Page 93 of 152 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

I know some of you already posted your tri-tip suggestions, but evidently I'm cooking mine tomorrow so I am gonna need all the tips you can give!

Right now I'm thinking about maybe an hour of smoke, then sous vide, then sear.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I know some of you already posted your tri-tip suggestions, but evidently I'm cooking mine tomorrow so I am gonna need all the tips you can give!

I like as much smoke as I can get, and I don't sous currently, so, FWIW.

I find that TT's heat up pretty quick and I like my steak med-rare. If I set my smoker on low and it's cold out, my smoker will hold about 150F or so on low. I get maybe 90 minutes on a very cold TT (straight from the fridge to the smoker) before internal temp starts pushing 100'F. Best TT I've made I smoked it to about 100-105, rested it and put it back in the fridge overnight, then seared it the next day until it was 110F, rested to 120F and sliced it. Rare in the middle, m-r on the edges.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Smoke it, let it rest and kick up the fire and sear it. I’d skip the sv. With smoking it you’ll get temp to @ 110f at approximately 20-30min depending on pit temp. The hot sear over flame will get you to 127-135f pretty quick which is a great med-rare for tri-tip. 145-155f temp is still really juicy and tender if cut against the grain if your family does not like med-rare.

SV would be a great way to warm up the left overs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I like as much smoke as I can get, and I don't sous currently, so, FWIW.

I find that TT's heat up pretty quick and I like my steak med-rare. If I set my smoker on low and it's cold out, my smoker will hold about 150F or so on low. I get maybe 90 minutes on a very cold TT (straight from the fridge to the smoker) before internal temp starts pushing 100'F. Best TT I've made I smoked it to about 100-105, rested it and put it back in the fridge overnight, then seared it the next day until it was 110F, rested to 120F and sliced it. Rare in the middle, m-r on the edges.
    Great idea...I’m weak and can’t wait till the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Took twice as long as expected but came out pretty good.

Name:  A3034EAD-CA4F-4865-A744-910ACDDC60BF.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  104.2 KB

I am really, really happy with this thermometer, and it’s on sale.
    https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

I also got the smoke gateway which allows you to track the cook on your phone as well, and graphs the cook which you can archive for later reference too. Also on sale.
    https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke-Gateway

As far as I know this is the only system that gives you a hardware remote AND an app to use on your phone all in one system. Sometimes I don’t want to sit there pulling up my phone and so having the physical remote is nice. Other times having the data on the app is helpful and I don’t mind pulling out the phone. And, theoretically, I could leave the house and still keep track of things.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Two questions for the charcoal users...

1) if you use lump, and you believe strongly in your lump of choice, what is it and why do you love it?
    2) whether you use lump or briquettes, what’s your method of starting them and why do you like that method?

Site Supporter

1) if you use lump, and you believe strongly in your lump of choice, what is it and why do you love it?
    2) whether you use lump or briquettes, what’s your method of starting them and why do you like that method?
    1. I imagine this may vary by the smoker you're using. With my pbc much of the flavor comes from the rendered fat dripping on the coals.
    2. Chimney. Works well for me, no need for additional products so I always have what I need on hand. I'm just dumping the lit coals in the charcoal basket of the pbc. If using a minion/snake method where you're only lighting a small amount I could see a cube or gel more convenient.

1) blues hog lump. Burns hotter than anything else I’ve found.
    2) I use grills that have a propane charcoal start.

First time cooking a tri tip. I got this one at Wild Fork Foods locally. Hit it with the Holy Cow rub from Meat Church BBQ and wrapped it tightly in Saran Wrap overnight. Went straight from the fridge to the The Good-One Smoker and...

1. Smoke at 220 until 110° internal temp (took about an hour)
    2. Sous vide at 132° for 6 hours
    3. Rest 5 min
    4. Sear the Weber Grills on the flat side of the GrillGrate at 600°
    5. Rest 10 min
    6. Carve

Wife made a great gravy out of the bag juice that really went well with the meat.

Final product
    Name:  CD0761A3-D218-4945-8B29-A0E3635578C8.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  74.1 KB

Rubbed & wrapped
    Name:  C21AEDF8-00EF-493F-99C6-1C9F5C2EDD47.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  58.6 KB

On the smoker
    Name:  8FFCAEC0-1520-4D79-BAF3-8435000E4982.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  101.7 KB

Just off the smoker
    Name:  447024F5-5833-4E5E-A91B-795E646F4F29.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  87.9 KB

Just out of the sous vide
    Name:  8334FC98-DAED-4683-BC98-85B54CD8EFF0.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  89.3 KB

Searing
    Name:  391CAD9E-C61D-492F-A13F-8EC19D7DBD8B.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  101.6 KB

“Leftovers”
    Name:  8BF6A8B1-2EE3-4A65-A4F7-C778A574B9BC.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  60.1 KB

User Tag List