Page 119 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1512

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Next time try doing indirect heat first till you hit 10 degrees below your target internal temp then sear
    I usually find it harder to hit the right level of 'done' with a reverse sear. So I like to have several cooks with a steak doing the traditional sear under my belt before trying a reverse sear. I've done enough ribeyes and filets from Costco and Randall's I'm comfortable doing them with a reverse sear.

Knowing the tomahawk wasn't enough for 3 I also cooked a dry aged ribeye as well and nailed medium rare and we all preferred that. Less $ and aggravation, think I'll stick to the dry aged ribeyes. I think only the dog will be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by JclInAtx View Post
    I usually find it harder to hit the right level of 'done' with a reverse sear. So I like to have several cooks with a steak doing the traditional sear under my belt before trying a reverse sear. I've done enough ribeyes and filets from Costco and Randall's I'm comfortable doing them with a reverse sear.

Knowing the tomahawk wasn't enough for 3 I also cooked a dry aged ribeye as well and nailed medium rare and we all preferred that. Less $ and aggravation, think I'll stick to the dry aged ribeyes. I think only the dog will be disappointed.
    Yeah, it's hard to beat dry aged beef. The rule of thumb I use for a reverse searing tomahawks is to use a lower temp than you'd use with a smaller cut. If I'm using the oven, I go as low as it allows (170). Pop a probe in and wait it out. I find the crust is a little thicker and more even than the typical cuts due to the extra dry exterior (longer cook time) and increased weight on the hot cast iron.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Well, wife did one of the two tomahawks sous vide then finished on the grill (which is what qualifies it for this thread, haha). First issue, she had it in the bath at 140 (I think) for 4 hours and it came out with a center temp of 120. I suspect it wasn’t fully thawed when it went in. Second issue, for a family that prefers filet, there is a lot of this thing that is inedible. Third issue, because there’s really just one little medallion in the middle, there wasn’t really enough meat for two, let alone four, people.

I bought two originally expecting to make us each one on a night when the kids weren’t here, because I suspected there was a high ratio of inedible:edible. Now we have just one, so I guess I’ll maybe smoke/sear that one when nobody else is home.

Before “carving”
    Attachment 84403

All the inedible bits. What’s really frustrating is seeing some bits of actual meat in there but not willing to take the time to carve them out.
    Attachment 84404

Here’s the pic from the wild ford site. Blue arrow points to the only edible bit.
    Attachment 84405
    Did some homework. Like buying a standing rib roast, the end of the animal the the cut comes from matters.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rib_eye_steak

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_rib_roast

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longissimus

Notice as the you move back from rib 6 to rib 12 the longissimus dorsi gets thicker, this is the eye of the ribeye.

In his Standing Rib Roast recipe Alton Brown specifies "preferably the loin end", although when I asked my local supermarket meat cutter for a loin end rib roast he looked at me like I had grown a second head. If you want to give it another try, pick the one with the biggest eye and least visible connective tissue.

pat

Site Supporter
    You guys will demand I get banned from the forum after this post....

But since the mods are shit, I'll take my chances.

https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vid...ecipe-food-lab

I am going fishing next week, and I just pulled a couple of racks of pork ribs from the freezer. They are pre-rubbed with my Asian Five Spice and Soy rub. Going to separate them, add pink salt and liquid smoke, re seal and sous vide. Toss in the cooler, and go.

The outdoor part comes in when I warm them over charcoal at the campsite.

Fingers crossed.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-10-2022 at 08:02 AM.

Cooked the other tomahawk last night. Was raining and hot so I didn’t want to deal with the smoker for just one steak. Sprayed it with avocado oil and then added holy cow rub. Cooked it to 120° at 275 on the propane Weber, then took it off and seared it about 60 seconds on a side with a 90° rotation halfway though.

Came out good, but so much “waste” in these things. Plus, a trend I seem to be on, cut it the wrong way to boot.

Pretty sure I’m done with tomahawks. Don’t get the point at all.

15 minutes in

Name:  F84BBE1F-4804-48FC-907A-B4530EFC56E1.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  69.5 KB

The stuff on the left is inedible. Stuff on the right is what we ate.

Name:  F241760E-FF5D-4D1C-A8F3-83C6FEFDC93E.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  91.1 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Trying to recover my own hijack…

Pizza seems to be all the rage in outdoor cooking now. Pellet guys are cooking them, home pizza ovens costing more than my first car, add-ons and doodads… I’m gonna have to try it again. Wife didn’t really care for them, and honest.y I find the dough to be maddening to deal with.
    Wife got me an Ooni 12 gas pizza oven for Father’s Day. Or something I’d ever buy myself but fun to have. Promptly spent another $100+ on peels and whatnot. She asked if I wanted her to return it for the pellet version and after watching a few videos I think propane is the right one for us.
    https://www.bbqguys.com/ooni/koda-po...oor-pizza-oven

We’ve run it twice. First time was on Father’s Day where we may Ooni’s pizza dough recipe. Easy to stretch, came out great.

Second time was dough we got from the grocery store. The baker sells bags of dough that you’re meant to come home and let rose, etc. Hard to stretch, and burned pretty easily.

Planning on running it again this Saturday for older daughter’s birthday sleepover. 6-7 individual pies. Should be interesting… deal is, only the Ooni dough.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Charcoal-Hickory!!! I'm so excited!! My Butt's gonna taste GREAT this weekend!!

Found these at Wally World today.

Name:  C-Hick.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  67.9 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Charcoal-Hickory!!! I'm so excited!! My Butt's gonna taste GREAT this weekend!!

Found these at Wally World today.

Name:  C-Hick.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  67.9 KB
    Those are actually pretty good in my Treager.
    Nice smoke ring on the meats and not too heavy.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Wife got me an Ooni 12 gas pizza oven for Father’s Day. Or something I’d ever buy myself but fun to have. Promptly spent another $100+ on peels and whatnot. She asked if I wanted her to return it for the pellet version and after watching a few videos I think propane is the right one for us.

We’ve run it twice. First time was on Father’s Day where we may Ooni’s pizza dough recipe. Easy to stretch, came out great.

Second time was dough we got from the grocery store. The baker sells bags of dough that you’re meant to come home and let rose, etc. Hard to stretch, and burned pretty easily.

Planning on running it again this Saturday for older daughter’s birthday sleepover. 6-7 individual pies. Should be interesting… deal is, only the Ooni dough.
    Updates? I love mine, soooo damned easy to use. I've got the old pellet model.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter

Your wife got you something for Father's Day? Neat! What does that feel like?

pat

User Tag List