Page 107 of 152 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1511

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Site Supporter
    Wife wanted to try a smoked lemon chicken she saw on TikTok. LINK.

I'd been looking for an excuse to spatchcock a chicken (never had done so with my own two hands). Kroger had a few 5.5 pound chickens in the Wahoo bin marked down to 0.99/lb, so, perfect timing...

Smoked these for ~2.5 hours set at 350 (don't have a 375 setpoint), then up to 400F for 15 minutes to try and get the skin more crispy.

Chicken was delicious. Jucy, flavorful, lots of herb and lemon. But not very smoky. Not as much as I like. I would try it again in a flat pan (lower sides) and maybe smoke it on low for an hour before raising the temp.

The 4 of us ate maybe 1 chicken worth.. Going to pick the rest and decide between chicken salad or burritos later today.

Worthy first try.

Prepped
    Name:  Raw.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  97.6 KB

Done
    Name:  Ready.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  100.0 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    @UNM1136

This is the basis of my smoked meatloaf:

I substitute BBQ sauce for the ketchup for the glaze. I also use more jalapenos then the recipe calls for.

I leave mine in the fridge overnight in the aluminum wrap. When I put them on the smoker I make little boats with the aluminum, but leave the top open.

I am using 2-3 chunks of cherry and 1 chunk of hickory for flavor wood.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    @UNM1136

This is the basis of my smoked meatloaf:

Thanks. I was not aware of that one. I tried Alton's Good Eats meatloaf recipe several times. Never wowed me. I spent 20+ years looking for a meatloaf recipe. Nothing came close to "good". My mom and babysitter's from, like 4th grade, recipies were all done by eye and feel, and truth be told, were probably never as good as I seem to recall. I adore good meatloaf, but never found one I wanted to call my go-to.

I bought a cook book by one of my favorite food science guys, who likes Alton, BTW. Most of the info is available for free on the interwebs. Likes discussing princples. If you understand the why the how will generally sort itself out.

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food...eatloaf-recipe

This is a game changing meatloaf concept. I always make a double or triple recipe for meatloaf sandwiches and the freezer. Thus I only make it a couple-three times a year. I will have to hunt down his meatloaf sandwich recipe. A brief internet search reveals little, and it will take time to make write it up from the cook book. But it is good enough to make meatloaf just for sandwiches through the week. And did I mention that my current go-to is Green Chile Venison Meatloaf? My kids and wife prefer it to plain ol' beef.

pat

Trip to Wild Fork today…

This weekend we’re doing the beef ribs and some salmon (not pictured, from the local fish market).

There’s some pork steaks in there I’m anxious to smoke, and some pork belly I wanna do this way.

Name:  F1C5AB9E-8A2E-470F-B527-36F26104E8AF.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  65.3 KB
    Last edited by rob_s; 08-27-2021 at 05:10 PM.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    ...and some pork belly I wanna do this way.
    Those look great! Let me know how they come out. I honestly believe I am genetically required to turn pork bellies into chicharones, but what the hell...

pat

You guys are awesome. Now I’m hungry. After homemade chicken pot pie for dinner, homemade chocolate-chip cookie ice cream sandwiches, a homemade margarita and a glass of Espolon Anejo for dessert. Your pictures and recipes made me hungry.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    You guys are awesome. Now I’m hungry. After homemade chicken pot pie for dinner, homemade chocolate-chip cookie ice cream sandwiches, a homemade margarita and a glass of Espolon Anejo for dessert. Your pictures and recipes made me hungry.
    I really need to start taking pictures, but two years in cooking school where every dish prepared had to be typed up with a recipe, critiqued by the instructors, then photographed and all that info got put into a three inch three ring binder for our portfolio, which was a major part of our grade each term. Every freaking dish. Successful or not.

So taking pictures of my food is not something I enjoy or even desire to do.

Local organic market puts out a consistent house made pork and local Hatch green chile sausages. Deer season is coming up and I need to make room in the freezer. An hour on the smoker today with hickory might just cheer me up after butting heads this week with the state, my Lt, my wife, and spending a ton of money to replace our desktop computer that got fried two weeks ago. I like them smoked, wrapped in a pita, yellow mustard and red onion.

Dinner tonight is deep fried slider patties on Hawaiian rolls with Whataburger spicy ketchup, yellow mustard, red onion, and sweet pickles. Since I am firing up the dutch oven to deep fry, maybe some sweet potato fries and/or fried dill pickles. I don't fry foods often, so I don't want to let the opportunity go to waste.

pat

Site Supporter
    Leftover meat loaf sandwich, taken from The Food Lab, by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt.

A slice or two of meatloaf. Toss it on a foil lined broiler pan and broil until starting to crisp around the edges, about 5 minutes. Top with a slice of cheese (American, cheddar, Swiss, or Jack are recommended) and broil another minute until melted. Put on a toasted bun, top it like a hamurger.

I like mine with cheddar, onions, and pickles. I like to use the glaze en lieu of ketchup, if there is any left. If no, Whataburger spicy kerchup, which I can now find at Wal-Mart in 12 oz bottles. I have not had luck with my broiler, but have had luck with a griddle or cast iron skillet. Cook flat with just enough oil to keep from sticking, until the cut sides are browned and crispy. I butter (or mayonaise) the buns and toast them in the skillet before the meatloaf, and that is usually enough oil. You could probably even grill them, if your meatloaf will hold together. 3/4 inch to 2 inch thick slices are great. When I am in a hurry, I will eat them on a pita or flour tortilla. And Wickles spicy relish is welcome on any sandwich I stuff in my face. Ask me some time about my almond butter and strawberry-ghost pepper jelly sandwiches...

Name:  16oz-Wickles-PIckles-Red-Relish-v3_445x600.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  42.7 KB

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Leftover meat loaf sandwich, taken from The Food Lab, by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt.

A slice or two of meatloaf. Toss it on a foil lined broiler pan and broil until starting to crisp around the edges, about 5 minutes. Top with a slice of cheese (American, cheddar, Swiss, or Jack are recommended) and broil another minute until melted. Put on a toasted bun, top it like a hamurger.

I like mine with cheddar, onions, and pickles. I like to use the glaze en lieu of ketchup, if there is any left. If no, Whataburger spicy kerchup, which I can now find at Wal-Mart in 12 oz bottles. I have not had luck with my broiler, but have had luck with a griddle or cast iron skillet. Cook flat with just enough oil to keep from sticking, until the cut sides are browned and crispy. I butter (or mayonaise) the buns and toast them in the skillet before the meatloaf, and that is usually enough oil. You could probably even grill them, if your meatloaf will hold together. 3/4 inch to 2 inch thick slices are great. When I am in a hurry, I will eat them on a pita or flour tortilla. And Wickles spicy relish is welcome on any sandwich I stuff in my face. Ask me some time about my almond butter and strawberry-ghost pepper jelly sandwiches...

Name:  16oz-Wickles-PIckles-Red-Relish-v3_445x600.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  42.7 KB

pat
    Pleas post here more often.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Chicken on my Broil-King Keg.

https://imgur.com/a/lsN1rn4

User Tag List