Page 50 of 152 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Not that you asked, but I would suggest always taking butts to 200-plus. Me and Kingsford like 205.
    Concur. Although I usually try to cook to about 195 - 198'F, then wrap and rest in a cooler for several hours. That usually gets me to 200+.

And rushing it isn't as good. Every time I rush (higher temp sooner) wife will say some version of.... "This butt has a lot more fat in it than last time".
    Last butt (pics above) was low and slow the whole way. Wife said "This butt is much jucier and less fatty than last time."

My wife is quite smart and quite the great cook. But doesn't do any of the smoking.
    When I explained to her where the fat went = where the juice came from, she said "You'd better get an early start every time then. This one is definitely better."
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Concur. Although I usually try to cook to about 195 - 198'F, then wrap and rest in a cooler for several hours. That usually gets me to 200+.
    I do this a lot too.

I had wrapped so many in just foil that I was starting to go away from this method due to the less crispy bark it produced. Wrapping in butcher paper has really helped the last couple maintain more bark. Looking now at Norville's picture I see what looks like paper so maybe he got to 200+ afterall.

I do this a lot too.

I had wrapped so many in just foil that I was starting to go away from this method due to the less crispy bark it produced. Wrapping in butcher paper has really helped the last couple maintain more bark. Looking now at Norville's picture I see what looks like paper so maybe he got to 200+ afterall.
    Pink butcher paper is simply where it’s at imo. Way better bark retention and doesn’t steam the crap out of the protein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

I do this a lot too.

Foil steams too much, I just started using the paper and it’s definitely better.

I turned off the oven when it hit 190 and let it sit another 90 minutes or so. I saw 197 on the thermometer at one point, not sure if it cracked 200 but probably did.

Pork Loin and beef finger ribs on the pit, just pulled them off and prepping the potatoes, Brussels sprouts, jalapeño poppers and starting the reverse sear of the Teres Major.

Cast iron is where it’s at.

First time cooking up Teres Major, super tender and juicy. Definitely gives a fillet mignon a run for its money.

I need to move closer to JM Campbell...

since we were talking "wrapping" I thought this was interesting. This is a discussion/test of wrapping in the cooker, not the wrapping in the cooler that we talked about before.

tasting starts here
    https://youtu.be/KYC9FDQhbM4

full video here

A little tri-tip action from Sunday.

User Tag List