Page 134 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 1519

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Tri tip here is almost non existent, unless you ask the butcher. It is possibly one of my favorites when prepared correctly.
    I've found a recipe in my Treager cookbook, that renders it so tender, it's crazy!
    I guess I should clarify…

I’ve cooked both of these cuts before in their more traditional methods.

This was a “brisket style” experiment with both, and my comment was directed solely at that cooking method, earning I’ll do a brisket style picanha again, but not another tri tip. Tri tip I’ll stick to the traditional method(s).
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    BBQ and Flat top griddle was sold in the move, what should I be looking at for under a grand?

I got small kids so I need a turn the knob and cook, so propane. I hit the wood back up when I retire.

I am jonesing for some outdoor cooking.
    Plenty of good grills for way less than a grand.
    I've been pretty happy with the steel flat top Wife got me that runs on top of the propane grill.
    Made scallops on it last night, shredded Mexican pork and onions the night before.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

One good way to keep the price of a grill down is to avoid grills that come with side burners, etc. They add cost but also at the lower price range they also add frustration as they are more prone to failure.

Based on my vicarious observations of various friends and acquaintances over the years, I personally wouldn’t bother with any brand other than Weber or napoleon.

That said, I trust these guys enough to apply the requisite filters for fuel and price and platinum rates and pick from that list.

https://amazingribs.com/grill-and-smoker-search/
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Tri tip here is almost non existent, unless you ask the butcher. It is possibly one of my favorites when prepared correctly.
    I've found a recipe in my Treager cookbook, that renders it so tender, it's crazy!
    That was one of my frustrations from Costco’s absence from southern NH - they usually have nice tri-tip. It’s the cut of my roots, I was born in the Santa Maria Valley. Tri-tip and pinquitos, yum.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Finally got to see a new Weber and the Napoleon Premier side-by-side. IDK where Weber is headed, but my patio is one place they are NOT headed. Oddball design choices, felt kinda cheap, etc.

Then I come home to a discount code from RecTeq and next thing you know a 590 and a bunch of pellets are on their way with a $200 total discount.

Name:  2023-02-27 11_00_09-Mail - Robert Sloyer - Outlook.png
Views: 212
Size:  24.7 KB

Supporting Business Dark Star Gear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Finally got to see a new Weber and the Napoleon Premier side-by-side. IDK where Weber is headed, but my patio is one place they are NOT headed. Oddball design choices, felt kinda cheap, etc.

Then I come home to a discount code from RecTeq and next thing you know a 590 and a bunch of pellets are on their way with a $200 total discount.

[ATTAC H=CONFIG]101911[/ATTACH]

That's a hefty discount. They're not usually one to do that, good score. I think you'll be happy with it. Mine is still one of my most used appliances.
    Dark Star Gear
    Best method to contact us is email: info@darkstargear.com

Site Supporter
    Bear with me, playing with an idea. Mrs. UNM1136 wants to try this....drizzling the biscuits with hot honey...

For the last month I could not find bulk chicken sausage. So I did what any sane, skilled person would do...not sub turkey or pork sausage, but make my own chicken sausage. Chicken thighs...mmmm....

I have also done some research on Doner Kababs, and realize that shish kabab is what we Americans imagine kebabs to be, but it seems that around the world kebabs are commonly made with ground meat. So, as an MTV kid I decided too much is never enough and bought 4 pounds of chicken thighs....for a first run of a test recipe. I decided that there would be enough chicken sausage to play with, in addition to making the chicken biscuit pot pie...

Take rather lean chicken thigh sausage. Shape into a largish sausage link, on a skewer...and smoke for an hour or two to 165°F...remove and cool. Then sear on hot cast iron or outdoors on a grill with a little oil to char and crisp the outside...

The wife and I think I am onto something...a kebab on a tortilla with chile and cheese? <moan> a kebab on a pita with tzaziki, and salad fixings? YUM. A smoked chicken thigh meatcicle? OK, if I have to. 😛🤣🤪😜 Currently waiting to pressure wash my smoker, but in the next month, gonna have to give this a try..,

Also, thinking this through as I type...I think I need a few minutes alone...

pat

ETA: you could smoke and vacuum seal and freeze the things...getting giddy, might need another few minutes alone....
    Last edited by UNM1136; 03-05-2023 at 04:49 PM.

Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Broke down and bought a pellet grill. RecTeq RT-590.

So far done biscuits, chicken thighs, one Boston butt, and some salmon.

Not sure about all this just yet. Need to cook a few more things. However, family said it was the best butt ever. And I can’t deny the convenience.

One of my buddies called it a “smoke oven” which seems appropriate so far.

I've often said the same of my Traeger.
    Smoke oven is about correct.

It does a good job tho, especially ribs and roasts.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Very nice Butt there man! ()
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List