear at 180, with the poppers on, and cranked the temp to the max when I pulled the steaks. Took about 5 minutes for the grill temp to reach 550 and the poppers were perfect with just a touch of char on the very ends of the bacon.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Having some friends over for dinner so boiled a few pounds of peanuts as part of an appetizer. Turned out well but will add an additional 1/4 cup of salt next batch.

Name:  20200725_171808.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  59.4 KBName:  Screenshot_20200725-172356_Instagram.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  65.0 KB

Did anyone notice this? Weird.
    https://www.augustachronicle.com/bus...rsquo-branding

Local pellet grill company REC TEC Grills has changed its name to recteq.

One word. No more “Grills.” No capital letters.

At the risk of sounding like a therapist: “How does that make you feel?”

Invigorated? Intrigued? Confused?

I ask about “feelings” because this re-brand is designed to evoke a very specific one – affinity. Specifically, a greater affinity for the growing line of products the company has built around the bull-styled barbecue grills that took the outdoor-cooking industry by storm more than a decade ago.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Having some friends over for dinner so boiled a few pounds of peanuts as part of an appetizer. Turned out well but will add an additional 1/4 cup of salt next batch.
    Not sure if you’re an experienced peanut boiler or not so please don’t take offense if you already know these things...

1) this is high season for boiled peanuts! Generally you can only get the proper green peanuts from ~June to October-ish.
    2) you *can* make boiled peanuts out of “raw” but it’s more work. One trick I like is to pre-soak overnight. Don’t bother salting that water because you’re going to dump it out and the salt can’t penetrate the shell until the peanuts are heated.
    3) my recent method is to go easy on the salt they are cooked in. I keep testing them for doneness and when I like the doneness I take them off the heat. If I’m not happy with the saltiness at that point I add more salt to the water. The peanuts will *mostly* stop cooking but they can still absorb more salt. If you test for doneness and they are *almost* done (and you need to test more than one) but super light in salt you can take them off the heat then and you’ll need to add salt and soak for a little longer.
    4) boiled peanuts freeze great! I like to vacuum seal them and then to re-heat I dunk the sealed pouch in boiling water for a bit. Re-heats without mucking up the dryness. You can microwave them but they can dry out that way.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Not sure if you’re an experienced peanut boiler or not so please don’t take offense if you already know these things...

1) this is high season for boiled peanuts! Generally you can only get the proper green peanuts from ~June to October-ish.
    2) you *can* make boiled peanuts out of “raw” but it’s more work. One trick I like is to pre-soak overnight. Don’t bother salting that water because you’re going to dump it out and the salt can’t penetrate the shell until the peanuts are heated.
    3) my recent method is to go easy on the salt they are cooked in. I keep testing them for doneness and when I like the doneness I take them off the heat. If I’m not happy with the saltiness at that point I add more salt to the water. The peanuts will *mostly* stop cooking but they can still absorb more salt. If you test for doneness and they are *almost* done (and you need to test more than one) but super light in salt you can take them off the heat then and you’ll need to add salt and soak for a little longer.
    4) boiled peanuts freeze great! I like to vacuum seal them and then to re-heat I dunk the sealed pouch in boiling water for a bit. Re-heats without mucking up the dryness. You can microwave them but they can dry out that way.
    There's a place we always stop at on the final stretch of Hwy 64 heading to OBX. Mackeys Ferry. The peanuts are always great and the stop marks the official beginning of "Being at the beach". Never tried to make my own though. A woman I worked with long ago grew up on a peanut farm. She'd bring big batches of boiled peanuts into work when she came back from visiting her parents. mmmm.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Rolling smoke on a brisket, point and flat temps are dead on.

ETA*** oops I forgot to rename the cook on the app from the last one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    ^^ At first glance I thought that was an immense Flatiron Steak.

I still suck at brisket, it's my nemesis.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Recently trying to speed up a smoke i wrapped the meat in foil . First time I ever did that. Well the reward is not only a quicker cook but also jucier meat. Im going to wrap from now on at 150-170 internal temp. Whenever there is enough bark.
    If your brisket problem is dryness I would give that a try.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Recently trying to speed up a smoke i wrapped the meat in foil . First time I ever did that. Well the reward is not only a quicker cook but also jucier meat. Im going to wrap from now on at 150-170 internal temp. Whenever there is enough bark.
    If your brisket problem is dryness I would give that a try.
    Use pink butcher paper instead, you do not loose bark due to steaming it off. The butcher paper retains the juices as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

That would have been one hell of a large animal!

I’m still learning how to smoke brisket, it’s intimidating for sure. None of them so far have sucked but I would never call them the best I’ve had.

User Tag List