Page 115 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1513

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    why wouldn't you? Searing (particularly if you're a pellet guy, you need something with some heat), sides, etc.

I wouldn't expect them to add a gas burner to an electric appliance.

I agree with you on the price though. The Yoder I've been looking at is 2/3 the price ($2k vs the Traeger $3k) and I'm unclear what that extra K gets me.
    The downside of propane/nat gas indoors is lower air quality unless you've addressed that with increased airflow etc. Induction stovetops make a whole lot of sense in that application. Outdoors, I don't see what you stand to gain unless swapping tanks is that much of a hassle and even then you could convert to nat gas.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

why wouldn't you? Searing (particularly if you're a pellet guy, you need something with some heat), sides, etc.

I wouldn't expect them to add a gas burner to an electric appliance.

I agree with you on the price though. The Yoder I've been looking at is 2/3 the price ($2k vs the Traeger $3k) and I'm unclear what that extra K gets me.
    Join the Yoder Facebook group, the Yoder pellet smokers have some issues as well. I really like the flat top charcoal “grill” that I smoke and bbq with. Construction is solid but the paint is not exactly stellar. It is a know issue with their product line, the paint they use is actually really good. It’s the prep work/application of the paint that is lacking in my opinion. Are you looking at a 480, 640 or doubling down on a 1500?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    The downside of propane/nat gas indoors is lower air quality unless you've addressed that with increased airflow etc. Induction stovetops make a whole lot of sense in that application. Outdoors, I don't see what you stand to gain unless swapping tanks is that much of a hassle and even then you could convert to nat gas.
    If all you have is the Traeger, and no municipal gas, adding either propane of natural gas is a pain not felt with the induction.

I think there are other benefits to induction, personally, but those aren't necessarily specific to outdoor cooking and probably don't matter here.

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    Join the Yoder Facebook group, the Yoder pellet smokers have some issues as well. I really like the flat top charcoal “grill” that I smoke and bbq with. Construction is solid but the paint is not exactly stellar. It is a know issue with their product line, the paint they use is actually really good. It’s the prep work/application of the paint that is lacking in my opinion. Are you looking at a 480, 640 or doubling down on a 1500?
    that's disconcerting to hear there's issues. I don't want to change smokers just to have problems.

I'm considering the 480, although how much I consider it depends on the hassle:quality ratio of whatever I last cooked!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

If all you have is the Traeger, and no municipal gas, adding either propane of natural gas is a pain not felt with the induction.

I think there are other benefits to induction, personally, but those aren't necessarily specific to outdoor cooking and probably don't matter here.

that's disconcerting to hear there's issues. I don't want to change smokers just to have problems.

I'm considering the 480, although how much I consider it depends on the hassle:quality ratio of whatever I last cooked!
    There are some ways to mitigate the issue with a wipe on lubricant that expels water that’s designed to treat aircraft. I’ll have to look at the bottle I have to see what it’s called.

Join the Yoder Facebook group,
    Funnily enough, joined the Yoder page, saw somebody mention the Lone Star Grillz pellet, and now I’m lusting for one of those instead! The option of being able to cook over charcoal on the same device is intriguing, although I’d probably never wind up actually doing it.

There are some ways to mitigate the issue with a wipe on lubricant that expels water that’s designed to treat aircraft. I’ll have to look at the bottle I have to see what it’s called.
    Maybe this?

Boeshield T-9 Aerosol Can (4 -Ounce) (122184)
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Something very similar to that.

I grew tired of charcoal and my limited surface space and picked up a a Camp Chef pellet with griddle. I havent been able to get a good strong smoke flavor and definitely no black meteorite looking chunks of meat. Im thinking of smoking on the lowest temp at high smoke for a couple of hours before switching to 225 and high smoke.
    The other thing I am thinking about is using a meat probe as a grate probe on the upper rack and adjusting the controller to give me 225 at the upper grate and spinning the exhaust cover lower to hold the smoke in.
    Has anybody found a good method to improving the smoke flavor on a pellet smoker?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I grew tired of charcoal and my limited surface space and picked up a a Camp Chef pellet with griddle. I havent been able to get a good strong smoke flavor and definitely no black meteorite looking chunks of meat. Im thinking of smoking on the lowest temp at high smoke for a couple of hours before switching to 225 and high smoke.
    The other thing I am thinking about is using a meat probe as a grate probe on the upper rack and adjusting the controller to give me 225 at the upper grate and spinning the exhaust cover lower to hold the smoke in.
    Has anybody found a good method to improving the smoke flavor on a pellet smoker?
    Different pellets?

Sounds like you're at max smoke.... maybe different pellets would improve your satisfaction... I've had good results with Pit Boss..
    Or try a stronger wood flavor.... Mesquite maybe?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Different pellets?

Sounds like you're at max smoke.... maybe different pellets would improve your satisfaction... I've had good results with Pit Boss..
    Or try a stronger wood flavor.... Mesquite maybe?
    That was going to be my first question, what pellets are you using?

I have gotten very comfortable with my Weber Kamado. I was frustrated for a while because the fuel is far from the grate. I learned to let its phenomenal airflow take temps up above 600 and I can do a wicked sear. Holds smoking temps well too.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List