Page 125 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1514

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Gettin it dialed in. Too much cheese on this one.

Name:  FB3DB723-627F-482B-9CC9-14D0CDF0C092.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  100.5 KB

Name:  82F7DB70-9BE9-4E6D-A7F3-159DFEF7E816.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  72.1 KB

Name:  63DA1E6C-682C-48B6-B25A-8F43830D3207.jpg
Size:  59.1 KB

Name:  B19A7FD8-E453-4547-B4AE-3F42008514EE.jpg
Size:  100.9 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Gettin it dialed in. Too much cheese on this one.

Name:  FB3DB723-627F-482B-9CC9-14D0CDF0C092.jpg
Size:  100.5 KB

Name:  82F7DB70-9BE9-4E6D-A7F3-159DFEF7E816.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  72.1 KB

Name:  63DA1E6C-682C-48B6-B25A-8F43830D3207.jpg
Size:  59.1 KB

Name:  B19A7FD8-E453-4547-B4AE-3F42008514EE.jpg
Size:  100.9 KB
    Looks great. My wife is sold on fresh mozzarella on pizza. Bought rennet and citric acid to start making my own...

Will let everyone know how it turns out.

ETA: too much cheese is realy hard to do until you have to clean up the melted cheese mess...
    pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 07-07-2022 at 10:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NWshooter View Post
    All good stuff.

I do like to make people happy when I cook, so that’s a great point you make.

Temp and carryover is something I stress to my kids as I’ve taught them to cook.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    Thanks!

Cooking school was a HUGE disappointment for a home cook. It was geared toward preparing people for the Industry. In that lens, I am thankful for the degree and the experience. As a non-pro, it was probably a waste of time, but an enjoyable one back then.

If I never see another tornée or have to rinse parsely as part of the processing of parsley it will be too soon.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Looks great. My wife is sold on fresh mozzarella on pizza. Bought rennet and citric acid to start making my own...

Will let everyone know how it turns out.

ETA: too much cheese is realy hard to do until you have to clean up the melted cheese mess...
    pat
    I spent a good 10 minutes at the grocery store trying to decipher all of the various “mozzarella” versions. We tried shredded last time (it was for kids) and that was fine but really melted faster than the dough cooked.

First time we did, I think, a pretty-sliced. We all put these giant slices on and they didn’t really melt right. Oldest daughter went last and she tore the slides into smaller bits which worked except you can’t have the torn edge exposed or it burns weird with all the exposed fibers.

This time I bought a solid chunk, but not one of those “balls” that’s still in the water. So maybe slightly better than shredded. Then I sliced and cubed with the intent of getting (a) equal-sized bits for even melting and (b) no torn edges.

I think I’m ok with this “grade” of cheese, I just need to fine tune the cube sizes and quantities.

One thing I did this time was used larger, thinner, pepperoni. I think I’ll go back to thicker, smaller type. The big thin stuff also burned a bit more than I’d like where exposed.

Speaking of, one debate that rages on in our house is order of toppings. I like dough, then sauce, then everything else, then cheese. With the big ‘roni what I should have done was dough, sauce, ‘roni, veggies, cheese. IMO, cheese should always be on top. I read one time that many pizza places have a bunch of cheese pizzas ready to go, even already cooked, and all they do when you ask for toppings is add the toppings and re-heat the whole thing. So I have it stuck in my head that you put the cheese on last to prove it’s made from scratch.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    I usually do dough sauce cheese toppings. When I put in the extra effort it is dough, sauce, cheese, toppings, cheese, pepperoni. I like my pepperoni to get crisp. I like char on my veg, too, but their moisture content ensures everything else gets burned when I try. So when I REALLY put out the effort the veg goes onto a cooling rack in a sheet pan and gets hit with a torch until the edges char. When I use green chile other than locally roasted, and then peeled and frozen at home I drain the chile in a sieve for 20-30 minutes. Cheese on top traps too much moisture under a lot of circumstances.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ljdenial View Post
    Pitboss pellet grills are great, but there are definitely some downsides. I would recommend gas if you plan to use it only a couple of times a month, since it's easy to use and requires little maintenance.
    Check this site https://thebarbec.com/ for more suggestions. Whenever I make burgers on my pitboss, I finish them on my Weber Genesis. On a hot gas grill, sear for 45-50 minutes at 200 degrees. best burger ever…
    I'm a bit confused...

Pedantic Semantics.... Sorry.
    200F is neither "hot" nor "searing"...
    And there's no way I could hold my gas grill as low as 200F, even using only 1 burner on low.

Maybe you meant....
    Smoke 45-50 minutes at 200F on the Pitboss then reverse-sear on the gas grill? I could see that working well.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Indoor cooking using products from outdoor cooking: I kept the bones from my beef ribs, made a beef broth, and am now using that broth for a beef stew. Beef, mushrooms, lots o' veggies. I'm just waiting for it to cook down so I can add the potato/carrot/celery mix and then go running while it's back in the oven.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Indoor cooking using products from outdoor cooking: I kept the bones from my beef ribs, made a beef broth, and am now using that broth for a beef stew. Beef, mushrooms, lots o' veggies. I'm just waiting for it to cook down so I can add the potato/carrot/celery mix and then go running while it's back in the oven.
    Super yep, Brother.. Looks like you found the Serious Eats page on Beef Stew...It flat out works. Feed the used veggies (except the onions) to the dog.

Smoked bones will always help broth, soup, stew, or pan sauce...

Enjoy....

pat

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Stew was a hit. I thought I had two days worth. It's gone this morning. Both wife and son apparently dipped back in.

Smoking chicken today, I suppose. I want to do some gyros and have the spear thingy for my joetisserie to do it on, just need to assemble the ingredients and give it a go.

I love the smell of pecan smoke. I'm taking a lazy-ass weekend. I slept about 15 hours yesterday after having a sleep deprived week. It's hot and muggy and I'm doing nothing productive, so smoking vast amounts of poultry product for the week. Wings are on now. Next up honey chipotle breasts then Nashville hot.

User Tag List