Page 141 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1520

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

I honestly probably went too long this time too. We will see.

what's your water:salt ratio? I'm doing 1/2 cup of salt per quart of water. then 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup lemon juice, and 1-2 T rub of choice.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Wife said “hey while the smoker is going why don't you cook something for supper?” “Sure,” I said. “Get some thick NY strip while you are out”.

What she brought home is maybe 3/4 in at the thickest point. Not really great for much of anything, let alone smoking.

Any ideas what to do with these four sad fuckers?

Name:  IMG_1504.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  64.0 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Wife said “hey while the smoker is going why don't you cook something for supper?” “Sure,” I said. “Get some thick NY strip while you are out”.

What she brought home is maybe 3/4 in at the thickest point. Not really great for much of anything, let alone smoking.

Shit,

Short of grilled, don't think they'd take to smoking so well, before drying out.

Perhaps rolling with some sun dried tomatoes, roasted peppers and tying them with string, then smoking???? 🤔🤔🤔
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter

Fajitas!

Marinade.... Sear.... Slice...

I like the McCormick's Brazillian for this, but, whatever you enjoy for fajitas should be good to go..

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I've had good luck smoking steaks. My wife loves top sirloin. I'll toss it on there for 30 minutes at 225, then sear it on cast iron.

I just smoked dry aged NY strips and they were fantastic

I enjoy that Brazilian seasoning myself.
    Grilling two thin steaks this evening.
    Weber kettle grill.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I've had good luck smoking steaks. My wife loves top sirloin. I'll toss it on there for 30 minutes at 225, then sear it on cast iron.

I just smoked dry aged NY strips and they were fantastic
    It's tough to smoke then sear thin steaks without overcooking... I rest tri-tip overnight after smoking.

I seem to always overcook otherwise.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    It's tough to smoke then sear thin steaks without overcooking... I rest tri-tip overnight after smoking.

I seem to always overcook otherwise.
    I try to pull them off at ~90F before searing. It's also good to start with cold meat(don't let it come up to room temp first) and smoke at a lower temp with the highest smoke setting. 225 works for thick cuts, but going down to 180 is helpful for smaller pieces.

A HOT skillet with butter doesn't take much time to sear. ~30-45 seconds per side.

I honestly probably went too long this time too. We will see.

what's your water:salt ratio? I'm doing 1/2 cup of salt per quart of water. then 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup lemon juice, and 1-2 T rub of choice.
    I use a dry cure. 1 cup of salt, 1 cup of brown sugar, 3/4 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp ground allspice, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp chopped bay leaf, 2 cloves of garlic. Then rubbed into fish. Washed off after a few hours.

I did an experiment with wood this time. I usually use alder which is traditional in these parts. I tried using maple for one batch and alder for another to compare. The maple has a smokier flavor and it's sweeter. My wife likes it better and so do I. I've read that maple is used more in Canada for smoking fish. 8 pounds went into the freezer today.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I'd put that in a crockpot and make carnitas out of it. Makes great tacos. I usually use pork tenderloin but that should work. Needs to cook for 8 hours or so and it should melt in your mouth. Add a chopped fresh Jalapeno, chopped onion and garlic and the juice from 2-3 squeezed oranges. I'm making myself hungry because I haven't had dinner yet.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List