Page 126 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 1513

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Site Supporter
    After 2 weeks vacation and a week of COVID, I'm catching up on my smoking today. A batch of turkey breasts this morning. Now a tri-tip that I wrapped at 180'F, headed for 200 (I liked the way this turned out last time, better than reverse sear), Montreal seasoned.

I'm saving the pre-marinated pork tenderloins for tomorrow.
    Hopefully Central Market has Shishito peppers in stock.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I LOVE tri-tip.
    It's not a cut that you find alot in the stores, but I have a source, and smoke it as well.
    What a wonderful rich, beefy treasure.

Tomorrow is two very thick marinated pork loin chops, smoked in a hickory oak blend.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ljdenial View Post
    Pitboss pellet grills are great, but there are definitely some downsides. I would recommend gas if you plan to use it only a couple of times a month, since it's easy to use and requires little maintenance.
    Check this site https://thebarbec.com/ for more suggestions. Whenever I make burgers on my pitboss, I finish them on my Weber Genesis. On a hot gas grill, sear for 45-50 minutes at 200 degrees. best burger ever…
    I just got a Pit Boss about two months ago. I'd have to look at the model but it has two sides. One a pellet grill and the other a gas grill. There's a baffle between the two so you can direct smoke through the gas grill. I'm loving it as a best of both worlds.

As for pecan, I have a huge tree dropping limbs. I've long used the small ones I clean up after storms for the charcoal smoker. It just dropped an 18" diameter limb and I've broken it down and about to split it for fire pit cooking. I'm going to have to take the whole tree down, which I hate, but its huge and dangerous at this point.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I LOVE tri-tip.
    It's not a cut that you find alot in the stores, but I have a source, and smoke it as well.
    What a wonderful rich, beefy treasure.

Tomorrow is two very thick marinated pork loin chops, smoked in a hickory oak blend.
    It's unusual to find tri tip on sale. 7.99 or 8.99/lb is typical. Caught it on sale for 5.99 and it was delicious. Smoked it to 170, wrapped with a half cup of ACV and water 50:50 to 202. Rested for an hour. Wife made couscous with chicken stock and diced fresh Roma tomatoes, garlic. And some grilled broccoli left over from Friday.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    It's unusual to find tri tip on sale. 7.99 or 8.99/lb is typical. Caught it on sale for 5.99 and it was delicious. Smoked it to 170, wrapped with a half cup of ACV and water 50:50 to 202. Rested for an hour. Wife made couscous with chicken stock and diced fresh Roma tomatoes, garlic. And some grilled broccoli left over from Friday.
    I'm on my way for leftovers...
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Actually found a brisket for $2.99/lb this morning, so maybe next weekend when the MIL is here I'll smoke it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    For you guys doing poultry: I like using leftovers in Smoked Bird of Choice Salad on sturdy bread, preferably with homemade mayo and pickles, or Smoked Bird of Choice Green Chile Enchiladas

One is a huge hit in the summer and the other is great in the winter.

Mrs.UNM1136 has been on a Ramen kick lately, on Food Paradise a few moments ago I saw a Georgia (IIRC) chef do a BBQ Ramen Bowl. Bones from the Smoked meat being used to make Ramen broth. The guy used pulled pork butt, but based on appearance and description I could see it done with skin on or off chicken thighs,, provided you get a good bark without drying them out.. Put cooked, fresh Ramen noodles in a bowl of smoked meat Ramen Broth (bonus if the noodles were cooked in it). Add pulled meat, a soft boiled or poached egg, a garnish of nori, a crisped up piece of pork belly and something I will have to backup the DVR to get.

Now on the honeydo list.

pat

Site Supporter
    The other two things were Shittake mushrooms and collard greens.

I would probably get disowned for making tamales this year (we usually do 10-15 dozen) with pulled pork, but it might be worth a try. I will probably rather sloppily remove the bones from the butt, vacuum seal, and freeze. Make tamales with the meat as usual. Then on a later date thaw and smoke them bones, time/temp TBD. Make pork Ramen broth, then pork Ramen. New Year's Eve, smoke a butt, hoping for more/thicker bark. Make the Ramen.

I understand that in the south collard greens are eaten for luck on New Years Day. And I like them. This would make a decent, quick, easy breakfast/brunch/lunch/hangover cure.

I found the episode online, but am not willing to give Bezos more money to access Discovery+. The production values are much better on Food Paradise, but I found a segment on another show showcasing the same chef, restaurant, and dish. Here it is:

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 08-10-2022 at 06:45 PM.

I was originally against them, only due to the hype, but my wife insisted we get a griddle and after hearing some friends rave, we got one. Totally worth it. The shear cooking area alone is great.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List