Page 55 of 152 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Not sure if you’re an experienced peanut boiler or not so please don’t take offense if you already know these things...
    No offense taken. We've done them from time to time but first time using the cooker I inherited from my dad when he passed.

I do err of the side of less salt.

Thinking of trying some other flavors like cajun or low country boil has really been rattling around in the back of me head

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Did anyone notice this? Weird.
    https://www.augustachronicle.com/bus...rsquo-branding

Local pellet grill company REC TEC Grills has changed its name to recteq.

One word. No more “Grills.” No capital letters.

At the risk of sounding like a therapist: “How does that make you feel?”

Invigorated? Intrigued? Confused?

I ask about “feelings” because this re-brand is designed to evoke a very specific one – affinity. Specifically, a greater affinity for the growing line of products the company has built around the bull-styled barbecue grills that took the outdoor-cooking industry by storm more than a decade ago.
    A buncha words so they can trademark some stuff and protect the brand.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Few know that brisket is not a traditional Texas dish but has become most popular since the 1960's. Texas has a large Czech and German population, and these immigrants and certain Jewish immigrants brought the dish to Texas. Prior to its popularization, this cut was not widely known outside of these ethnic groups which settled in the same areas. Brisket is a cheap cut of meat coming from large muscle groups having high collagen content. If not broken down, collagen fibers make the meat tough. Some gelatinize the collagen by boiling and then placing the brisket on the grill. I interacted with many barbecue brisket cookers during my inspector days. I searched their minds and studied their methods. I bought cook books. I bought big gas grills and giant wood grills. I fucked up every single brisket I tried to cook.

[QUOTE=I’m still learning how to smoke brisket, it’s intimidating for sure. None of them so far have sucked but I would never call them the best I’ve had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxkU-I7e63E

This method has not disappointed! A co-worker shared it with us at work one day and everyone that has tried it, raves about it.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Few know that brisket is not a traditional Texas dish but has become most popular since the 1960's. Texas has a large Czech and German population, and these immigrants and certain Jewish immigrants brought the dish to Texas. Prior to its popularization, this cut was not widely known outside of these ethnic groups which settled in the same areas. Brisket is a cheap cut of meat coming from large muscle groups having high collagen content. If not broken down, collagen fibers make the meat tough. Some gelatinize the collagen by boiling and then placing the brisket on the grill. I interacted with many barbecue brisket cookers during my inspector days. I searched their minds and studied their methods. I bought cook books. I bought big gas grills and giant wood grills. I fucked up every single brisket I tried to cook.
    It's not that hard. But in all honesty we have all these computerized grills, bluetooth thermometers, etc. Without all that it would probably be a disaster.

This was my Saturday smoke. All agreed that this was the best salmon effort yet. I did the brine at 2x strength (same amount of salt & brown sugar, half the water), didn't cut up the big chunk (usually I've cut 2" or so strips) and really worked to keep the temp low (~180, until I got impatient and hungry at the end and ramped it up to ~240).

Name:  IMG_2724.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  78.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2725.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  70.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2738.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  101.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2739.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  91.9 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    My favorite beef part to put on the smoker..... Brontosaurus (Chuck) ribs.

Peel the fascia, trim some extra fat, rub with brown mustard and then seasoned with Montreal and some extra garlic powder. 24 hours in the fridge.
    Stick a probe in it and then 2 hours in the smoker on low (it was 107'F here yesterday, so, "low" was about 190'F +/-.
    Turn it up to 225'F until it reached 190'F internal. About 5 hours total smoking time.
    Wrap (foil... I need to buy some butcher paper one of these days) and rest in the cooler for an hour.

Every morsel disappeared. Poof!
    Will need to do a 4 or 5 bone next time to have some chance for leftovers.

Name:  Ribs.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  105.6 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Searing steak with weed burner!

I sous vide cooked some lean, grass fed beef round steaks at 131 degrees for 18 hours. Turned this cheap, tough cut of meat into a tender, delectable delight!

Here is a link to a video of me searing them with a Harbor Frieght weed burner!

https://youtu.be/IZ1iTmpmhvk

Here is a picture of it seared and plated. I melted a little butter on each one after the sear.

So good!

Watch the two videos on brisket above and notice how the Meat Church guy cuts his flat slices. That's the right way.. roughly 90deg to the grain. It makes a far more tender slice this way. The other dude cut square with the end of the flat and I find that makes a tougher cut.

User Tag List