Page 103 of 152 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1520

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Site Supporter
    Costco had a giant 12 foot lighted offset umbrella last trip. It was sexy.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Lease on our place says I can't grill/smoke/cook under the gazebo on our back deck (it's entirely metal...but whatever). Fortunately, I have a driveway immediately adjacent and just roll the smoker onto it for cooking and back on for storage. I did get a cover to throw over for when I don't plan to use the smoker for a few days.

Wound up cutting my 7 lbs boneless butt in half. Why? More surface area = more bark. Smaller size = faster cook. Two butts = rub taste test! Smaller size = fits on lower rack so the upper rack can be filled with lots of other stuff!

One half. Plan on cooking both though.
    Name:  CC50DE7A-1224-4CAB-8F43-BB20A93C92F2.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  75.2 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Just seasoned a rack of beef ribs for a smoke tomorrow. My mouth is already watering.

Planning on cutting them and freezing 1 or 2 after smoking. One of them is going to get chunked off the bone and become pho. I need to hit the Asian market to see if they have any beef tendon. Mmm.

Pictures tomorrow.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Went to the Farmer's Market this morning and got some Beef short ribs to do this evening. Came home and wife had gotten some pork babyback to smoke (great minds?)

So...tonight you can have your pick. The pork is just paprika, salt, little garlic powder, and black pepper. The beef is crushed red pepper and Trader Joes "Soyaki" - smoker is set to 200 and I'll run 'em out for about 2-2.5 hours like this and then roll the temp up to finish them for about 10-15 min at the end.

Name:  B9191D18-E0C0-44A2-AA71-CAB779EF3642.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  55.6 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Went to the Farmer's Market this morning and got some Beef short ribs to do this evening. Came home and wife had gotten some pork babyback to smoke (great minds?)

So...tonight you can have your pick. The pork is just paprika, salt, little garlic powder, and black pepper. The beef is crushed red pepper and Trader Joes "Soyaki" - smoker is set to 200 and I'll run 'em out for about 2-2.5 hours like this and then roll the temp up to finish them for about 10-15 min at the end.

Name:  B9191D18-E0C0-44A2-AA71-CAB779EF3642.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  55.6 KB
    Not sure about your new digs, but here, at this altitude, in my smoker, your time/temp calculations will have them cooked, but not necessarily tender-rendered (a VERY important distinction for Mrs. UNM1136).

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Not sure about your new digs, but here, at this altitude, in my smoker, your time/temp calculations will have them cooked, but not necessarily tender-rendered (a VERY important distinction for Mrs. UNM1136).

pat
    I ran 'em two hours at 200 and then went up to 300 for an hour. And just took them out. They are not quite but almost fall off the bone.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I ran 'em two hours at 200 and then went up to 300 for an hour. And just took them out. They are not quite but almost fall off the bone.
    Seems reasonable. A new co-worker is an honest to God national BBQ judge, and he insists that fall off the bone is overcooked. Mrs. UNM1136 disagrees, and she thinks that meat on the bone is too reminiscent of the animal, so no bueno unless it falls off at any loud noise. She thinks chicken nuggets or tenders are the ulimate expression of chicken, and boneless steaks are the best beef. While J. Kenki Lopez-Alt did some controlled experiments on bone in/boneless meats and found little difference in moisture and flavor, I like toasted marrow and bones to gnaw on...

Those are her opinions on store bought meats, but I bone out my game, so she thinks it is God given. She loves game. Not sure she is wrong, but for different reasons.

pat

Seems reasonable. A new co-worker is an honest to God national BBQ judge, and he insists that fall off the bone is overcooked. Mrs. UNM1136 disagrees, and she thinks that meat on the bone is too reminiscent of the animal, so no bueno unless it falls off at any loud noise. She thinks chicken nuggets or tenders are the ulimate expression of chicken, and boneless steaks are the best beef. While J. Kenki Lopez-Alt did some controlled experiments on bone in/boneless meats and found little difference in moisture and flavor, I like toasted marrow and bones to gnaw on...

Those are her opinions on store bought meats, but I bone out my game, so she thinks it is God given. She loves game. Not sure she is wrong, but for different reasons.

pat
    Yea, I think I needed another hour at 200 or 225, the fat was almost rendered, but too chewy and not quite moist enough for my taste. Wife and mom said they were delicious, I wasn't happy though.

Seems reasonable. A new co-worker is an honest to God national BBQ judge, and he insists that fall off the bone is overcooked. Mrs. UNM1136 disagrees, and she thinks that meat on the bone is too reminiscent of the animal, so no bueno unless it falls off at any loud noise.
    My wife LSK wants “fall off the bone”. I tell her it’s because before she met me s the only ribs she’d ever had were from Chile’s and the like.

I never thought about the “too much like animal” before.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List