Page 39 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Then do it with a thick New York..
    I might just try that. One huge benefit to my current smoker is that I can open up the fire box and grill right on the coals in there.

Suggested smoking temp?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I might just try that. One huge benefit to my current smoker is that I can open up the fire box and grill right on the coals in there.

Suggested smoking temp?
    Depends on how much smoke you like and how well done you like your steak.

I try to smoke on low for as long as possible, then sear.
    In cold weather my smoker will run around 150F on low, which would let me smoke a cold steak for about 90 minutes.
    Crank the grill up high and sear each side for 2 minutes and hopefully wind up with a deep pink finish after a 5 minute rest (lightly covered).

Obviously a thicker cut steak is best if you prefer rarer.
    In the heat of summer my smoker will hold around 180 or so, so maybe an hour or so of smoking. Check the meat temp with an instant read thermometer. Keep it under 95F on the smoker. 130F is good for me post-sear. 135 after resting.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Holy Hell this one is taking a while. Temps dropped into the teens last night, so at hour 12 and only 172deg I decided to wrap it in butcher paper. I could have cranked the heat I suppose, but we're getting a decent temp climb right now with the paper.
    The beauty of the pbc is that it can cook a roughly 14lb brisket in 7 to 10 hours, even without wrapping to get over the stall. I can get one going before work and its ready by dinner.

It can't touch the convenience of a pellet cooker though. I'm eyeing that weber; having lost a pellet smoker to a burn back i like the design of the auger and burn pot.

Big ol’ T-bone and petite sirloins an out to hit the grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by omega9 View Post
    I’m a fan of sucklebuster’s hoochie mama for pork.

https://www.sucklebusters.com/bbq-ru...-mama-bbq-rub/
    from the description it sounds like this focuses on being sweet. Would you say that's the case? I'm not really a fan of sweet bbq.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    from the description it sounds like this focuses on being sweet. Would you say that's the case? I'm not really a fan of sweet bbq.
    Ya it’s a bit sweet with just a little heat that I don’t really notice but some friends have. If your not a fan of sweet then I would probably pass.

Planning on doing another sous vide/smoked brisket on NYE, assuming we can find a suitable cut between now and tomorrow. Anyone else that's done one have any last-minute tips based on your experience? The only thing I can remember is that I want to season it on the lighter side rather than the heavier (first one was a little too spicy for 99% of people eating it).

My plan is to get the sous vide part out of the way by putting it in sometime tomorrow (Sunday the 29th) and taking it out Monday the 30th after work. Then on Tuesday the 31 I shouldn't have to throw it on the smoker until about 2 in order to eat at 5-ish. And if I wind up having to work on the morning of the 31st I'll be find to get home about 12:30, start up the smoker, and be more than ready to go by 2.

what I'm way more excited about is the Sean Brock shrimp and grits we're planning to do as an appetizer...! (but that's not really smoked/BBQ'd/grilled...)

Since your SV the brisket trim most of the exterior fat off. It’s not really needed to protect the brisket from the smoker heat for 10-16 hours. I’d lightly season before SV and then a moderate seasoning of salt/pepper to help creat the bark during the 2-3 hr smoke stage.

My last SV brisket point/half flat still connected.

I need a bigger bath to SV a brisket. What temp do you guys go to?

I do a 48 hr. homemade corned beef in SV that works out excellent that I do at 150F.

User Tag List