Page 147 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 1519

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

What's every ones plan for tomorrow? Any outdoor cooking happening?

I have a bone in breast I'm planning to brine tonight and spatchcock then cook at350 in the smoker with a smoke tube Burning.

Undecided as yet but might pull, the skin off as well.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Have a 22# turkey injected with a Cajun butter mixture in the fridge. It goes on the SmokinTex smoker tonight at 8:00 PM as we are supposed to eat tomorrow at 1:00 PM. Smoke wood is apple.

Site Supporter
    Spatchcocked, seasoned and smoked two Turkeys on Monday. A bit over 30 pounds total.
    Wife made Turkey Pot Pies and Turkey Enchiladas with most of that. A few for donations, one pie for TG dinner table and one for the freezer.
    Smoked turkey pot pie is, by far, my favorite way to eat turkey.

Currently have a seasoned spatchcocked turkey in the fridge that will go on the smoker at about 0930 tomorrow to serve for dinner with a spiral ham, many sides, gravy and stuffing. We're expecting 12 for dinner, including several foreigners that have never had a proper TG family dinner. Looking forward to sharing with them.

Also planning an after-party. Invited friends and neighbors to bring leftover desserts and leftover wine and drinks for a come-and-go evening around the fire pit. Wife made two pies for the occasion. Looks like at least 20 so far.... Weather looks promisingly perfect. We try to do this for the big family holidays... Makes for a nice break from a long weekend of extend family. Also a good way to divest of a lot of unwanted calories sitting around waiting for me to yield to temptation.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Also planning an after-party. Invited friends and neighbors to bring leftover desserts and leftover wine and drinks for a come-and-go evening around the fire pit. Wife made two pies for the occasion. Looks like at least 20 so far.... Weather looks promisingly perfect. We try to do this for the big family holidays... Makes for a nice break from a long weekend of extend family. Also a good way to divest of a lot of unwanted calories sitting around waiting for me to yield to temptation.

I absolutely love this idea.

You're doing this on Thanksgiving, just in the evening?

I might steal the idea and suggest it to the wife, but maybe for Friday evening.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I absolutely love this idea.

You're doing this on Thanksgiving, just in the evening?

I might steal the idea and suggest it to the wife, but maybe for Friday evening.
    Yes... Thursday night after Football and turkey seconds.
    We've done this on Christmas as well with great participation when the weather is good.

After sitting around watching the parade, eating, football, playing card games with the kids and washing dishes, going outside (or at least out of the house) for some adult time is a nice break... We started doing this a bunch of years ago after we hit a wall with entertaining family. Our family enjoyed meeting the neighbors. Neighbors loved having a reason to get out of the house for a few hours with their visitors and not have to drive or find some entertainment that is open on Thanksgiving night.

S'mores for the kids and Whirley Pop over the fire are big hits.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    "Made from scratch" blueberry cobbler I cooked at camp this past weekend to go along with our steaks and baked 'taters around the fire.
    I baked it in the dutch oven after preheating it over the fire. With the body of the DO hot, I put the cobbler inside, then put a heavy layer of coals on top. It baked for 45min.

There was only enough left for me to have breakfast the next morning.

Name:  20231118_152124.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  75.5 KB

Chris

Site Supporter
    No company this year so just my wife, and daughter home from college. Decided to do surf and turf - filet mignon and king crab legs from Costco grilled on the Weber. May do mac and cheese and scalloped potatoes on the smoker, well see. Doing smoked pork belly burnt ends tonight, but got a late start again so it may be a midnight snack instead of dinner.

Site Supporter
    My wife (complete with 16 stitches in her strong hand, see the other thread) and I have had 10 adults and 6 kids in the house since yesterday afternoon, will have 2more for Thanksgiving dinner.

Last night I smoked 3 tri tips and seared them on the grill. They came out great. Tonight I did stuffed peppers. Tomorrow we are having a smoked Turkey from Nueske’s, along with a ham and a ton of sides. I’d like to smoke a Turkey myself next year.

So far I brined by 6lbs bone in breast for 8 hours in Kosmos Q wet brine, then rinsed, patted dry, rubbed with a little corn starch, and stuck it back in the fridge uncovered on a wire rack.

I think I am going to spatchcock it, then slather it with a mayo and rub mixture both under and over the skin and cook it at 350° with the smoke tube running. I’m guesstimating it could be done in an hour to an hour and a half.

Still toying wothnthe idea of starting it off at 225° gornthe first 30 minutes or so.

Planning to take it off somewhere in the 160° internal temp neighborhood.

13 pounder going on the Weber kettle for a 3 hour spell. I cover it in olive oil, and a Grille-mate's 'Smokehouse Maple' dusting.

Was going to use the Treager, but with the 7" of snow yesterday, and the 38* temp scheduled for today, it might be a struggle to keep temps constant.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List