Page 33 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    How hot did you run the smoking step?
    @225-235f for about 3ish hours until internal temp was @ 155f. Trick is bring the internal temp up to no more then what your Sous Vide water temp was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    That's a Brisket point hiding under the bacon....
    I approve of things hiding under bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    For the pellet guys, a couple of question...

(1) fuel.
    Do I understand these things correctly is that they only require electricity and pellets? In other words you plug it in, add pellets, and the electricity ignites the pellets and the pellets provide the smoke and heat?

(2) utility.
    Rec Tec in particular advertises that you don't need any other grill or smoker. Is that accurate in your opinion? Can I ditch the smoker and the propane Weber and be done? I often use the propane Weber just to start up quickly, grill up some burgers or chicken, or to brown some sausages that have been par-boiled, and I don't want to lose that. Can I just toss a couple of burgers on and quickly "grill" as easily as a propane grill?

(3) built-in
    Anyone see any of these get built in to like a summer kitchen setup? Given the simple carts they all seem to be on it seems like it wouldn't be a big deal, but I don't see a lot of results googling "pellet grill summer kitchen".
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Sellers View Post
    All it requires is an outlet and pellet fuel. It’s very simple ( I work as a FF and efficiency is a premium)

2. As I was told anything you can do in an oven can be done on the smoker. Wife has made cookies on it as well. I’ve done burgers, dogs, brisket, spatchcock chicken etc all with great results

3. They make a WiFi model and you can control it from your smartphone from anywhere theoretically. Preheat it before you’re ready to cook and you’re ready to go. It was 95 degrees here and I cooked about 40 burgers, 30 dogs and did 4 chickens for a party here.

Typing from a phone and tried to get all the questions.

[I MG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180701/1f00d5aff906800e07ba6375462e541d.jpg[/IMG]

This is the Daniel Boone from GMG it’s the medium sized non-WiFi model and they’re on sale now until July 8.

feel free to shoot me a message for any more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you ever snag anything? I'm starting to look into a pellet smoker and the DB pops up a lot, as does Traeger and the Camp Chef SmokePro DLX. The wifi DB seems hard to beat.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    I wouldn't count on the pellet smoker for searing.
    Mine has a sliding cover above the firebox, but the area is fairly small. Maybe enough for 1 or 2 steaks.
    Different smokers may do it better. Mine might just be a question of expectations or technique.
    When I smoked 7 ribeyes a few weeks ago, I finished them on the gas grill. Trying to sear them 1 or 2 at a time would have meant we'd not be able to eat hot food all together.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    I wanted to have different results, but my brisket turned out, on balance, negative.

The taste was fine, bark well-developed, and it looked like brisket should look.

But, with a high-quality piece of meat, the texture wasn't quite right and it was drier than the grade of brisket should have been.

I have two suspects for the problem:

1. Because there's a lot of salt in the rub, the meat spends a while in a "salt water bath" as it looses moisture, instead of the moisture evaporating into the smoker. Maybe leave out the salt completely until the smoke?

2. Because there's a lower target internal temperature (155 for 24 hours instead of spending a lot of time going to 200) this approach might not be making gelatin out of the connective tissue properly. This might be addressable by holding a 160+ temperature instead, or holding a higher internal temp in the smoker for longer. But I worry that'd make it a lot less easy to do.

While hands-off cooking was great, I don't think I'll be attempting it again using the food-lab method. It sounds like "not as good as the grade of brisket should be" is a common complaint in the comments, too, so I'm wondering if the approach can be debugged.
    I'm a big fan of the 176F 12-18 hour sous vide brisket or corned beef. The bag inflates, so you need to have it held under water. Please do not leave out the salt. I had a three day cook that went off on me, that MIGHT have been saved by a judicious amount of salt and it's antiseptic properties. That's not even getting into how much better meat is with a rub.

Sous Vide pork carnitas are the bomb. Serious eats has a good method, just leave out the cinnamon, and add a few halved fresh jalapeno peppers. I'll turn a couple of butts into four gallon bags, sous vide them all overnight together, and then use one to feed my family tacos, and freeze the other three for later.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I wouldn't count on the pellet smoker for searing.
    Mine has a sliding cover above the firebox, but the area is fairly small. Maybe enough for 1 or 2 steaks.
    Different smokers may do it better. Mine might just be a question of expectations or technique.
    When I smoked 7 ribeyes a few weeks ago, I finished them on the gas grill. Trying to sear them 1 or 2 at a time would have meant we'd not be able to eat hot food all together.
    Everything I seeing matches this, nd has kept me out of the pellet as a possible Do-all, which in turn keeps me having the Weber and the separate smoker.

I'm going for smoke only. Gonna grab a wok burner at some point and sear with a pan.

A friend of mine is considering adding one of these things to his Weber
    https://www.smokemiester.com/products.html

Wound up with a Rec Tec Stampede. Initial cook went well, did some chicken for work and had a piece. Way better than my Masterbuild electric with a pellet maze. Finished with some chicken sausage that got a little smoke and then raised the temp to 500° F (hit 555° F) and got a nice skin on the chicken and sausages. Working on some wings now.

Got a 2# flank steak to marinate and smoke up for some fajitas this week.

Had time yesterday afternoon to cook some ribs on the grill. Took just under three hours and the meat was falling off the bone. After the first two hours i basted them in BBQ sauce, wrapped them in foil for 20 minutes and put them back in the rack.After that it was quick 10 minutes unwrapped to thicken the sauce into a glaze, fifteen minutes to rest before pigging out. Attachment 37956Attachment 37957Attachment 37958and maybe a few beers to keep myself hydrated Attachment 37959

User Tag List