Page 59 of 152 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Pic of the first turn on my fav personal grill of late.

Ribeye or hanger steaks seared on an Oklahoma Joe XL chimney topped with a stainless round grate. Lump mesquite or hickory hardwood blend.

Working a lot of hours out of town right now - covid-related construction project. I drive in to town and in one hour:
    I pick up a steak, season it, lump burn to active coals while steak is placed close by to get up to ambient temp. 5.5min cook time and rest 5min while I toast garlic naan on the same fire.

The chimney allows a lot of airflow so the lump burns down quickly. A lot of heat for an awesome sear and bark if you like.

Fav seasoning is 1.25:1 mix of Fiesta Extra Fancy Steak and Salt Lick Garlic dry rub.

Almost hate briquettes theae days. Best use for that crap is to start and dry out damp firewood in the fire pit. Hehe
    Hell yeah! Love the steak pic, cooked perfectly imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    Place on top of sliced lemon.

Instructions unclear. You mean place lemon directly on the grate and then put fish on top of that, no need for any sort of basket?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Instructions unclear. You mean place lemon directly on the grate and then put fish on top of that, no need for any sort of basket?
    Correct, the lemon slices will act as a buffer from the heat and will also lightly flavor the fish as well and be a aromatic. This method works well for mid to high temp cooking as well. Fish will not stick to the grate and the grate side will not burn because of the lemon slice being sacrificial. Side note, throw some extra lemon slices on by themselves as a garnish for plating.

AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    I have been known to use a chimney starter as a grill. A local shop frequently has amazing Ahi. Most of the time I slice it thin, dip it in ponzu and eat it that way. Other times I take english cucumbers and seed them, making boats. I chop the tuna like for tartare, stuff it in the boat, and make a dressing with ponzu, sesame oil and wasabi. But the Mrs. likes her fish cooked. So I roll the steak in sesame seeds and do a quick sear over the chimney starter.

Now that winter is here I plan on hot smoking some salmon and making one of the wife's favorites. Smoked Salmon Cheesecake. Everyone goes EWWWWW until they taste it. Got the recipe from one of Emeril Legasse's cook books. Used it in cooking school to make the only savory cheesecake in the class.

This week we will be in the low 30s for highs, and low 20s for lows. So I am smoking a turkey breast and a couple of wings and a back and dicing some turnips, parsnips, sweet potatoes, mire poix, and egg noodles to make smoked turkey noodle soup. When I get home from work tomorrow I will toss everything in a stock pot with some chicken stock and park it in a 200 degree oven to simmer all day. Noodles will be added in the afternoon after I pick the kids up at school.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 10-25-2020 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Do you just use a fish basket, then?
    For smoking I put it right on the grate, skin side down, then I lift the fish off the skin when it’s done and clean up the skin afterwards with a brush.

For grilling, I frequently use the lemon method discussed above.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I have been known to use a chimney starter as a grill. A local shop frequently has amazing Ahi. Most of the time I slice it thin, dip it in ponzu and eat it that way. Other times I take english cucumbers and seed them, making boats. I chop the tuna like for tartare, stuff it in the boat, and make a dressing with ponzu, sesame oil and wasabi. But the Mrs. likes her fish cooked. So I roll the steak in sesame seeds and do a quick sear over the chimney starter.

pat
    I've seen that method recommended in a few different places online and on YouTube I Believe. Really good way to get a super hot sear going for something like a thin steak, Etc.

Site Supporter
    Using this more and more....scrubs ever-lovin'-thing. Get the one made in Canada, not one of the chinese knockoffs....

https://www.amazon.com/Ringer-Origin...s%2C805&sr=8-6

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post

Now that winter is here I plan on hot smoking some salmon and making one of the wife's favorites. Smoked Salmon Cheesecake. Everyone goes EWWWWW until they taste it. Got the recipe from one of Emeril Legasse's cook books. Used it in cooking school to make the only savory cheesecake in the class.

This week we will be in the low 30s for highs, and low 20s for lows. So I am smoking a turkey breast and a couple of wings and a back and dicing some turnips, parsnips, sweet potatoes, mire poix, and egg noodles to make smoked turkey noodle soup. When I get home from work tomorrow I will toss everything in a stock pot with some chicken stock and park it in a 200 degree oven to simmer all day. Noodles will be added in the afternoon after I pick the kids up at school.

pat
    Saw that from a member here on IG and have used is several times. Doesn't take much charcoal or time to get almost too hot.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    These have been great for smoking or grilling fish.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For salmon, although I prefer it raw, when I do cook it I like to butter a sheet of foil, skin side on the butter, season and wrap tightly. Cook 7-8 minutes on a super hot grill and remove and unwrap promptly. The center should still be rare. The taste of salmon cooked through makes me wretch. Love salmon sashimi. YMMV. I like to use dry curry spices and some kosher salt. Always gets surprised raves when I serve it to friends.

+1 For @schüler Salt Lick garlic rub recommendation on beef and pork. One of my favorites.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Just saw this: https://www.amazon.com/Chimney-Mate-...a-774076009833

To better use the chimney starter as a skillet cooker, you need some standoff for air flow. I've seen Jason F use an old pair of tongs, but I was gonna try and make something that was more purpose built. I will likely notch some pipe that I have laying around instead.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List