Page 76 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

Of course YouTube keeps recommending me smoker videos because I keep watching them...but this guy seems like he's providing a lot of metrics. The only thing he didn't mention is final product quality. How much smoke flavor did the meat get?
    A friend of mine has the pitboss pro1000 same thing as the XL in his review but is from Lowe’s. He also has the vertical smoker. They both put out good bbq but the vertical has better heat control throughout, he also uses smoke tubes to burn more pellets in to get a stronger smoke flavor. It’s ok flavor wise but not the same as a charcoal/wood pit. It’s really a toss up on a pellet, there are great ones out there but they all have fleas to a degree with the augers and pid units. Hard to choose....it’s like guns...what are your compromises?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JM Campbell; 11-23-2020 at 04:44 PM.
    AKA: SkyLine1

If you have a Traeger (I do) or know someone who loves their Traeger.......this is funny

While I was busy building the future home for the grill and smoker, the wife took over the Weber and turned out this amazing supper!

Name:  AE80D54F-C884-4308-B631-DF81CD59B7C6.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  57.4 KB

Name:  AE1ACFC6-1F8F-49F2-8FBE-15B42972BA75.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  95.7 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Speaking of my new grill station and wood deck therein...

Anyone found a grill mat that they're loving? I'm wanting something potentially as long as 8 ft to run across the front of both the smoker and the grill. Main use is to help keep burning stuff off the wood deck that's under the thatch tiki!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Speaking of my new grill station and wood deck therein...

Anyone found a grill mat that they're loving? I'm wanting something potentially as long as 8 ft to run across the front of both the smoker and the grill. Main use is to help keep burning stuff off the wood deck that's under the thatch tiki!
    6ft one here https://www.atbbq.com/accessories/gr...grill-mat.html

I have one that fits under mine it’s pretty heavy duty and fire rated. You might be able to contact them and see if a 8ft is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    It's been awhile since I've done a turkey breast, so I'll probably follow along thisaway. Been pretty satisfied with following this guy in the past. I don't buy his ingredients (although I do own some of his rubs based on a recommendation earlier in the thread) but moreso just follow his methods.

Wife picked up the breast for me earlier this week. I didn’t look at it until last night when I pulled it out to out in brine. Turns out she got a whole, skin-on, bone-in breast at 9 lbs! Glad I looked last night!

I went ahead and trimmed it up, peeled off the sling, and dumped it in the brine. I’m still going to do the Mayo and rub like above it’ll just cook a lot longer and we will have a lot more leftovers.

Brined our whole turkey breast yesterday in the family favorite of orange juice, garlic, onion, and Cajun seasoning. The pre-trimmed weight was 4.8 pounds. Cut through the keel bone to "butterfly" the bird for better smoke coverage and even cooking. Figure 80 minutes per pound at 215 degrees, so six hours or so. Went with 215 instead of 235 to help keep the bird moist. Smoking wood is apple, which is a good match for the citrus flavors. Dinner is scheduled at 4:00 PM, and bird went into smoker at 8:45 AM. So target time is 2:45 PM, allowing me an extra forty-five minutes of cook time if necessary. Target temp is five minutes above 150 degrees as measured by a Fluke 52 II logging thermometer and Fluke 80PK-25 temp probe.

Interesting goings on related to my new ThermoWorks Smoke.

First, I seem to have gotten the gateway to pair but not connected to the WiFi so that’s a thing I’ll have to figure out.

The other is that the Smoke probe is reporting a vastly different temp than the built- in thermometer on my smoker. I know that for a lot of people this is a “duh” but mine has historically been pretty close to accurate.

I checked the probes in booking water so I know they are reporting accurately at 212 anyway.

I’m not really sweating either thing today and I’m just gonna let it ride, but both will bear sorting out in the future.

Darwin is still at work as the turkey breast hit my temp target more than an hour before I expected it to do so. Additional probing proved it was done. The higher-than-forecast temps and less-than-forecast wind played a role, but it still finished much too early. It is now sitting wrapped in foil. It will need to go into the oven for heating before serving as it is still 2.5 hours before dinner is scheduled to be plated.

The good news is it smelled divine when I pulled it from the smoker. And early is better than later.

User Tag List