Page 53 of 152 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Looks interesting. May have to try that one out.

Since it's from the shoulder I wonder if it's basically the equivalent of the" money meat " that you see with pork shoulders.
    Pretty much, it takes a little skill to remove it without destroying the muscle. I’ll probably pick up a complete shoulder one of these days from my butcher and separate everything myself. Just another evolution of bbq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    Reverse sear it using pecan splits/chunks and for the sear make sure your fire is super hot. Let the flame engulf the steak, the cut is pretty lean so really watch your time. I finish mine to @ 121F and rest about 5-10 min. If you can find a good chimichurri sauce it will really make the flavors pop. We’ve been using this brand for the last few times and have really enjoyed it.

https://www.amazon.com/Gaucho-Ranch-...=chimi&sr=8-26

Local butcher had to look it up. They call it a "Petite Tender" or a "Chuck Tender". And....... They have some in stock!

Wife gets home tomorrow.... She might get a treat.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Local butcher had to look it up. They call it a "Petite Tender" or a "Chuck Tender". And....... They have some in stock!

Wife gets home tomorrow.... She might get a treat.
    I guarantee she’ll love it, extremely tender and flavorful.

Site Supporter
    I guarantee she’ll love it, extremely tender and flavorful.

I picked up two of these from the local butcher. Together they were only 1.1 pounds, fairly small. They only had the two.
    Seasoned lightly with a Montreal seasoning for about an hour before cooking.
    It was in the mid 90's here yesterday, so, it was tough to get the smoker below 180'F.
    I was only able to smoke them for about 30 - 35 minutes and seared them when they hit 95'F internal temp.
    2 minutes each side got them to 118'F, rested for 10 minutes to 124'F.

Very tender, great flavor (beefiness was better than tenderloin), would have liked a bit more smoke.
    I also reverse seared some Ribeyes and we sliced everything up and ate steak over grilled Romaine lettuce (you should try it!)

I'll try this cut again when it's colder so I can smoke it longer, but, overall, delicious. Thanks for the suggestion.!

Bonus.... I've been having trouble finding Chuck ribs since Costco quit carrying them. The butcher had them aplenty and at a very non-butcher-shop price of $6.99/lb. I'll be going back for some of those soon.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I picked up two of these from the local butcher. Together they were only 1.1 pounds, fairly small. They only had the two.
    Seasoned lightly with a Montreal seasoning for about an hour before cooking.
    It was in the mid 90's here yesterday, so, it was tough to get the smoker below 180'F.
    I was only able to smoke them for about 30 - 35 minutes and seared them when they hit 95'F internal temp.
    2 minutes each side got them to 118'F, rested for 10 minutes to 124'F.

Very tender, great flavor (beefiness was better than tenderloin), would have liked a bit more smoke.
    I also reverse seared some Ribeyes and we sliced everything up and ate steak over grilled Romaine lettuce (you should try it!)

I'll try this cut again when it's colder so I can smoke it longer, but, overall, delicious. Thanks for the suggestion.!

Bonus.... I've been having trouble finding Chuck ribs since Costco quit carrying them. The butcher had them aplenty and at a very non-butcher-shop price of $6.99/lb. I'll be going back for some of those soon.
    That’s awesome, I have a restaurant supply local to me that I can order from. I get the teres major in vac packs with lite trim, they are usually 3-4 lbs total (multiple in pack). They are grass fed black angus from New Zealand. Being a lite/rough trim I can shape it more and remove/trim exactly what I want, it is a small muscle for sure and one not to pass up if you find it.

I’ll probably do them the same way and slice up and put in a salad.

Site Supporter
    That’s awesome, I have a restaurant supply local to me that I can order from. I get the teres major in vac packs with lite trim, they are usually 3-4 lbs total (multiple in pack). They are grass fed black angus from New Zealand. Being a lite/rough trim I can shape it more and remove/trim exactly what I want, it is a small muscle for sure and one not to pass up if you find it.

I’ll probably do them the same way and slice up and put in a salad.

This butcher near me also raises their own Angus cattle. USDA certified "All Natural", non-hormone treated (NHTC). Both grass and grain finished.

Honestly, it was the first time I wandered in there... I usually make do with what I find at Kroger.... but.. I'll definitely be back.

Thanks for sparking my curiosity.

This butcher near me also raises their own Angus cattle. USDA certified "All Natural", non-hormone treated (NHTC). Both grass and grain finished.

Honestly, it was the first time I wandered in there... I usually make do with what I find at Kroger.... but.. I'll definitely be back.

Thanks for sparking my curiosity.
    You’ll never turn back. Welcome to the dark side.

On the Weber today.

Name:  D3BB1BA3-574C-40BB-B61C-BA1E6AD20C95.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  61.3 KB
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    On the Weber today.

Name:  D3BB1BA3-574C-40BB-B61C-BA1E6AD20C95.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  61.3 KB
    Octopus?

Octopus?
    Pork and beef ribs. I have the small kettle so ive got to be creative with room. That coil is a 3.5 lb baby back.
    Octopus is best raw with the suckers still on it 😁

Name:  D5743DEA-2018-4425-A837-DA3E114D6FCF.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  50.2 KB
    Last edited by UNK; 07-12-2020 at 06:26 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List