Page 58 of 152 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I think you are right. Cedar planking fish is for the higher heat of a grill. I would even say direct heat, as the plank will insulate the fish as it cooks. Just my thoughts, and worth about what you paid for them...

pat
    You are correct, direct heat mid to high temp. Soaking the cedar plank in water first helps as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

I bought a Traeger a few years back and it works great.

Buddy of mine that did competition level bbq in Texas calls it my “easy bake oven”. Always makes me laugh.

Works great and delivers a consistently good product.

I do a great brisket and burnt ends on it, and my buddy doesn’t give me too much grief so I know it’s good.

Re: charcoal, I’m all Kingsford Original, no lump, all the time. Lump is too inconsistent. My smoker is designed for lump and I even made a basement for it to hold the smaller briquettes. Meathead agrees, btw.

Re: cedar planks, yes soak first, yes direct heat, no to smoking.

Re: smoked salmon, this is now the #1 request in my family. Wife and two girls absolutely love it.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Re: smoked salmon, this is now the #1 request in my family. Wife and two girls absolutely love it.
    Do you just use a fish basket, then?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    In my youth my family killed hogs and cured sausages, bacon, and ham in a smoke house. These were common. We burned oak wood in a pit. Before meat was hung, the wood burned down to a large bed of coals. We added wood onto the coals but not enough to have a blaze going. Also a smoke house can be too tight. Smoke must pass over the meat and flow out of the house. I wrote this to reinforce what was written about too much smoke adding bitterness. The smoke house's purpose is preservation using smoke and also salt to remove moisture. Even so, too much smoke is undesirable.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Do you just use a fish basket, then?
    Place on top of sliced lemon.

Site Supporter
    I have a friend who is Brazilian and they love to "BBQ". Their idea of BBQ is they cook meat on the grill all day and you just "graze" on grilled meat for hours - not a real sit down meal you sit around and socialize over drinks with an endless stream of grilled meat. Very nice!

He has a pellet grill so we bought a large pellet grill (Cabelas brand) on sale recently along with several bags of pellets (also on sale). We are really enjoying the pellet grill - great flavor and the ease of gas. Brisket, ribs, and chicken so far.

We took him hunting few weeks ago in Wyoming and we harvested an elk and two mule deer - he is now experimenting on grill elk and deer. He is also planning to hunt next year with us!

Citrusafe works pretty well, I used it the last time I cleaned my grates and grease from the pit. I did season everything that the citrusafe touched.

If your trying to remove creosote a map torch and scraper work well.

Never used a steam cleaner. But citrusafe dwelling on a surface and a steam cleaner might actually work extremely well. Citrusafe will strip grease and seasoning so if you do not reseason your pit will rust depending on the interior coating/paint/build material. Stainless steel not likely to rust but citrusafe uses citric acid to clean and that alone can cause items to rust pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I have a friend who is Brazilian and they love to "BBQ". Their idea of BBQ is they cook meat on the grill all day and you just "graze" on grilled meat for hours - not a real sit down meal you sit around and socialize over drinks with an endless stream of grilled meat. Very nice!

He has a pellet grill so we bought a large pellet grill (Cabelas brand) on sale recently along with several bags of pellets (also on sale). We are really enjoying the pellet grill - great flavor and the ease of gas. Brisket, ribs, and chicken so far.

We took him hunting few weeks ago in Wyoming and we harvested an elk and two mule deer - he is now experimenting on grill elk and deer. He is also planning to hunt next year with us!
    My next investment for BBQ, your buddy and new hunter should know this style very well.

https://carsonrodizio.com/products/kit

Going to take my pichana game up a notch or 2.

Pic of the first turn on my fav personal grill of late.

Ribeye or hanger steaks seared on an Oklahoma Joe XL chimney topped with a stainless round grate. Lump mesquite or hickory hardwood blend.

Working a lot of hours out of town right now - covid-related construction project. I drive in to town and in one hour:
    I pick up a steak, season it, lump burn to active coals while steak is placed close by to get up to ambient temp. 5.5min cook time and rest 5min while I toast garlic naan on the same fire.

The chimney allows a lot of airflow so the lump burns down quickly. A lot of heat for an awesome sear and bark if you like.

Fav seasoning is 1.25:1 mix of Fiesta Extra Fancy Steak and Salt Lick Garlic dry rub.

Almost hate briquettes theae days. Best use for that crap is to start and dry out damp firewood in the fire pit. Hehe

User Tag List