Page 121 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1517

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Also, very much agree. About instant probe. Thermaprobe Thermapens are the industry leader, for a reason.

pat
    Thermoworks, not Thermoprobe.

Thermapens are the standard, and on sale now.

In cooking school I had an off brand, but it had a minimum thickness of food to be accurate, and took longer to settle than the Thermapen.

Laboratory grade.

No messing around. Pricey, but so worth it.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I'm not a fan of griddle steak. Prefer flame or charcoal or smoke and then reverse sear.
    Try 3 minutes a side next time then check with an instant probe. Easy to cook more if needed.
    If you have a smoker, maybe smoke for a while (start with the steak straight from the fridge) then sear on the griddle.?
    I've let my smoked steaks cool before searing as well. More time but allows me to smoke longer.
    Wilco.

No smoker, we're in the RV.

Depending on steak thickness and desired doneness, 5 minutes a side is a LONG time. You won't get charcoal flavor without charcoal. You won't get smoke flavor without smoke. Griddles make a whole bunch of things easier and more convienient, but there is a trade off.
    Copy.

As an engineer think about conductive vs. convective heat transfer.

pat
    Damn, I am impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    It depends upon the thickness as to time per side to preferred doneness.

On average I find 4 minutes per side to be good for med rare, but thats on my grill and yours may be different.

I'd start with the recommended 3 minutes. You can always put back on the grill to cook a little more if needed but can't uncook. The instant read thermometer is a great suggestion.
    Got it, thanks.

Tonight we switched to Brats and Burgers, will grilled onions/peppers on the side. Turned out a lot better than the steak.

Name:  IMG_1161.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  53.8 KB

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Main challenge now is that nobody eats together.
    That's just kind of how it is with outdoor pizza. We just make sure there's salad, pasta, etc. and then cut the first pizzas up enough that everyone can have a slice or two. If people want special toppings, they wait. If they are vegan, they are politely told to leave.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Thermopop for camper life.

Compact, readable at 90° increments, and backlit.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    @RJ did you add any butter or other oil to the griddle for your steak? Griddle steaks should be cooked in butter, though I might give avacado oil a try for something different on @RobS ‘s recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    @RJ did you add any butter or other oil to the griddle for your steak? Griddle steaks should be cooked in butter, though I might give avacado oil a try for something different on @RobS ‘s recommendation.
    Yep, Avocado oil (specifically). But I doubt we'll do "real" steak on the griddle again. We still have our small grille and charcoal. It's hard to beat for the flavor, but the clean up is a mild PITA.

Still, for what we bought it for and the price ($130 at Ace Hardware), I really like the 17" Blackstone griddle for what we wanted it for (eggs, bacon, hot dogs etc.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Still, for what we bought it for and the price ($130 at Ace Hardware), I really like the 17" Blackstone griddle for what we wanted it for (eggs, bacon, hot dogs etc.)
    Your skillet onions, burgers, brats look delicious. I waffle between the skillet and the grill for burgers. Both good. Spent a summer camping around the country with a roommate the summer after college.. We had a portable, tabletop propane grill that had a flat top griddle built into the lid. Turn it on, close the lid. Cook on the top. Perfect for serving 2 broke kids living out of the back of a Datsun wagon.

Like this but with a flat cooking surface when you close the lid.

Name:  cac1b0fe-ee5b-4bd4-92ed-873106a88ad8_1.2c33bde727efdaddc9244eca8d2247f4.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  34.4 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Yep, Avocado oil (specifically). But I doubt we'll do "real" steak on the griddle again. We still have our small grille and charcoal. It's hard to beat for the flavor, but the clean up is a mild PITA.
    My uncle was a Weber kettle fanatic for many years, but he recently switched to a propane grill for the convenience. I think it's one of these Weber grills https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas-grills/q-grills/ for just him and my aunt the size is fine.

For convenience you could ditch the charcoal grill and switch to all propane.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If they are vegan, they are politely told to leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by JclInAtx View Post
    you could ditch the charcoal grill and switch to all propane.

/propane and propane accessories

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I've let my smoked steaks cool before searing as well. More time but allows me to smoke longer.
    This works well when doing sous vide too. I let them cool while I'm bringing the lump charcoal in the BGE up to at least 500 degrees. Perfect steak every time without over cooking.

User Tag List