Page 8 of 152 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    I would prefer the stainless grids! I don't think I have an option to swap them out at order time, though? I may order some replacements.
    I would call whoever you ordered from and ask about it.... Not sure about the Signet, but the Regal had a version that came with stainless grids..
    Tossing the porcelain is expensive...

I've never had good luck with porcelain grids... they always turn to rust way too soon.. Stainless grids last forever with just a bit of TLC.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

My last porcelain ones lasted about 7 years before rust became an issue. Looking around it seems I can buy just the grids for around $100. I might use the porcelain until they die and then swap them out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This reminds me what are y'alls recommrndations on thermometers ?

Are there any good ones with the wire you can run with the lid closed?
    I've broken too many Mavericks to recommend them. I've moved to a ThermoPro, it's been working well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    What I finally did (12 hours in) was finish it in the oven. I may do that in the future; most of the smoke flavor is added in the first four hours or so.
    I've also moved to finishing mine in the oven. I move them inside when I want to go to bed, and just have the thermometer alert me when it reaches 190F. If I time it right, it's about 20 minutes after I wake up.

Big Green Egg started a bit before 5:30 AM local time today. First batch of baby-back ribs on at 6:00 AM when the smoker was at 250 deg F. Holding temp at 225. First tear test somewhere between 8:30 and 9:00 this morning. This batch is going to friends of ours who are working at their store (local pawn shop and my FFL of choice) until late afternoon and do not have time to smoke.

I'm going to have to try this stuff next time.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best...l-for-grilling

I am doing my first run today with a 22" kettle and an Auber controller. I am about 1.5 hours in right now on one rack of BBR. This controller is awesome.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I feel like a dwarf walking into an NBA All-Star game posting here, but being as we travel a bit, we've been using this Weber Go-Anywhere grille a good bit this season:

Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004RALJ..._LjhpzbPB8YV9Y

This is after several years trying out various small propane grilles e.g. Weber Q1200. They just did not get hot enough.

Our new little Weber seems to be working out; I just dump charcoal in a pile, and fire it up. After an hour or so, the steaks (Ribeyes, usually) go on until Medium Rare, then get eaten reverently.

Burnt critter is mighty tasty.

I did 2 Boston Butts on my Weber Kettle today. Hickory smoked with a mixture of lump and briquettes using the Minion Method stacked to 1 side and held back by a pair of fire splits. The rub was different for me since I was knowingly cooking for both gluten free and auto-immune protocol requirements. Just over 8 hours to 195 with almost no stall. I was hosting a graduation party and had 20 minutes to spare. I pushed the heat to 275 on the meat side and had no problems

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    See, my dad uses a Weber Genesis...but he only operates on one level of doneness...

Fire-and-brimstone.

I love the man, but he'd sooner hear me say I'm marching nude in the gay pride parade than hear me say "medium rare".

"Well done" is so very much a misnomer. It'd be a lie to say it wasn't part of the reason I moved out

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List