Page 16 of 152 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Of course with food everyone has their preferences but I just don’t see how ultra rare steaks are “good”.

When going to college I worked at a excellent steak house one of the top steakhouses in the DFW Metroplex. I have tried all sorts of cuts of steak prepared from ultra rare to medium well(no need in trying a well done steak). The rare steaks always suffered from the lack of heat that was not sufficient to render down the marble and fat even when done “Pittsburg style”.

I feel the med rare zone(plus or minus a little) offers the best flavor and texture. Most chefs agree and will go into details why and how, which is always enlightening, fun and gets your mouth watering.

Now please I hope nobody take offense to what I say next because if you like your steak rare and enjoy it, then that’s all that matters. We are supposed to enjoy our food! What I often saw was that dudes usually try and attach some form of masculinity to their steak temperature and how rare thy like it. It is silly and I just shake my head and humor them by stroking their ego even more.

I will add that the type of cut is dependent on cook method and the leaner cuts can have cooler temps while still displaying good texture and taste but personally they are still on the cooler end of med rare.
    Last edited by EVP; 03-12-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Of course with food everyone has their preferences but I just don’t see how ultra rare steaks are “good”.

When going to college I worked at a excellent steak house one of the top steakhouses in the DFW Metroplex. I have tried all sorts of cuts of steak prepared from ultra rare to medium well(no need in trying a well done steak). The rare steaks always suffered from the lack of heat that was not sufficient to render down the marble and fat even when done “Pittsburg style”.

I feel the med rare zone(plus or minus a little) offers the best flavor and texture. Most chefs agree and will go into details why and how, which is always enlightening, fun and gets your mouth watering.

Now please I hope nobody take offense to what I say next because if you like your steak rare and enjoy it, then that’s all that matters. We are supposed to enjoy our food! What I often saw was that dudes usually try and attach some form of masculinity to their steak temperature and how rare thy like it. It is silly and I just shake my head and humor them by stroking their ego even more.

I will add that the type of cut is dependent on cook method and the leaner cuts can have cooler temps while still displaying good texture and taste but personally they are still on the cooler end of med rare.
    I'll continue to beat the sous vide drum. Best way to cook a steak there is. Among other things, if you prefer a steak rarer but warm it allows you to get the whole steak cooked through and warm but still pretty damn pink.

this is a good diagram of what I'm talking about
    Last edited by rob_s; 03-12-2018 at 12:10 PM.

I don't actually disagree; I usually cook to a medium rare with a sliver of purple. Rare steak is just a wonderful opportunity for hyperbole.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    If the cow was killed on a hot day it's too done.

I wiggle test steaks -- lift them a little and give them a shake, and derive temperature from flexibility. It works very well. Steaks are seared open and then covered and brought to temperature with 450-500F indirect.
    I spent the first summer with my electric smoker reverse searing my ribeyes.
    Smoke them on low for 45 minutes then slap them on a flat top cast iron griddle heated to hades on the gas grill.

Wife and kids got tired of smoked steak... Buzz-killers.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

What's cooking this weekend guys? I'm going to do chicken gyros on my Weber kettle rotisserie. Would really like to add lamb but can't find good fresh cuts locally...yet. Thought about doing ground lamb and beef but just pictured that falling off the spit in an epic fail. I saw some videos of it being done, but I'm cooking for a large group and can't risk falling on my face.... I'd hate to be ordering pizza last minute!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last weekend.

Certified Prime Grass Fed Black Angus Tomahawk steaks and petite sirloins, Asiago cheese bread and baked potatoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by donlapalma View Post
    What's cooking this weekend guys? I'm going to do chicken gyros on my Weber kettle rotisserie. Would really like to add lamb but can't find good fresh cuts locally...yet. Thought about doing ground lamb and beef but just pictured that falling off the spit in an epic fail. I saw some videos of it being done, but I'm cooking for a large group and can't risk falling on my face.... I'd hate to be ordering pizza last minute!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Use 2 small disposable aluminum pans mix season your lamb and place it In the 1st pan, spread the sides of the second pan and place on top of the first creating enclosed box. Depending how your rotisserie’s set up you can pierce directly through the center of both pans and still have the rotation. The other option is using cooking twine to secure the pans and just cook on top of grill. Most of your juices should be retained in the pan box and keep it juicy. Basically it is almost like meatloaf on the pit. Good luck!

Another option, https://www.amazon.com/KONA-Best-BBQ.../dp/B00KJVTB96

Make your seasoned lamb loafs and place on top of the mat and cook like a steak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

I did yet another boneless shoulder a couple of weekends ago. By all accounts it was my best one yet, but I've become bored with the whole thing.

Thinking I may turn my attention to ribs, but that's still pork...

done chickens a bunch in the past, and feel like I eat a ton of chicken during the week...

Heard good things about brisket, might try that...

I gotta come up with something if I'm going to stay interested in the smoker. Wife and kids went vegan which has put a giant buzzkill on the whole thing. They'll still eat meat off the smoker but it's been limited to only special occasions as opposed to a regular weekend thing.

Brisket’s awesome... try a pastrami.

Make every meal smoked meat until wife and kids come to their senses...

Site Supporter
    I had some beef pastrami from the farmers market last weekend and it was terrific. I'm going to have to try that.

This weekend I have a carver ham that I need to use up so that's what's on the menu.

rob_s - Beef Ribs are wonderful and won't take as long as brisket. Tri-tip smokes quickly (<1 hour) and can taste delicious but you need to get a quality cut. Another thought is to branch out using your smoking - I make Gumbo, Jambalaya and tortilla soup using smoked chicken and stock made from the carcass; it adds a great smokey flavor. Might be enough to bring the rest of the family to their senses... Oh, and if you work on that brisket, chili is a great way to use up leftovers.

User Tag List