Page 100 of 152 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1517

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Had to get away from the computer this morning so I took a drive over to Kroger to pick up a few things on the list.... The empty spaces on the meat shelves were notable.

On the good news side, they had a bunch of Akaushi ribeyes and strips in the Wahoo bin. Marked down from $29.99/lb to $9.99 . Never tried Akaushi, so, I picked up a boneless ribeye for later in the week. I might just pick up some charcoal and try the grate-on-the-chimney trick that @UNM1136 mentioned above. I can't remember the last time I cooked over charcoal.

They also had a 3-pound Angus Tri-Tip for $9.50-ish (total price) . Wrapped that and put it in the freezer.
    Looks like beef prices will be crazy for a while, until JBS recovers from their cyberattack.
    Be careful. The chimney starter creates a super hot jet of fire. It cooks quickly. Stay on top of it and you will win if you are worthy...😝You will be the master of the flame...(or master of your domain &#128540

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I have so come to hate cooking outside my own equipment that my solution to fixed, public(-ish), grills is a bag of matchlight, light the bag, consume enough beer that I can't taste the lighter fluid.
    With enough beer anything is possible...

(Should we really start a homebrew thread?)

BTW 100 pages of outdoor cooking...woohoo! Even if everyone poopooed my Diskit and is now cooking on griddles....😝

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-02-2021 at 12:49 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Interesting technique. I would have just tried cooking on top of the chimney if you didn't post the how-to.

Thanks!

For dry ageing a steak or two, we find that putting them up on a wire cookie rack over a sheet pan works great. No paper towels required.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

It has occurred to me in the past that having a side burner on a propane grill (something I never could come up with a good use for and always avoided) would be an awful good way to start my charcoal.

Seems wrong though, somehow...
    Same, until I saw it and connected it to how I value my time. It's not wrong if its right.

Site Supporter
    With a name like “welder” I’d have thought that’d be right up your alley.
    Yeah, to be honest, making charcoal sounds like more fun than cooking to me. If I really was a caveman, I'd be a pretty thin one. I don't think my body has a cooking gene in it. But I will persevere.

Today I picked up my $10 Weber charcoal grill. Even came with some briquets still in it. I think I have everything so that tomorrow night I might be able to cook hot dogs. If I get home in time to do anything other than hit the hay.

Site Supporter
    No cooking tonight. Just got home from helping assemble a Liebherr Reach Stacker. Pretty cool job but this isn't the thread to pontificate on it. Maybe some grilling tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Yeah, to be honest, making charcoal sounds like more fun than cooking to me. If I really was a caveman, I'd be a pretty thin one. I don't think my body has a cooking gene in it. But I will persevere.

Today I picked up my $10 Weber charcoal grill. Even came with some briquets still in it. I think I have everything so that tomorrow night I might be able to cook hot dogs. If I get home in time to do anything other than hit the hay.
    If you're a welder you can cook I caught my son and my other mechanic cooking burritos wrapped in tin foil on a truck deck they were welding up yesterday. It was one of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments. Mig beads on 1/4" steel put off a ton of heat and cook really quick.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    On the good news side, they had a bunch of Akaushi ribeyes and strips in the Wahoo bin. Marked down from $29.99/lb to $9.99 . Never tried Akaushi, so, I picked up a boneless ribeye for later in the week. I might just pick up some charcoal and try the grate-on-the-chimney trick that @UNM1136 mentioned above. I can't remember the last time I cooked over charcoal.
    I wound up grilling the Akaushi on the gas grill. Holy cow (literally), what a fantastic piece of beef. Flavor was wonderful, tender as veal.

If I ever catch up with another one, I'll definitely invest the time to go charcoal.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Just to wrap up my little part of this thread, I had my girlfriend over Saturday evening and used that Weber charcoal grill plus all the stuff y'all recommended to make us hot dogs....they were great Since the fire was contained in the holders that were centered on the lower rack, we were able to toast the buns on the edges for about 40 seconds at the end. Thumbs up for all the advice! I'll be using it again.

User Tag List