Page 52 of 152 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Cool!

Keep us posted and good luck!
    Almost the best steak I've ever made.
    The temp got away from me and it's a few degrees overdone, but very awesome.

Rubbed it last night with my usual smoking rub. Some brown sugar in addition to the Kosher salt, granulated garlic, coarse ground pepper, onion powder and a bit of Cayenne. I could see where you could go with Montreal or something less sweet, but I was in the mood for something sweet.

Put it in the smoker at 230'F with a probe set at 105'F. Barely an hour later the alarm goes off and I haven't even started the grill yet, so I cut off the pellet smoker and opened the cover. By the time I got the grill hot enough to sear, the temp was 112'F. Not good.

Seared for 2 minutes a side and covered lightly at 125'F.
    After 10 minutes rest the temp was 132'F. Over by about 7 to my liking.

I'll blame it on a customer call I wasn't expecting.

My son is on serving 3 and his GF decided she was hungry after all and grabbed a plate.
    I will not be passing up this cut for some time. Wife is out of town. Sent pics. Jealousy ensued.

You need to pay attention to cutting it correctly and the temperature, but, really easy and delicious.
    It's like a Flat Iron steak and a Filet had a baby.

Name:  TT1.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  69.1 KB Name:  TT2.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  86.1 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Almost the best steak I've ever made.
    The temp got away from me and it's a few degrees overdone, but very awesome.

Rubbed it last night with my usual smoking rub. Some brown sugar in addition to the Kosher salt, granulated garlic, coarse ground pepper, onion powder and a bit of Cayenne. I could see where you could go with Montreal or something less sweet, but I was in the mood for something sweet.

Put it in the smoker at 230'F with a probe set at 105'F. Barely an hour later the alarm goes off and I haven't even started the grill yet, so I cut off the pellet smoker and opened the cover. By the time I got the grill hot enough to sear, the temp was 112'F. Not good.

Seared for 2 minutes a side and covered lightly at 125'F.
    After 10 minutes rest the temp was 132'F. Over by about 7 to my liking.

I'll blame it on a customer call I wasn't expecting.

My son is on serving 3 and his GF decided she was hungry after all and grabbed a plate.
    I will not be passing up this cut for some time. Wife is out of town. Sent pics. Jealousy ensued.

You need to pay attention to cutting it correctly and the temperature, but, really easy and delicious.
    It's like a Flat Iron steak and a Filet had a baby.

Name:  TT1.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  69.1 KB Name:  TT2.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  86.1 KB
    Looks good!

Glad you liked it!

A lot of people like to refer to it as Poor Man's prime rib. Personally, it beats any prime rib I've ever tried, at least in restaurants.

If you really, really want a treat, save up some money and get yourself a wagyu tri-tip. It blows pretty much anything else I've ever had beef wise away.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Looks good!

Glad you liked it!

A lot of people like to refer to it as Poor Man's prime rib. Personally, it beats any prime rib I've ever tried, at least in restaurants.

If you really, really want a treat, save up some money and get yourself a wagyu tri-tip. It blows pretty much anything else I've ever had beef wise away.
    You need to check out Terres Major if you haven’t already. Better/heartier beef flavor and super tender similar to fillet mignon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

I love smoked mullet, and I love fried catfish, so I think I’m going to have to try this next weekend.

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    You need to check out Terres Major if you haven’t already. Better/heartier beef flavor and super tender similar to fillet mignon.

Had to look it up.
    http://completecarnivore.com/what-is-the-teres-major/

We have one real butcher in town. I'll have to ask.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Had to look it up.
    http://completecarnivore.com/what-is-the-teres-major/

We have one real butcher in town. I'll have to ask.
    Reverse sear it using pecan splits/chunks and for the sear make sure your fire is super hot. Let the flame engulf the steak, the cut is pretty lean so really watch your time. I finish mine to @ 121F and rest about 5-10 min. If you can find a good chimichurri sauce it will really make the flavors pop. We’ve been using this brand for the last few times and have really enjoyed it.

https://www.amazon.com/Gaucho-Ranch-...=chimi&sr=8-26

Looks interesting. May have to try that one out.

Since it's from the shoulder I wonder if it's basically the equivalent of the" money meat " that you see with pork shoulders.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    If you can find a good chimichurri sauce it will really make the flavor pop.
    This chimichurri recipe from Emeril Lagasse is a family favorite. One of the few meals my teenage daughter changes her social calender for. I've only done grilled flap or flank steaks though. Will have to broaden my horizons.

https://www.emerils.com/127089/skirt...michurri-sauce

I'm into pellet grills. I have tried just about everything and they work best for me and my lifestyle.

I have an old GMG Daniel Boone, a GMG Davy Crockett with Wifi and I just ordered a Country Smokers Traveler which should be in by this Friday.
    Name:  IMG_4977.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  71.2 KB

I do have a couple of gassers, a Weber Q and a cheap Dyna Glow 2 burner from Home Depot.

Here are some recent cooks:

Pork Sirloin. Slow cooked at 225 with pecan pellets to a finished temp of 145F
    Name:  IMG_5106.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  54.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_5107.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  88.4 KB

Smoked meatloaf. One of our favorites!
    Name:  IMG_5042.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  85.6 KB

Mesquite smoked hot wings:
    Name:  IMG_5025.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  77.4 KB

Hickory smoked pulled pork for a nice pulled pork salad!
    Name:  IMG_5008.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  72.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_5006.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  101.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_5008.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  72.2 KB

Smoked Baby Backs:
    Name:  IMG_5004.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  51.0 KB

Grass fed beef short ribs
    Name:  IMG_5095.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  55.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by JclInAtx View Post
    This chimichurri recipe from Emeril Lagasse is a family favorite. One of the few meals my teenage daughter changes her social calender for. I've only done grilled flap or flank steaks though. Will have to broaden my horizons.

https://www.emerils.com/127089/skirt...michurri-sauce
    I’ll have to check that out, thanks!

User Tag List