Page 45 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I've done briskets that were wrapped in aluminum foil, briskets that were wrapped in butcher paper, and brisket that I cooked entirely unwrapped. It should be noted that the unwrapped biscuits were always cooked low and slow though. For the 300-degree plus Cooks, aluminum foil was used.

There is definitely a more Smoky flavor and the briskets that were not wrapped at all. Not talking about how the Smoke Ring looks but how the thing actually tastes.

My results mirror those of Aaron Franklin and he has a YouTube video out there somewhere where he cooks three different briskets and taste tests them all.

Now some people don't really like a true smoke flavor and that's fine. But me, I really loves the smoke.

I do agree that when you wrap in foil it does make the bark more soggy. I've been wanting to try a wrap one and then at the end unwrap it for just a short time to see if I can firm the bark back up.
    I was the opposite, the 300 deg. cook I've tried one time was the one time I didn't wrap at all. I do know for a fact that if you wrap too soon it just ends up like slightly smokey roast beef. For most, the purpose of the wrap is to get through the stall faster. I actually usually wrap to just finish faster and do so near the end of the stall. Hell, many times I miss it and wrap at 170ish.

Wood type, smoker type, and a host of other things lend itself to that smokey flavor. Plus, everyone's palate is different. I should not have been so blunt in my response. For that I apologize. I think even Franklin said he's still learning after all these years, and I should listen to that advice. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I was the opposite, the 300 deg. cook I've tried one time was the one time I didn't wrap at all. I do know for a fact that if you wrap too soon it just ends up like slightly smokey roast beef. For most, the purpose of the wrap is to get through the stall faster. I actually usually wrap to just finish faster and do so near the end of the stall. Hell, many times I miss it and wrap at 170ish.

Wood type, smoker type, and a host of other things lend itself to that smokey flavor. Plus, everyone's palate is different. I should not have been so blunt in my response. For that I apologize. I think even Franklin said he's still learning after all these years, and I should listen to that advice. Cheers.
    No problem.

Every single cook is a learning experience. Keep on learning.

Oh. and I agree with the roast beefy brisket with early foil. Not my cup of tea. I may have to try a hot cook without foil and see how it turns out.

thanks and be sure to have enough fuel for each cook, usually comes in 6 packs of aluminum cans

cc

Gonna do some hot smoked salmon, and maybe some scallops, on the smoker tomorrow if anyone has links or tips/tricks for either.

Plan for the salmon is to brine it in some sort of water/salt/brown sugar mix. Ayre overnight, maybe less, then set it out with a fan blowing over it to get a pellicle then into the fridge until I’m ready to cook then in the smoker at the lowest temp I can get to.

Loose plan for the scallops are to wrap them in semi-cooked bacon then smoke, again at lowest temp possible, to <140. Loosely following this guy
    https://www.smoking-meat.com/5-29-20...d-sea-scallops

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I’ve done this with ribs ( it the same thing, I know) by just putting them on the fire box or even a gas grill.

But after wrapping this last batch in butcher paper I think I’ll do that from now on. Zero loss of bark.

I wonder if there’s a 3-2-1 method for brisket...
    How does the butcher paper affect the smoke flavor? My daughters stomach cant tolerate smoked meat so I usually cook hers in the oven.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    How does the butcher paper affect the smoke flavor? My daughters stomach cant tolerate smoked meat so I usually cook hers in the oven.
    Didn’t affect it at all I could tell.

Just to be clear, in this case I did all the cooking unwrapped but at the end took the ribs off the smoker and wrapped them in butcher paper and put them in a cooler until it was time to eat.

Didn’t affect it at all I could tell.

Just to be clear, in this case I did all the cooking unwrapped but at the end took the ribs off the smoker and wrapped them in butcher paper and put them in a cooler until it was time to eat.
    Ahh ok. Thats great info though. First Ive hear of that. Will be very helpful for transporting food after a smoke.did you use the non waxed?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Ahh ok. Thats great info though. First Ive hear of that. Will be very helpful for transporting food after a smoke.did you use the non waxed?
    Technically, this is what I used.
    Easy Mask 35-inch x 140-feet Brown Builders Paper

Gonna do some hot smoked salmon, and maybe some scallops, on the smoker tomorrow if anyone has links or tips/tricks for either.

Plan for the salmon is to brine it in some sort of water/salt/brown sugar mix. Ayre overnight, maybe less, then set it out with a fan blowing over it to get a pellicle then into the fridge until I’m ready to cook then in the smoker at the lowest temp I can get to.

Loose plan for the scallops are to wrap them in semi-cooked bacon then smoke, again at lowest temp possible, to <140. Loosely following this guy
    https://www.smoking-meat.com/5-29-20...d-sea-scallops
    Wound up not doing the scallops, but did just pull the salmon off. Cooked the thin bits too and ate them about 30 min ago. Got a raised up Jesus hand from the little one and a standing ovation from the older one, so I guess the kids like it.

I probably won’t bother doing this again unless I have at least a 2 lbs piece. Also, lesson learned, cut first then brine, it brine and then cut.

Pretty much did this
    https://www.smoking-meat.com/july-2010-smoking-salmon

Name:  51C5BFCE-BE3C-4845-88A6-2F8E4816C6D3.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  35.3 KB

Name:  9ECEB97D-7285-478F-812A-7D2A6C530E5A.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  93.1 KB

Name:  9FC1D56C-C441-4FB1-8B86-6CD4AA96ED56.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  98.3 KB

Tonight turned out to be pretty good, I might be getting into this whole stay at home thing. Grilling on a Tuesday doesn't suck.
    Name:  IMG_20200414_174646458.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  74.1 KB

Yes I know I have a dandelion problem.

Here’s my second brisket I have smoked. Used a stick burner for the 9 hour cook and no wrap. Can’t wait to try this again.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

User Tag List