Page 4 of 152 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

What is this "Grilling / Smoking Season" of which you speak?

I do a lot of grilling at least 1-2 days a week, sometimes more, and I do BBQ, but I am by no means a BBQ expert. I do however put up a lot of wild pig and like to do both hot and cold smoking techniques. "Smoke meat" (pork) is a staple of a traditional Luau and wild pig is much more desirable. In this preparation of "smoke meat" it is a marinated in a soy sauce based mix with Hawaiian chili for heat and then the pork is cold smoked. The cold smoked meat can be refrigerated or frozen and is then high heat fried and crisped, with added onions and often times a guava jelly for a sweet heat flavor.

Most of the pig that I take ends up like this, but I do like to dabble in other BBQ but definitely not like other hobbyists. Some of you guys have some tasty looking eats!

Planning on trying this out tomorrow.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/t...-sausages.html

It's not far off what I typically do now (boil in beer on stove, transfer to grill for final cook) but I like the idea of adding the mustard and sauerkraut, and the idea of not having a pot to clean afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    Interested in anyone's experience with electric pellet smokers. Unfortunately charcoal is not an option for me.
    I've had a small Green Mountain pellet smoker for about eight months or so. I use it probably 3 out of every 4 weekends. Very happy with it, there are some size limitations on mine but I'm only cooking for 2 adults and 2 kids. Very easy to maintain temperature control, and the flavor is great. I've done chicken, pork butts, ribs and belly, beef ribs, rib roast, tri tip.... also used it for the first stage of reverse searing steaks (smoke to around 100 internal, quick sear on the grill to finish to medium rare). Chicken is my regular go to.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

It's not far off what I typically do now (boil in beer on stove, transfer to grill for final cook) but I like the idea of adding the mustard and sauerkraut, and the idea of not having a pot to clean afterwards.
    Thanks for starting this thread, very timely. I've been thinking about about getting into bbq with a pit barrel cooker.

The seriouseats site is also great. Learned a ton from there over the years, and now do a lot of reverse sear grilling and roasting, and sous-viding.

For grilling I use a Solaire: http://solairegasgrills.com/
    They are not cheap, but they get as hot as a charcoal grill with the convenience of propane. The char comes from meat exposed to the burners, not the part touching the grate. The grates are a "V" channel, that catches the drippings and vaporizes them.

The stainless construction really holds up to the elements.

An added benefit compared to a 'normal' gas grill they are very fuel efficient. If I had to guess I'd say I can get 1.5x or 2x the # of meals out of a propane tank vs a regular gas grill because of the quick heat up time.

If I didn't have the solaire I'd probably go back to a weber kettle, where I started my grilling journey.
    Last edited by Soggy; 05-07-2017 at 10:37 AM. Reason: grammar/spelling

These turned out amazing!

Name:  IMG_3607.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3610.jpg
Size:  72.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3611.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  47.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    Interested in anyone's experience with electric pellet smokers. Unfortunately charcoal is not an option for me.
    Not a pellet, but I started out smoking on something very similar to this
    http://m.homedepot.com/p/Southern-Co...-511/301767754

I got a lot of grief from the purists, but nobody ever didn't come back for seconds.

Site Supporter
    These turned out amazing!

Name:  IMG_3607.jpg
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3610.jpg
Size:  72.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3611.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  47.1 KB
    I'm gonna have to do some brats next weekend

Joule now, but that's a different topic.

Unexpected. I'd have assumed you to be militantly against them.

Grill grates and similar products kick ass. So much so that it made me question why I was cooking outside on a grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Now I have to budget for a couple sets of GrillGrates... Thanks a lot Rob!

I love to grill, haven't had the patience or equipment to do much smoking in years. I will attest to liking the horrid briquettes for temp control in my past smoking experiences. Now that I only grill, it's all lump for me and I like it that way.

One of my favorites is to do skirt or flank steaks right on the coals. Get them cooked down about halfway and blast off all the ash with your air compressor or a blow drier and fan em super hot then drop the meat right on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tomorrow's victims. One 5.5 lbs, one 7.5 lbs. I'd prefer they were both 6.5 but w can make this work.

Name:  IMG_3679.jpg
Size:  61.8 KB

User Tag List