Page 19 of 152 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Second time I've tried it. I like the results, but the flame step is definitely required.
    Next time I plan to try it with just salt and pepper to see if I can get a better sear on the flat top without needing the flame.

Flat top is awesome for burgers, figured I'd try steaks. Still tweaking, but not bad at all.
    Try salting your steaks 12-24 hours in advance of cook (I use rock salt). Steaks dissolve the salt and pull it into the meat seasoning the interior. Apply seasoning of choice @ 30 min before cook and let sit to come up close to room temp in the 30min precook season time. Has worked every time for me to have a well seasoned steak.

Also if using the flat top/skillet try a base coat of olive oil then seasoning. This usually helps creat a seared exterior seasoned crust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Put 3 racks of ribs and a 13# packer brisket on the smoker yesterday. Was my first time smoking a brisket and it turned out pretty decently, but I think I should have pulled it at 200 instead of 205 as it fell apart a bit when I was cutting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    Put 3 racks of ribs and a 13# packer brisket on the smoker yesterday. Was my first time smoking a brisket and it turned out pretty decently, but I think I should have pulled it at 200 instead of 205 as it fell apart a bit when I was cutting it.

That brisket looks GOOOD! My briskets are inconsistent but the ribs. shoulders and butts turn out great.

I have found when smoking brisket of the same same size, some take 8 hours and some take 10+, all at 200-225. What temp did you smoke and how long?

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    That brisket looks GOOOD! My briskets are inconsistent but the ribs. shoulders and butts turn out great.

I have found when smoking brisket of the same same size, some take 8 hours and some take 10+, all at 200-225. What temp did you smoke and how long?
    At the risk of being accused of heresy, the brisket was cooked at around 280-290 degrees. I use a pit barrel cooker which cooks at higher temps than would be conventionally accepted, but it seems to work quite well.

Total time for the cook was about 6-7 hours. The point hit 160 around 4 hours in, so I crutched it and let it go another 2-2.5 hours at which point it was right at 205 in the center. Then wrapped it in a towel, stuffed it in a cooler and let it rest for another couple hours while we fed the kids and got them to bed.
    Last edited by Matt O; 06-25-2018 at 08:11 AM. Reason: I canz spel.

At the risk of being accused of heresy, the brisket was cooked at around 280-290 degrees. I use a pit barrel cooker which cooks at higher temps than would be conventionally accepted, but it seems to work quite well.

Total time for the cook was about 6-7 hours. The point hit 160 around 4 hours in, so I crutched it and let it go another 2-2.5 hours at which point it was right at 205 in the center. Then wrapped it in a towel, stuffed it in a cooler and let it rest for another couple hours while we fed the kids and got them to bed.
    Did you crutch with foil or paper?

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Did you crutch with foil or paper?
    I used foil and a little beef broth. As the temp is higher than the usual 225ish guideline, I wanted to make sure I preserved as much moisture as possible.

Matt O, Nice smoke ring. That looks tasty. I have a BGE and do briskets at 225ish. Takes 10-14 hours but well worth it. Pork butts go about 10 hours, whole chickens take 4-6 hours. I usually throw some all beef sausages on at the beginning of the cook to have something to snack on while the main event is cooking. The rest of the family prefers beef ribs to brisket and a large BGE isn't quite big enough to accommodate both. Trying to weasel an XL BGE because of that.

I used foil and a little beef broth. As the temp is higher than the usual 225ish guideline, I wanted to make sure I preserved as much moisture as possible.
    Roger that. I am willing to give up a little moisture, so I generally crutch with paper. Gotta have that bark.
    Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely eat the hell out of that brisket, it looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Roger that. I am willing to give up a little moisture, so I generally crutch with paper. Gotta have that bark.
    Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely eat the hell out of that brisket, it looks great!
    To be honest, I might have been better off with butcher paper and will likely try that next time as, while I was happy it was so tender, I was a little disappointed it was falling apart so easily. Either way, good excuse to head back to Restaurant Depot for another brisket.

I may have missed it if so, but anyone using a pellet grill/smoker like a Traeger or a Rec Tec?

User Tag List