Page 63 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I may eventually pick one up. I'm also sort of intrigued by the Redbox since the double insulation and small size might make it more feasible for me to do smaller/faster meals in winter.

One of the things I like about the GMG grills is they sense the outside temperature which kicks the fan into a "turbo" mode when it gets cold. This enables the grill heat up quickly and maintain steady temperatures in cold temps. I use mine in the winter all the time even in temperatures down in into the teens without issue. You do use more pellets when it's really cold.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Anybody recommend a marinade injector? I'm thinking I probably ought to have one for a whole turkey.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Anybody recommend a marinade injector? I'm thinking I probably ought to have one for a whole turkey.
    I use el cheapo ones from local grocery store. Looks like a regular needle with a larger body for the solution. I think it was @ $4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

A little humor for fellow married BBQers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Name:  20201031_113243.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  49.2 KB

Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

I'm attempting to do two 10# pork shoulders today for pulled pork. It's been a challenge due to the 5F temps, the blanket is helping a bunch. I'm going to let it rock for 8 hours, if it isn't getting close by that point it's getting wrapped and put into the oven.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 10-31-2020 at 12:26 PM.

Name:  20201031_113243.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  49.2 KB

Name:  20201031_150419.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  59.2 KB

Site Supporter
    Looks tasty.

I lucked into a marked down brisket flat (prime grade)😃. When I got home from work this morning I rubbed it with https://www.albukirkyseasonings.com/collections/rubs-spice-blends/products/green-chile-rub, and tossed it into the smoker. I laid down for a nap and three hours later my smoker was not going hot enough to burn the wood chips. So I played with the temp and got the smoke going with a big handful of dry chips. The Malinois is well disciplined in his guarding of the meat closet. Mrs. UNM1136 was not happy that the brisket was slated to be done at about 1900, so I pulled a couple of pounds of locally made green chile pork sausage, speed thawed them with my sous vide, and tossed them on the top rack of the smoker. After an hour they were well smoked, and delicious on a tortilla with yellow mustard, onions, and pickles.

The brisket flat is a hair shy of 10 pounds, and at the seven hour mark at an internal temp of 148° on its way to 209°. Service will be sliced thin on a hamburger bun, pickles, and onions available, and either store bought Texas style sauce😥 or homemade chimichurri...😍. Leftovers will be split, sliced thin for sandwiches and chopped for tacos, then vacuum sealed and frozen.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Looks tasty.
    It had a very good flavor, was extremely moist...but was tough. I get it's a tough cut of meat. I left it on for almost four hours at 225 degrees. Any way to get it more tender without going past medium rare?

Site Supporter
    It had a very good flavor, was extremely moist...but was tough. I get it's a tough cut of meat. I left it on for almost four hours at 225 degrees. Any way to get it more tender without going past medium rare?
    Not sure. What animal? What smoke? What treatment? It may be that there is nothing to do for that cut, that heat, that smoke, that yadda, yadda yadda.

Mechanical treatment, will help....https://www.amazon.com/Tenderizer-St...40947239&psc=1

Chemical treatment MIGHT help...longer cook time, sacrificing extreme moisture for tenderness might help. This a very subjective area...

pat

User Tag List