Page 31 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I saw a few mentions of a sous vide. Does anyone have some good resources regarding use? My sous vide skills are pretty weak right now.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    You can find tons of information on YouTube. If you have Joule, their app is very helpful. I'm sure something similar exists for the Anova. Or try googling "sous vide time and temp guides". You'll find lots of stuff.

I saw a few mentions of a sous vide. Does anyone have some good resources regarding use? My sous vide skills are pretty weak right now.

Couple of random thoughts...

I have a Joule. I would buy an Anova today. The Joule *requires* the app to operate, the Anova allows you to operate it app-free if you like. Anova also have a less expensive model. I'd buy the pricier one because I'm an idiot, but also because I like that it has wifi while the cheaper one is bluetooth only. Yes, I realize I just got done saying I want to use it without the app. I said I'm an idiot.
    You can read more here
    https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-sous-vide-gear/

IMO, these guys are the sous vide experts
    https://www.seriouseats.com/

Also, while you *can* sous vide in some pot you already have, I find issues and limitations, and therefore would suggest getting the following as well (I'm about to order all of this, but we have a kitchen reno pending and I don't want to have to buy it just to pack it up in a month).

Rubbermaid Commercial Carb-X Space Saving Square Food Storage Container, 12-Quart, Clear (FG631200CLR)
    I may wind up with a larger size as well

EVERIE Collapsible Hinged Sous Vide Container Lid Compatible with Anova Culinary Precision Cooker and 12,18,22 Quart Rubbermaid Container (Corner Mount)

SO-VIDA Sous Vide Container Sleeve For The Rubbermaid 12 Quart (18 & 22 Qt Available) - Protects Your Work Surfaces and Saves You Electricity From Increased Insulation

EVERIE Weight-Added Sous Vide Rack Divider for Sous Vide Even Heating, 5 Count Plastic Dividers and 2 Stainless Steel Sous Vide Weights, Gray

Then there's the all-in-one option (but I'm not sure if they make a version for my Joule)
    EVERIE Sous Vide Bundle Kit with Sous Vide Container 12 Quart, Collapsible Hinge Lid, Sous Vide Container Sleeve for Anova

ETA:
    Yes they do!
    EVERIE Sous Vide Bundle Kit with Sous Vide Container 12 Quart, Collapsible Hinge Lid, Sous Vide Container Sleeve for Chefsteps Joule Sous Vide Cooker
    Attachment 34501
    Last edited by rob_s; 01-23-2019 at 07:43 AM.

Site Supporter
    The pellet smoker has gone 7-for-7 so far, with only butts and brisket needed to round out the menu. Pork ribs (everyone) and catfish (mostly me ) have brought the biggest raves so far.

I seasoned an 8-pound Pork Butt this morning to smoke on Friday, so, we'll cross that one off the list this weekend.

Wife requested smoked chicken. I'm not much of a chicken eater, but I'm a huge "Happy-wife, Happy-life" fan, so, I'll pick up a chicken on the way home tonight.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

For immersion cooking, a vacuum sealer might be the next suggested purchase after the actual circulator. If you own a giant lobster pot (maybe not a staple if you're not in New England) you can skip the other stuff for a while.

Ziplock bags will get you pretty far but the first time you have a leak you'll be pretty pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    For immersion cooking, a vacuum sealer might be the next suggested purchase after the actual circulator. If you own a giant lobster pot (maybe not a staple if you're not in New England) you can skip the other stuff for a while.

Ziplock bags will get you pretty far but the first time you have a leak you'll be pretty pissed.
    I need to remember to season my steaks before i vacuum seal them, i always forget. I have most of the itemesnthat rob listed above but i do want to get that insulated wrap and his website suggestion was bery helpful.

That’s a good point re: sealer. I recently got one and it totally slipped my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    That’s a good point re: sealer. I recently got one and it totally slipped my mind.
    I'm running my first attempt at suis vide brisket now. Getting the sealer running again was the last thing preventing me from trying it.
    Last edited by TheRoland; 01-24-2019 at 02:54 PM.

I went and bumped the Sous Vide thread back up for discussion on that topic beyond just merging with smoking.

I'm running my first attempt at suis vide brisket now. Getting the sealer running again was the last thing preventing me from trying it.
    I wanted to have different results, but my brisket turned out, on balance, negative.

The taste was fine, bark well-developed, and it looked like brisket should look.

But, with a high-quality piece of meat, the texture wasn't quite right and it was drier than the grade of brisket should have been.

I have two suspects for the problem:

1. Because there's a lot of salt in the rub, the meat spends a while in a "salt water bath" as it looses moisture, instead of the moisture evaporating into the smoker. Maybe leave out the salt completely until the smoke?

2. Because there's a lower target internal temperature (155 for 24 hours instead of spending a lot of time going to 200) this approach might not be making gelatin out of the connective tissue properly. This might be addressable by holding a 160+ temperature instead, or holding a higher internal temp in the smoker for longer. But I worry that'd make it a lot less easy to do.

While hands-off cooking was great, I don't think I'll be attempting it again using the food-lab method. It sounds like "not as good as the grade of brisket should be" is a common complaint in the comments, too, so I'm wondering if the approach can be debugged.

I wanted to have different results, but my brisket turned out, on balance, negative.

The taste was fine, bark well-developed, and it looked like brisket should look.

But, with a high-quality piece of meat, the texture wasn't quite right and it was drier than the grade of brisket should have been.

I have two suspects for the problem:

1. Because there's a lot of salt in the rub, the meat spends a while in a "salt water bath" as it looses moisture, instead of the moisture evaporating into the smoker. Maybe leave out the salt completely until the smoke?

2. Because there's a lower target internal temperature (155 for 24 hours instead of spending a lot of time going to 200) this approach might not be making gelatin out of the connective tissue properly. This might be addressable by holding a 160+ temperature instead, or holding a higher internal temp in the smoker for longer. But I worry that'd make it a lot less easy to do.

While hands-off cooking was great, I don't think I'll be attempting it again using the food-lab method. It sounds like "not as good as the grade of brisket should be" is a common complaint in the comments, too, so I'm wondering if the approach can be debugged.
    that's a shame.

I may very well not be schooled enough in brisket to be able to tell the difference, as the only time I have "real" brisket is when I'm in Austin once a year. I will say, however, that I had Austin brisket in-between my two attempts and didn't note any difference between theirs and mine.

This may well be a case of "you don't know what you don't know" being a positive in my case!

User Tag List