Page 114 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1518

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Well, wife did one of the two tomahawks sous vide then finished on the grill (which is what qualifies it for this thread, haha). First issue, she had it in the bath at 140 (I think) for 4 hours and it came out with a center temp of 120. I suspect it wasn’t fully thawed when it went in. Second issue, for a family that prefers filet, there is a lot of this thing that is inedible. Third issue, because there’s really just one little medallion in the middle, there wasn’t really enough meat for two, let alone four, people.

I bought two originally expecting to make us each one on a night when the kids weren’t here, because I suspected there was a high ratio of inedible:edible. Now we have just one, so I guess I’ll maybe smoke/sear that one when nobody else is home.

Before “carving”
    <snip>

All the inedible bits. What’s really frustrating is seeing some bits of actual meat in there but not willing to take the time to carve them out.
    <snip>

Here’s the pic from the wild ford site. Blue arrow points to the only edible bit.
    Attachment 84405
    That would be frustrating. When we last visited my daughter and paid a visit to Red Raider Meats they were out of the dry aged ribeyes. They recommended the tomahawk steaks as the closest to them. I was a little intimidated by them, and they weren't cheap either, although 3-4 lbs each. They did look more triangular and less like a lollipop. Now kinda glad I opted for a tenderloin instead.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JclInAtx View Post
    That would be frustrating. When we last visited my daughter and paid a visit to Red Raider Meats they were out of the dry aged ribeyes. They recommended the tomahawk steaks as the closest to them. I was a little intimidated by them, and they weren't cheap either, although 3-4 lbs each. They did look more triangular and less like a lollipop. Now kinda glad I opted for a tenderloin instead.
    We love the tomahawk chop.
    Sear the heck out of it on both sides (I literally set it on fire for about a minute on each side)
    Turn off the burner on one side of the grill. Stick a temperature probe in the meat and offset cook it to 115F.
    Rest to 125F. Slice and serve.

The thick cut allows you to get a great char without overcooking the center. #fabulous
    Cooking a tomahawk sous vide seems wrong, but, have at it if that's what you want.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Name:  C8D925DF-8DA1-4815-A6BF-DB5279B25FCC.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  60.1 KB
    Name:  A5C4835B-1EF9-4DD3-ABC8-FA24D98C2454.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  53.7 KB

About 3 months into owning this Ooni outdoor pizza oven. Happy so far. Glad I went straight propane instead of fiddling with charcoal, especially at altitude.

It’s been a learning process with dough, especially since I make both regular and gluten free.

Pizzas cook in about 90 seconds to 2 minutes.

Supporting Business Dark Star Gear's Avatar
    I still love my original pellet model. Pizza is soooo good.
    Dark Star Gear
    Best method to contact us is email: info@darkstargear.com

Meal prep, still working on my brisket game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    Meal prep, still working on my brisket game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ve been contemplating trying the “Carnivore” diet just so I can eat brisket like that for every meal. Looks awesome!

As good a place as any to talk about the new Traeger

https://www.traeger.com/timberline

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    As good a place as any to talk about the new Traeger

https://www.traeger.com/timberline

We've had a Traeger now for about 2 years now.
    It's one of their middle of the road models, surely not top of the line, but;

It makes great ribs, tri-tip, and roasts.
    Chicken comes out incredible, as does a roast turkey.

It is by no means a smoker, but does add a fair deal of smoke flavor to whatever you cook.
    If we had not won it in a contest, I would have purchased a real wood smoker.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

$3500 for a Traeger? You could get a top tier pellet grill from just about anyone at that price (many of which are actually made in the USA). Plus, why would anyone want an induction burner on an outdoor smoker?

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Plus, why would anyone want an induction burner on an outdoor smoker?
    why wouldn't you? Searing (particularly if you're a pellet guy, you need something with some heat), sides, etc.

I wouldn't expect them to add a gas burner to an electric appliance.

I agree with you on the price though. The Yoder I've been looking at is 2/3 the price ($2k vs the Traeger $3k) and I'm unclear what that extra K gets me.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List