Page 90 of 152 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Cowboy Kent Rollins on Youtube just had an amazing video on the Ruben Sandwich. He cured his own brisket to corned beef, then smoked it to pastrami. YUM. Really kinda interested in making it happen. I went through a phase last year of perfecting my Ruben. Got my Russian Dressing down...Home made saurkraut...et al...

<wiping drool off of chin> the sandwich is a native of the next big city from my father in law's super small home town.

According to Wiki whatsis pastrami makes it a Rachel. Corned beef is the original Ruben. Am I wrong for liking smoked corned beef? (Rhetorical, no, I am not wrong.)

pat
    Nothing wrong in loving pastrami. Nothing at all. Some rye bread, brown mustard. Life is good. Significantly shortened, but good.

Site Supporter
    Wife and I have been binging on Tomatillo Salsa recently. She found a fresh-ingredients (no sugar or preservatives) recipe she likes and we're eating it on everything from fish to salads to tacos. Today we got smart and just made a giant batch. 5+ pounds of Tomatillos, half dozen jalapenos, large yellow onion, 2 full heads of garlic. Cut everything up and put everything in the smoker on low for 90 minutes. Then up to 400'F for the ramp time plus 5 minutes. Peel the garlic cloves, add kosher salt, cilantro, fresh lime juice (I was pushing for some cayenne and ancho powder, but lost). Blend and jar. Got some very good smoke on this batch. That's an 80oz Walmart sized pickle jug. Might last us 2 weeks at current rate of consumption.

Name:  Salsa.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  50.4 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

This thread, and this video, have reminded me that I’m overdue for some beef rib smoking.

I love this guy, and his dorky enthusiasm.

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Couldn’t get any “dinosaur” ribs on short notice so wound up doing beef back ribs, which I’ve had decent results with in the past. Don’t know if I was distracted too much during the cook or if they were just a bad sample (I think it was probably both) but now I’m resolved to find a better cut for the coming weekend.

Before cooking these I had to clean out the ash from my fore box. As much as I love my Good One it’s times like those that I want to start looking for something different, possibly even a pellet cooker. With the smoker all set up under the tiki, dragging the ash box out across the patio was far more annoying that I’d expected and left ash everywhere. Which is equal parts my fault that I let it get too full.

I’d really love it if there was a way to clean out the ash from the bottom of the thing.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Went by Wild Fork today. First time visiting. Picked up two racks of beef short ribs (one 6lbs, one 4lbs), some trout filets, and a tri tip. I've never done a tri tip before but I keep seeing a lot of folks cooking them so why not. Folks seem to recommend a high heat sear at the end for tri tip and my Good One is perfect for that! I think a lot of folks do some sous vide, then smoke, then sear too so maybe that's the way to go.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Went by Wild Fork today. First time visiting. Picked up two racks of beef short ribs (one 6lbs, one 4lbs), some trout filets, and a tri tip. I've never done a tri tip before but I keep seeing a lot of folks cooking them so why not. Folks seem to recommend a high heat sear at the end for tri tip and my Good One is perfect for that! I think a lot of folks do some sous vide, then smoke, then sear too so maybe that's the way to go.
    FWIW, I find it difficult to get enough smoke on a tri tip, since it heats up pretty quickly. You might want to start out as cold as possible on both the smoker temp and the raw meat temp. Also, last time I did tri tip, I smoked it as long as I dared, then rested and refrigerated it overnight. Then seared it the next day from a cold start. Best results I've gotten so far. Refrigerating the smoked tip overnight gave me enough time to get a good sear on it with much less risk of overcooking (we like rare to medium-rare steak), vs trying to sear when the internal temp is already +/- 95 or so.

Love those beef short ribs. Low and slow. Hard to screw up. Lots of fat, so, lots of flavor.

Enjoy!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Trust me...smoke till 115f pull and let sit until your fire is kicked up and then sear the shit out of it, you want it to have a killer crust to it. Let it sit 5-10min before your slice. I’ve really started liking this seasoning on tri tip https://jesspryles.com/hardcore-carnivore-black-rub/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I can't upload pics from my phone for some reason, but the ribs I did turned out excellent. Definitely the most tender ones I've done. The KJ's temperature control is so spot on and I didn't have to deal with spikes and refueling like I do in my cheap offset. This thing is ridiculously efficient. I smoked two full racks of pork ribs, 20 lbs of chicken, then removed one of the heat shields and grilled five flat iron steaks and am finishing up 3 lbs of lemon pepper party wings. I probably have just under half of my coals still, and from my test burn shutting off the top and bottom vent will smother the fire and save them.

No buyer's remorse here. The Big Joe was worth it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Name:  20210317_202521.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  20210317_200242.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  66.6 KB
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Name:  20210317_202521.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  20210317_200242.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  66.6 KB
    May not be a technical part of the forum, but is a technical thread. Pics without text, no bueno...

pat

User Tag List